Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) has died?! :(

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lewis, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

You can write a memoir and call it, "How I Became a Slop Artist!" :rofl:

2. Spaced Out Ace

Why were they taken off streaming platforms? Did they come out and say they supported Marduk or some shit?

3. Spaced Out Ace

4. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I saw them on that same tour in Tampa/Ybor City and Trivium was not welcomed. I'd say that about 90% of the crowd was there for CoB and Amon Amarth and the Trivium fans were all high schoolers or younger. They were booed that night before they even took the stage, but no one threw anything at them. I'll give Trivium credit, they tried to get the crowd into it and played well, but it was such a bad mismatch that night I felt sad for them, especially being so close to their home town. I saw Trivium again about 2 or 3 years later as an opener on another tour and it was a totally opposite experience, very well received.

5. Spaced Out Ace

Good for them. Trivium is awesome. I'm glad they've made a career out of it, even if (at the time, at least) I found some of the albums pretty lackluster.

mastapimp likes this.
  6. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

My guess is that it was just harder coming up in Florida, where some of the original death metal bands formed and the crowd is more seasoned to that kinda stuff. They viewed Trivium, at the time, as like their baby brother's version of heavy music...not quite up to their standards. Half the crowd was wearing Morbid Angel, Obituary, Death shirts...they weren't ready to welcome Trivium into their rotation just yet.

Flappydoodle and aesthyrian like this.
  7. Spaced Out Ace

Interesting observation, and likely spot on. Once they became home state heroes, as it were, they began to embrace them.

8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Not true, I was just listening to Suicide by My Side a few weeks ago and the other albums are definitely on Spotify as well. Could be restricted by region though.

Oh, and here's Alexi's parts from the aforementioned Guitar World issue:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jttZ69xMBrSEvow47

I hope it's all readable, it was pretty hard to get a picture of the shiny pages without reflections.

The exact words were:

"You can't play like John Petrucci and be in an extreme metal band. It just doesn't work."
    and
    "There are lots of guitar players out there who play super fast and super well, but they're also super lame. Like Dream Theater. It's not even music, it's sports. And then there are guys who concentrate on all the little details and never fuck up one note when they play live. You know what? That's not cool! If you're going crazy onstage and miss a note or two, who gives a shit? It just shows you were really into it. Though I suppose that pretending to be a rock star and not being able to play at all is even worse."

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    aesthyrian likes this.
  9. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Like many, COB completely changed the extreme metal landscape permanently when they came out. Say what you want about some of their mid-career albums, those first 3 studio albums still to this day blow my dick completely off. Alexi Laiho has always been in my top 3 guitarists of all time. I'm deeply saddened by this. I feel like he made mistakes, tried to get better, but unfortunately it caught up with him.

Watching some of the Bodom After Midnight live songs he was playing really well, a lot cleaner than he used to. Although, the one time I was fortunate enough to see him live he was insane.

Whenever Follow the Reaper came out I learned every song note for note... To the best of my ability anyways. I had a complete man crush on him.

I even bought a RR24 day 1 they went on sale. This guitar sucked dick.

Rest in peace brother. You brought joy to many and changed music forever.

Masoo2, aesthyrian, slan and 2 others like this.
  10. Rikardo

Rikardo SS.org Regular

And they did. According to local newspaper they did watch some videos about Alexi before the bronze game to get the fighting spirit on. Coincidentally the game ended 4 - 1.

I wasn't a huge fan of CoB but still get teary eyed when I read all the nice things about Alexi.

CM_X5 and Manurack like this.
  11. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

Was a big fan around Follow The Reaper, didn't really follow them so much since though. I couldn't play any of their songs at the time, but Alexi for sure inspired me to get more into extreme metal and the whole shred thing. RIP

Musiscience likes this.
  12. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I'm glad they did. Alexi Laiho was a huge influence in the guitar world and it's nice that Finland recognized him during the IIHF World Jrs.

Edit: that game was awesome against Russia! Finland got two goals on the empty net and it was nice finally yell at the TV lol

But I was definitely disappointed when Team Canada lost 2 - 0 against the Yankees.

Masoo2, Ataraxia2320 and Rikardo like this.
  13. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

I used to watch videos from that Korea show all the time. I specifically remember that performance of Kissing the Shadows was the best thing ever to me at the time (probably 2003-4). Alexi shredding that Jackson is still the epitome of cool.

If we're doing CoB deep cuts, there was a bunch of other videos that used to float around on the P2P networks back in the day. Three that I remember watching a lot were the performances of Lake Bodom at Wacken 1998 and in Japan 1999, plus their show from the 2001 Mystic Festival.

14. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I wonder how bad jackson were/are kicking themselves in the ass given how well the alexi sig sold

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Enough to where they made an unofficial Alexi sig for awhile

[​IMG]

Alberto7, c7spheres, setsuna7 and 2 others like this.
  16. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

There was a thread here recently where we were discussing why the split with Jackson happened, considering how boneheaded it seemed.

I'm headed to bed so I can't go into all the details now. Most people know Alexi's two Jackson custom shop RRs (the 'Wildchild' and 'Stone' guitars) were stolen at a party after a show in Finland. Alexi went to Jackson and requested replacements and Jackson gave him an estimate of like 1-2 years to get it done. His side of the story was basically that he was just another customer to Jackson and not treated like an endorsed artist. I'd assume Jackson's side of the story was that, even if they jumped him to the front of the custom shop queue, they had limited manpower at the time and could not build a guitar in just a couple months so he could go out back on tour. The Jackson of the early 2000s was a shadow of what it once was, or even of what it is today.

So Alexi went to ESP and the rest is history. I'm sure Jackson regrets how it went down even if it was an unavoidable situation at the time. Alexi Laiho is the most famous RR player of the last 20+ years and maybe the most famous V player of any type over that same period. He was also an up-and-coming artist, so it was fresh blood compared to Slayer or whoever else.

Anyway. I hope someday Alexi's stolen Jacksons resurface. If they don't go to a worthy player, I hope they go to a museum or something where they can be seen. To my teenage self, those things are holy relics :lol:

17. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR SS.org Regular

I'm always suprised how badly Jackson handeled this situation. Correct me if I'm wrong but at that time Jackson just wasnt "cool" guitar (for metal) as it seemed that everybody wanted/was using ESP or Ibanez. Jackson was old mans 80s shreders company and not cool in modern metal. I truly believe that at that time COB were one of the bigger bands that were really promoting Jackson guitars in metal scene. Only other big name that I can think of was Phil Collens. My opinion is that Jackson was focused on USA artists.
    But not all blame is on Jackson side probably (we'll never know at this point now). Maybe Alexi was all or nothing so he wasnt goint to settle for compromise or was just to offended to even consider some sort of compromise (custom shop guitar in one year but can user regular USA made jackson for time being). He still had his RR with green bevels (or maybe it was Roopes?). I'm sure he could find one one for upcoming tour. Maybe he was to head strong and this is not always really good. Lets not forget that all old members left and even Alexi admited that is was probably something that he did.
    I was really hoping that someday he would get back to Jackson.

18. Spaced Out Ace

I always heard that they were tossed in a river and weren't stolen. Ahhh, those were the days!

19. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

Well the story was that they were stolen in Mexico, not Finland(if that info is still correct). The river thing was a stupid rumor by some guy on the COB forum that he(Alexi) threw them into the ocean because of his failing marriage with Kimberly. There's no credibility to that at all.

20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I think it was rumored that they were thrown in a lake (not Bodom I guess).
    I found the whole situation very weird too, you'd imagine if Jackson said 1-2 years for new customs that they'd give him some modified production model in the meantime or something... But yeah, he went with ESP and those guitars are cool too, so I don't mind.
    When I was buying my LTD V, I talked to the owner of the music store about Jacksons as well (because I would've preferred an RR), and he told me the importer in Finland was a major pain in the ass. Apparently in order to get a couple of RR's they would've been forced to order hundreds of Stratocasters too. Maybe the importer also had something to do with Alexi jumping ship... ?

By the way, I just realized where the MM04 pre-amp name probably comes from. Someone mentioned the Finnish ESP dealer originally making it for Alexi - well, the name of the ESP import company in Finland is MusaMaailma, hence MM, and the initial version was probably made in '04 :)

Ataraxia2320 and Kaura like this.