Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) has died?! :(

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lewis, Jan 4, 2021.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

RIP to the man
    41?

No idea what happened yet but a statement form the other members have been published through the Bodom fan page -

Statement from Bodom After Midnight:
    It is with heavy hearts and great sadness that we have to announce the passing of Alexi Laiho. We are absolutely devastated and heartbroken for the sudden loss of our dear friend and band member. Our journey together as a band had only just begun so there’s no words to describe the shock and the bottomless grief that all of us feel.
    May your soul rest in peace, you will be eternally missed. We love you brother.
    Our deepest condolences go to his family. No further announcements nor interviews will be given at this time. We kindly ask to respect our need to process and go through this terrible situation in privacy. Thank you for your understanding and support.
    Daniel, Mitja & Waltteri

https://www.facebook.com/bodomaftermidnightofficial/

I loved their first few albums. So 2021 has instantly carried on where 2020 left off

2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Rest in peace, dude was one of the greatest influencers for me. Totally devastated and saddened.

3. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Shocked. Haven't been a huge fan of the band in years, but this is shocking nontheless.

4. Humanoid

Humanoid SS.org Regular

Yes. There was just info in the Finnish media that he has passed away last week.

works0fheart and lewis like this.
  5. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Shocking news. RIP Alexi.

feilong29, works0fheart and lewis like this.
  6. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

No no no no no no no

I got the biggest wave of anxiety when I read his name, thinking to myself "please tell me he didn't fuckin' die."

The first 4 albums and the Inearthed demos were some of my favorites when I first got into extreme metal as a teenager, and last year or maybe late 2019, I rediscovered them after almost 15 years... I think I enjoy them now more than I did back then.

RIP Alexi. :(

7. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Blytheryn, works0fheart and lewis like this.
  8. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

No way no way no way!! I can't even believe this. I have dreaded this day. The most influential guitar player of my life. Wow, RIP Wild Child.

9. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

I can't find words. Will remember him, he is the one who inspired me to play guitar. What a devastating news. He was so young, starting new chapter. Fuck.

10. Sammy J

Sammy J SS.org Regular

Damn man, this blows. Hadn’t paid attention to much they’ve done since “In Your Face”, but I used to really love this band once upon a time. Thanks for the music and the memories, Alexi. RIP.

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Really sad.
    I know he hasnt looked that well for quite some time but this is still a huge shock.
    When I was teaching myself guitar about 12 years ago, I well well into this band and he was an influence.

I saw them live in my local city one time and felt so sorry for them because whilst they were abit too drunk for my liking, they got bombarded with shit by the fans which pissed me off alot. I enjoyed it and seemed to know songs that no one else in the crowd did.

BenSolace and works0fheart like this.
  12. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Unbelievable.

lewis likes this.
  13. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

This is shocking he is way too young. I had such a huge phase of loving CoB, Hatebreeder through to Bloodrunk... few Twitter news updates say he had been suffering with health issues for the last few years. So sad as he was an incredible guitarist by his late teens

BlackMastodon, works0fheart and lewis like this.
  14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Oh man, don't know what to say... The guy was the reason I really started to practice the guitar and it became more than a hobby thanks to that. What a shitty start to the year :(

works0fheart and lewis like this.
  15. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

I listened to COB so much in my teens. I still love to play some of those songs and solo's.

:(

16. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

So sad to hear this :(

His music has always been a very big influence on me, COB was one of the bands that got me into metal way back. I still remember the day a friend played Downfall to me when I was a kid, 20 or so years ago. I loved it instantly. Then I bought my own copy of Hatebreeder and listened to it lots, especially on summer nights and any time I had been to a lake.

works0fheart likes this.
  17. Atefred

Atefred SS.org Regular

Way to start the year... Alexi was a total beast, will very much miss his music...

works0fheart and Louis Cypher like this.
  18. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

No word on the cause of death? 41 is super young. One article vaguely said long term health problems

works0fheart likes this.
  19. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

What. The. Fuck. I saw some documentary not too long ago, I think the recording of Hexed, I don't remember really, Laiho looked really skinny, but then he always kinda was, I remember thinking maybe he was sick or something. Fucking hell. I didn't much like CoB post Follow the Reaper, but the first three albums were legendary. Hyper-melodic, classicaly inspired blend of melodeath, a touch of thrash and power metal. I think only Kalmah's early albums had something similar going on, off the top of my head. They still absolutely hold up to this day. Rest in peace.

works0fheart likes this.
  20. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

He looked great during the recorded Bodom After Midnight shows, this is a big surprise.

setsuna7 and works0fheart like this.