Alex Skolnick

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by distressed_romeo, Nov 8, 2006.

1. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

'I think Alex is a great guitar player, but his leads don't really fit Testament's music'. Dan Spitz

Just read this quote in a 'history of shred' article. Discuss.

(Personally I don't agree. I thought the fact that he didn't play like the stereotypical thrash guitarist was one of the things that really made Testament stand out).

2. kung_fu

kung_fu Vulcan Lute God

that quote has always pissed me off. I don't think dan meant anything by it, i just happen to disagree. That's an onld "guitar for he practising musician" quote.

3. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Danny liked making comments like that. He's wrong - Alex's leads were very much part of what made Testament what they were...

4. grim tr00 kvlt

grim tr00 kvlt Bleed the Freak

Spitz always makes dumbass comments.

5. Vince

Vince Contributor

Dan Spitz isn't exactly the paramount of shred, either.

Alex Skolnick was and is an incredible guitarist adaptable to any situation.

6. 7slinger

7slinger wake up dead Contributor

I always thought alot of Danny's leads fit better with local crap bands than with one of the biggest bands (at the time) in metal...

don't know why he would feel compelled to make a comment like that about somebody who could play him into the ground at age 16

7. distressed_romeo

Apparently Spitz didn't even come up with a lot of his own leads; they were dictated to him by Charlie Benante.

8. Vince

Vince Contributor

9. Cancer

Cancer Cancer:The Crucifuct

Too bad Alex didn't think so, before the reunion he used to complain bitterly about how "boring metal was", and how he hated to "always play in E"...

Skolnick was a hero of mine back in the day, and one of few who solos I ever really tried to cop, but anti-metal attitude pissed me off and I found myself resenting him for basically using metal to make a name for himself.

10. distressed_romeo

That's not really fair. He joined the band when he was very young on the advice of Joe Satriani. Apparently he wasn't sure at first, as he wasn't into thrash, but Joe told him it would be good to just go out and tour. Judging by later interviews with him, it wasn't that he disliked metal as a whole, it's just that he was interested in experimenting more, whereas Testament just wanted to keep playing thrash.

11. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Man, i have yet to see something from Dan on the caliber of, say, the lead from First Strike Is Deadly..

And i totally support anythign Alex does. he's a badass guitar player no matter what genre, and he wants to play jazz more, more power to him. he was and always will be one of the best lead players in thrash history.

12. DDDorian

DDDorian Mantis Toboggan, M.D Super Moderator

I agree that as a player Alex didn't (perhaps still doesn't) fit with Testament; as his influence over the band grew the leads became more interesting but the songs themselves became worse and worse. I'm glad he left the band when he did, because I like his playing and have enjoyed the other projects he's worked on, as well as the much heavier direction Testament took after he left.

I tend to agree with him being a fair-weather metal fan too, but that's neither here nor there, as long as he's still playing with Testament when they come here in February he can think what he likes.

(and, for the record, wile Spitz' lead style had no charisma whatsoever I could sing more of his leads off the top of my head than I could Hammett's or Slayer's, which probably means something)

13. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Don’t be afraid to fart when you pee.

Goddamnit LOL, in all seriosness, I think his parts fit in just fine. Thats part of the reason we liked them right? They were a lil different. And Dan Spitz, well I BETCHA CANT PLAY THIS! http://www.guitarworld.com/archives/2005/08/danny_spitz_of.html

Anthrax will always have a special spot in my brain, but his solos certainly werent the paramount of the music. Some were ALOT better than others.

14. Metal Ken

I dont know, i think the leads on both of the first two discs fit very well.. especially the first lead on the clean part of Eerie Inhabitants. (in the middle of the song, not the clean intro)

15. DDDorian

Yeah, I was thinking of Practice What You Preach and beyond when I wrote that. Practice... is still such a disappointment even to this day, although that has just as much to do with the guitar/bass tone as the songwriting.

I always thought Disciples Of The Watch or Return To Serenity had the coolest solos, for what it's worth.

16. Metal Ken

I liked Practice a lot, its the first Testament disc i got.. i got it for 2$ at a flea market and its still got osme of my fav songs on it. i love the solo in Practice What You Preach and especially Sins of Omission and Blessed In Contempt

17. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

I don't know how he could say that. If someone asked me "Who is your favorite thrash metal lead guitarist?" without pause, I would answer "Alex Skolnick."

The solos in "Over The Wall" are just amazing. The first time I heard them, they completely blew me away. To me, the most unique and interesting aspect of Testament was Alex Skolnick's solos. They fit PERFECTLY in my mind.

And, DDDorian, you might not like "Practice What You Preach," but it's one of my favorite Testament songs, has an amazing solo in it, and the album is excellent.

I'm with Ken on this. Alex Skolnick's work in Testament was amazing and if he wants to play jazz now, all the more power to him.

I don't think Danny Spitz knows what the hell he's talking about. Either that, or he was just saying whatever the hell came to mind. Skolnick is/was a much better guitarist than Spitz was or will ever be.

18. Dive-Baum

Dive-Baum Bite Me Fan Boy!!

It always kinda pissed me off to hear Alex bitch about "Having" to play metal. And that he really didn't like it and wanted to do something else. He was / is so incredibly gifted and was in a position of such esteem at that time. I idolized him and tried to pull off his licks constantly back then, but that always pissed me off. He was living the life and seemed to resent it. I loved Anthrax. Still do (without JB) I thought they defined thrash metal back then. Alex was obviously more skilled but Danny was more fun to listen to. Maybe it was because of the overall music, as I never really idolized Danny. I just enjoyed listening to his band more. I think that is a totally shitty quote about Alex though. It is total crap. IMO Alex is one of those players that is truly great.

19. DDDorian

I wasn't trying to put down Practice..., just stating that, having heard what Testament went onto releasing without him, I believe that Spitz was right in saying that he didn't really suit the band. They obviously wanted to go in a heavier direction and Alex seems to be the one who was pushing them in a more hard rock direction.

I certainly don't mind that they went in the rock direction for a while; Souls Of Black and The Ritual are both great albums and, as I said before, Alex's soloing just got better and better from album to album. Practice... just seems like an anomaly for me as they seemed to try to mix the rock and the thrash to varying degrees of success. Even when they went purely in one direction (such as with Blessed In Contempt) the guitar and bass tones just kinda annoyed me. I'm no synaesthesic but when I hear those songs I immediately think "brown". Ugh.

Anyways, it's still a good album and I don't want to disparage anyone who doesn't own it from going out and buying it. Long live Testament and Alex Skolnick!

20. Cancer

Cancer Cancer:The Crucifuct

....and just for the record I think Spitz solos were fine, he a fast clean picker, and he has interesting scale choices. Spitz's downfall was tone, he used the same tones (basically) for his rhythms as he did for his leads, so his leads alway sounded buried.

Skolnick used more midrange is his solo tones so they cut through better. He is actually the best example of ADA MP-1 tone out there.