Alesis Q88 USB MIDI Keyboard Controller questions

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by WarMachine, Nov 2, 2019.

1. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Sorry if this is the wrong section to be asking, couldn't find anything for keyboards lol. I've been thinking about picking up a keyboard to record my orchestral tracks thru midi and found this:

https://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEQ88?siid=126560

It reads like it should but doesn't come right out and say. But does anyone know if this can be used to record MIDI using the USB port on the back? I'm using an M-Audio M-Track 2x2 C-Series and it does not have any MIDI Ins/Outs. And if this doesn't take MIDI input do you guys know of anything else this size and around this price point that would work? I'm getting sick of making tracks using the graph + mouse click on notes in Reaper..

2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Dude I use a couple M-Audio keyboards.....should work. My interface (Apogee Duet) doesn't support it, so I run it thru a USB hub. Shouldn't be any issue for you, but there's cheaper out there if all you want is keys. M-Audio makes decent stuff and I got my last 88 key on eBay for like $80.

USB out>USB hub>comp>software>interface to listen thru.

WarMachine likes this.
  3. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Yup. It says right on the specs : USB-powered for single-cable operation so you will get midi over usb. To control hardware you need to add the power adapter and a midi cable to it.

WarMachine likes this.
  4. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Also, not for nothing but I remember a couple of your tracks that featured orchestral stuff; the fact that you did that shit WITHOUT using a keyboard is pretty impressive sir.

WarMachine likes this.
  5. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

@axxessdenied, thanks dude! looks like i'll be picking one up soon then lol.

@steinmetzify thanks broski! It definitely can be done for sure but damn does it take FOREVER to do that way lol. Clicking points on a grid in the midi editor of Reaper gets tedious for sure.