Albums most people love but you think are abhorrent.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bogner, Sep 24, 2020.

1. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

This is a fair take APC and Failure rule ass

Koloss isn’t my favorite but it’s way more memorable than The Violent Sleep of Reason

fps likes this.
  2. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Ah man, I really liked The Violent Sleep of Reason. Koloss, eh.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  3. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

I think Carey himself is the one who started the mystic drum pattern thing. But yeah I agree that Tool Fan Boys are some of the worst.

Edika likes this.
  4. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

Oh yes. In answer to the OP I nominate Joe's Garage & Sheik Yerbouti by Frank Zappa. I don't "abhor" them at all but I think they're kinda boring. I like the crazy lyrics and there are some songs I like but the music is too silly and there's a lot of it. But on the other hand, I enjoyed those songs when I first started getting into Zappa by watching old concerts on YouTube. It's much more entertaining for me to see them playing those songs.

Edit: Oh and another complaint about Joe's Garage & Sheik Yerbouti. The production is so fucking wimpy. All the instruments sound so weak except for Zappa's vocals and guitar. The bass has no girth.

Matt08642 likes this.
  5. Christopher Har V

Christopher Har V Real name: Max Prog

blasphomy!

zappatton2 likes this.
  6. Christopher Har V

Christopher Har V Real name: Max Prog

7. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

I'm glad someone else thinks similarly. I like The Demon's Name Is Surveillance, and maybe Do Not Look Down, but the album didn't make an impression on me. I've memorised the entirety of Catch 33, Nothing, ObZen and The Violent Sleep of Reason, but Koloss is very forgettable.

As said by a raging Meshuggah fanboy.

8. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Yeah I never did get the Meshuggah hype. The production on Obzen and Koloss is great but music is the definition of 0-1 riffing. The biggest waste of an 8 string I heard in my life. One or two songs are ok but listening to a whole album the songs start to bleed (hehe) to each other. Their older records have more music into them.

Maybe it's the fact that I don't like droning music that really puts me off those records. Yeah polyrythms and syncopation are great but to me they can't carry a whole album.

EDIT: Forgot half a sentence lol!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    EmaDaCuz likes this.
  9. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Defining 0-1 riffing sounds like an accomplishment actually.

XPT707FX, vilk, Edika and 3 others like this.
  10. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

I would say anything by Ghost. I've been to metal festivals and these guys attract a crowd. All I can think is, how come all these metal fans like this non-metal weak stuff? It's 99% because of the vocals I think. I'm not saying I only like brutal metal, far from it actually, but I think Ghost sounds like the equivalent of a flacid penis.

11. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

*ba-dum-tiss*

NotDonVito, fps and Bodes like this.
  12. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

That's the thing that surprises me about Ghost. They give off the impression (or at least did to me) that they wouldn't make the kind of music they do. Personally, I like them, but hey, each to their own.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  13. MFB

MFB Banned

Meshuggah walked so that Mick Gordon's "BFG Division" could run

Dayn likes this.
  14. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I don’t know that I would go as far as to call them abhorrent: but every Tool album after Undertow is lame, and becomes progressively worse each time they release something. Their fan base is beyond compression as well. Maybe Maynard has unlocked the secret meaning of the space/time continuum; or maybe he’s just writing random shit to try and sound deep? Either way - hard pass for me.

15. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

My hot takes?

Well, I'll definitely hop on the hate train for The Common Man's Collapse- It's Not Safe to Swim Today is a classic but the rest of that album was imo really, really weak. Then ID was great, but Eclipse sucked again lol. At least they're pretty consistently good now.

New BTBAM is weak also. They had a great run from The Silent Circus through The Great Misdirect but after that...I just can't listen to it and it genuinely bums me out because their earlier stuff was so good.

Architects after Lost Forever // Lost Together. All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us felt really....'safe,' and very same-y; and the new stuff since is, to me, completely underwhelming compared to stuff off LF//LT and earlier. Which...I mean, is kind of understandable given the circumstances.

Converge's Jane Doe. Which is ironic because I actually love Converge. I just can't get into the vibe on this record or its production.

Old AND NEW In Flames. Their mid-career stuff is awesome, but that's pretty much limited to stuff released in the 2000s; Reroute to Remain through A Sense of Purpose.

Everything by The Contortionist. I really tried to like them, they're crazy talented, but none of their stuff hits for me.

Planetary Duality is the worst Faceless record; meet me in the parking lot.

Anything Animals as Leaders have done after their first record. Still love 'em though; inspiring group of guys.

Miasma is my least favorite Black Dahlia record; maybe tied with Deflorate.

I will never understand the love for Altered State. One was the only good TesseracT record.

I'll hop on the Koloss hate train too; that album really just sounded like a warmup for TVSOR.

Don't.
    Most of the aggression is gone and there's more filler than ever.
    I love Tool so I still jam it, but it definitely makes me a bit sad compared to the rest of their work.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    BlackMastodon likes this.
  16. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

17. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

18. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Agree with all of the above. Never liked anything from Architects or The Contortionist, they're so goddamn boring.

Everything after Animals as Leaders s/t is repetitive and sounds like 45 minutes of slap guitar, but I like Tosin and can't argue he's a great guitarist.

One is the only Tesseract album worth a shit, the others were boring as hell, even when their first (second?) vocalist came back.

I can't think of anything else to contribute. :(

Matt08642 likes this.
  19. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Fun fact: Mick Gordon sold a 9 string he used for the Doom soundtrack to Thordendal but even he can't find any good use for it

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  20. MFB

MFB Banned

I haven't touched the DOOM Eternal soundtrack because I still have the DOOM 2016 soundtrack, and that's more than enough. Every article that kept coming out about what he was using or doing for it (9 strings, crazy sized choirs, etx) just seemed more like gimmick than necessity. Hell the 8 for DOOM 2016 is unnecessary, he could have done the same thing with a downtuned 7 or baritone 6.