Albums most people love but you think are abhorrent.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bogner, Sep 24, 2020.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

He seriously does. I often make fun of GreenDay during band rehearsals and the key to sounding like him is singing through your nose and speaking like you have a cold.

c7spheres likes this.
  2. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Legit question, are you sure you aren’t confusing those with their Doom EP?

3. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Oops I forgot to mention Pantera.

I also don't like that.

mongey and Merrekof like this.
  4. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I don’t know how anyone sits passed a minute of that bass in the mix. There’s just something so corny about it.

Even if the guitars are too high in the mix it bothers me. Like what DL did to Acacia Strain’s “Death is the Only Mortal” album.

5. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Add me in to that. The PRS Holcombs (both 6 and 7) are my main go-to guitars I play 90% of the time. The Alpha/Omega PUs are basically what I'd chose as my own "signature" PUs.

I never really listened to a single Periphery song back to back. Never made it through.

I don't know if I just don't get the sarcasm in your quote, but you do realize that in that case you basically can't listen to any record from the last 20 years?

I don't know a single album that doesn't tweak the vocals in a way. Sure, you will not really be able to hear it, as autotune's whole purpose is to correct pitch without anyone noticing (before Cher started using it as a vocal effect and Kanye started abusing it as whatever the fuck he does), but autotune (or melodyne etc.) is still on almost every, at least semi-professional, album out there.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I was referring to the cringey auto tune that is used as an effect. Not the same thing as layering, compression, EQ, etc that is obviously used on most albums, regardless of genre.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

yeah, my bad. Doom was the pig squeal meme album. I went back and listened to their whole discography this morning. Ruination and Genesis are pretty straightforward DM albums.

Obsidian Soul and Bearitone like this.
  8. binz

binz SS.org Regular

I think his point is that beyond layering, compression and EQ, every production* of the last 20 years has had pitch-correction - even though it is not always obvious.

*obviously not literally every, but probably 95% of what made it to spotify or iTunes

9. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I think autotune sucks donkey balls.

10. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Meshuggah's Koloss. I thought ObZen was fantastic and the Bleed riff was mind-blowing, etc. I was really looking forward to more and then when I heard songs from Koloss they all sounded like the most boring, uninteresting parts from ObZen. That and all the fanboyism over Meshuggah really turned me off from them and they've turned into a once in a while thing.

Edika likes this.
  11. Thorshammer1980

Thorshammer1980 SS.org Regular

I'm a death/black/thrash/viking metal guy.

- A lot of the early stuff I grew up with and loved from the 80s and 90s is now hard for me to listen to because of the sound quality. I have to be in a nostalgic mood to listen to a lot of it. But I've been listening to some of the same band since 1988.
    - I hate fretless bass in technical death metal. Drives me nuts.
    - I hate metal music that mixes clean vocals and scream/guttural vocals except for Lacuna Coil because I use to have a huge crush on Cristina Scabbia when I was younger.

Adieu likes this.
  12. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

Agreed on Suneater.I remember being stoked to hear it,and the bass was too loud so I just cut it off.I might try to give it a spin after all these years.I actually liked all their stuff prior.

Deftones Ohms.It's better than Gore as I can only remember Prayer/Triangles,but sometimes the guitar riffs are really simple,which I don't mind,but there are usually nothing behind it like a synth or ambient guitar melody to fill out the soundscape.

All the old school rock and metal stuff.The production is way too dated.

The old Veil of Maya stuff.The guitars are gated so hard that the balls are missing.

I could go on...

13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I wouldn't say I think they're abhorrent, but I can't really get into most modern progressive bands that are just djenting about in what feels like half-time. Like Monuments, Tesseract, Born of Osiris ... just to name a few. They have some really cool stuff going on, but I just can't get into them because of the lack of 200+bpm riffage that beats the shit out of you :lol:

Matt08642 likes this.
  14. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Cowboys from Hell. That album has 3 songs on it: noise, Cemetery Gates and noise part 2

works0fheart likes this.
  15. 7enderbender

7enderbender SS.org Regular

I’ve been a Dream Theater fan since the very early days. And I think “Scenes from a Memory” was their worst album - until the Disney Princess record. Highly unpopular viewpoint among the DT crowd.

16. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Why does it make you less interested in a band if they become popular? I've never understood this way of thinking. Not attacking you, I'm genuinely curious.

XPT707FX, Rosal76 and binz like this.
  17. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

There's always solace to be taken, that no matter how "popular" your favorite niche artist gets, they're still probably either overwhelmingly unpopular or unheard of to the majority of the population.

vilk likes this.
  18. BlackMastodon

Not so much I hated them because of how popular they got, moreso because I didn't get it. Everyone was talking about them like they're god-tier and the best thing to happen to modern music and I just didn't see it, especially because everyone talked about how good Koloss was and I thought it was shit. Even going back and listening to Nothing, most of the album doesn't do anything for me. It's a weird phenomenon to get into a band when they release your favourite album but the rest doesn't come close and then the follow up doesn't live up to your own expectations. There's probably a word in German for that.

Edika, works0fheart and akinari like this.
  19. Urgo

Urgo SS.org Regular

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  20. BlackMastodon

I like Tool and Maynard. Don't think they're phenomenal or buy into any of the sacred geometry dogshit but they're cool.

And I still haven't listened to Tool's last album.

And I like A Perfect Circle more than Tool.

Wait shit wrong thread!

Ordacleaphobia likes this.