Albums most people love but you think are abhorrent.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bogner, Sep 24, 2020.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Slayer even makes fun of their own fans because they're retarded. One of their show DVDs had a mini doc showcasing fans and the general idea was they were all fat, unintelligent, moms basement living losers.

Hell even ICP has more respect for their people. Slayer is a joke that was 20 years longer than it should have been and their fans should have to wear helmets.

XPT707FX and Edika like this.
  2. fps

fps Kit

I came into this thread to be annoyed, and you guys did not disappoint.

3. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

For the record, Slayer is probably my lifetime favourite band. But I'm... just.... turrable.

4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I remember that mini doc, especially that fat guy being interviewed that cried out Slayer after several semi coherent answers.

5. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I thought that the consensus on Slayer had turned negative a long time ago. It's really hard to determine which is the hotter, more contrarian take for some of these bands.

Ordacleaphobia and zappatton2 like this.
  6. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

I hate everything that anyone likes because I'm an elitist prick who only listens to black metal, and by black metal I mean authentic, raw black metal. I like it so raw that I don't even want it recorded on a cassette player duct taped to a snare drum, but rather the band just play in the forest and the static buzz of guitars be carried to me by the wind.

This might be the buzz of powerlines though. Not sure.

This only falls 2nd to the cold vacuum of space as nothing is as heavy and original as droning blackness and emptiness. Sunn O))) is the only band to successfully pull this off.

Aside from these, all other bands suck and are posers who are just copying space and its glory.

That is all.

7. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

Yeah... I'm with you on this one...

8. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Any black and death metal with shitty production, and especially when it's new bands trying to copy the production style of the old school bands who didn't have anything better to record with than a Squier with a busted bridge pickup and a Marshall practice amp with a broken speaker. Pretty much the only old school black metal albums I like are Transilvanian Hunger and In The Nightside Eclipse.

And I used to be really big into the modern instrumental prog metal/prog rock wave like Intervals/Polyphia/Animals As Leaders but lately it's just boring me to tears. There's only so much you can do with instrumental music without changing the genre up entirely even though you're as skilled as somebody like Tosin, and now when those bands are like 3-4 albums deep into their discography it's just the same thing over and over again. Javier Reyes side project, Mestis, is a lot more enjoyable to me than The Joy of Motion and The Madness of Many.

Never got into In Flames either other than a handful of songs, and I don't really know why. I should probably give them another shot

The SG King likes this.
  9. fps

fps Kit

I think there is a lot more that can be done with instrumental music, though I've always considered the bands you named to be a bit of a dead end for me in terms of connecting with it - nothing wrong with them, I just couldn't get on board. I really liked Titan To Tachyons' new album, really good.

10. Protestheriphery

Protestheriphery SS.org Regular

August Burns Red. I'll listen to "Composure" and half of some other song, then turn it off. I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal. Back in the day I remember seeing a screen cap of the guitarist roasting Black Veil Brides on Twitter (rightfully so). But immediately I thought "well, you guys arent that much better. Every single song is essentially 0000-00-0000-0-000000-00-000. By the time your fan base graduates college, they'll be on to your little dog-and-pony show, and realize the error of their ways."

Everything in Pantera's discog before Cowboys, and after Trendkill. As a matter of fact, I can only pay attention to half of Driven and Trendkill respectively. Everything onwards sounds watered down and tired.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Masoo2 and Seabeast2000 like this.
  11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I think Live 101 Proof is the best. A little bit of everything and raw. Just enough to get a Pantera fix. They're just heavier live.

- Greenday. Can't stand it. It's like Bart Simpson singing but not quite as cool as that would be.
    - And while I'm at it Blink 182. Again, it's the singing.

zappatton2 and works0fheart like this.
  12. lazenbleep

lazenbleep SS.org Regular

(What's the Story) Morning Glory? by Oasis defo

zappatton2 likes this.
  13. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Take that back. That album is underrated as fuck in term of being a prog death metal album. Never really got its dues tbh.

Taylor, Necky379 and KnightBrolaire like this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire neuken in de keuken

Sun Eater is legit their only good album

ADADAD and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  15. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Demonocracy was pretty great tbh. But Sun Eater is when JFAC truly grows some balls and some Death-like maturity. Too bad they didn't tour for the album and generally people just forgot it. The fretless bass should probably be a little bit lower in the mix though. I get that it is fretless and you want to show it off but it is obnoxious loud in the mix as the band wants to make the fretless bass as basically the 3rd guitar vs an actual bass. In fact I'd say that Sun Eater was pretty much the precursor for a lot of the modern tech death band mixing their fretless bass up so much.

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire neuken in de keuken

Yeah Demonocracy was good but it just never stands out in my mind the way Sun Eater did. Sun Eater was the first album that actually made me gain some respect for JFAC. Prior to that they were basically a giant fucking meme of pig squeals and breakdowns *cough* Genesis/Ruination *cough

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  17. Sammy J

Sammy J SS.org Regular

Not sure how loved they are, I guess it depends on what you’re into, but I can’t stand anything Opeth has done over the past decade or so.

All 4 albums suck IMO.

ArtDecade likes this.
  18. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

True, I'm talking specifically about the guitar driven fusion influenced stuff. It doesn't matter how many different noises you can make with your guitar, after 40-50 songs the wow-factor is gone and you're bound to run out of ideas if you don't change up your style or add a vocalist or whatever

That's why Guthrie Govan has only released one solo album, he doesn't want to make another solo album that sounds the same as the one he has already made, and that album was released in 2006, so...

That's pretty much the least controversial opinion you can have in the metal world, just slightly behind hating Nickelback :lol:

Masoo2, zappatton2, TheDandy and 3 others like this.
  19. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Pantera- all of it

20. Protestheriphery

Protestheriphery SS.org Regular

Ya, I thought I was the only one who thought Billie Joe has a super nasally voice, as if he has a permanent head cold. Every time I hear him, I immediately think "Dude! Go blow your nose first!". Kinda has the Chuckie from Rugrats thing going.

zappatton2 and c7spheres like this.