Albums most people love but you think are abhorrent.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bogner, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Bogner

Bogner Rock N' Roll Machine

You had me on your first post ;)

I posted this thread for a few reasons....it is opposite of another thread for one. I was hoping it would get people to respond and participate and get some life flowing. I was also hoping it would get people to thinking and maybe listening to some new music they may not be familiar with or go back and listen to some things.

Shall I delete the thread and talk about Covid or politics or some other bullshit instead? Run my lavender bath please, I am cranky from a long day...:rolleyes: :wubbed:

XPT707FX, shadowlife and c7spheres like this.
  2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Makes more sense now. Please no! No more politics or covid stuff : )

BenjaminW likes this.
  3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Any djent album.

99.9% of all nu-metal albums.

Anything on modern country radio. (Old country is fine though).

Anything with so much as a millisecond of Autotune on the vocals.

4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

To my ears it depends on when you hear something and if you have heard a "better", inspired version later on. For example there were a lot of people praising Venom and Possesed along with Death as the fathers of Black and Death metal.

I can't stand any Venom record.

I bought Possessed's 7 Churches int the late nineties when it came out as a reissue and tried to give it a good chance. It is unlistenable!

Same with Death Scream Bloody Gore. Not as bad as the Possesed album but anything after that is miles apart from that record.

Any old Grind record. I understand the logic behind it but it's just noise to my ears.

5. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Everything from Meshuggah.

aesthyrian, AxeHappy and Omzig like this.
  6. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Killswitch Engage, Machine Head, Lamb of God, Trivium, "djent" and stuff like that. Couldn't name albums though...

Also almost everything by In Flames, and their clones. A lot of melodic death metal I don't like, although I like the concept of the genre. It tends to quickly get too poppy and simple.

Also The Black Album, Rust in Peace, and generally "thrash" that doesn't actually thrash enough.

Also later Death I don't care that much for.

works0fheart and sirbuh like this.
  7. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Can't forget everything Rage Against the Machine, Pixies or Dinosaur Jr. ever recorded.

Adieu and efiltsohg like this.
  8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The Joy of Motion sucks and I got really worried when they posted that video of Tosin making new music at Misha'a house two days ago.

BlackMastodon and works0fheart like this.
  9. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

Could never get into anything by Linkin Park or Coheed and Cambria even though most of my friends loved that stuff and were constantly raving about it.

thraxil likes this.
  10. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Death - Scream bloody gore. I bought this album as a teen and hated it ever since. It is terrible compared to Symbolic or The sound of Perseverance. The latter two are masterpieces imo.

Emperor - Every album! I love Emperor but most of their albums sound raw and badly produced. Except for IX Equilibrium. That sounded too sterile and digital imo. I ALWAYS choose a live recording by Emperor over the studio version. These guys are beasts on stage!

Cannibal Corpse - Time to Kill. Another album I bought in my late teens and was badly disappointed. Production was good. Songwriting not so much.

All Periphery albums. I think they are great musicians, songwriters and producers but I just can't listen to their music.
    All the while they are pushing the guitar industry forward with their signature guitars, pickups, amps, pedals,... I even own a JBM27. But still, I'm not a fan of their music.

There is more if I think harder about it..

Rosal76 likes this.
  11. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Man, you couldn't be more wrong about Slayer. They ride their riff salad on the low E♭ string.

12. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

if we're talking people in general vs just metalheads/SSO users, my list gets so much longer :lol:

sirbuh likes this.
  13. MFB

MFB Banned

:lol:

I was tempted to distinguish their tuning as being non-standard, but fuck it, they don't deserve it

ArtDecade, Omzig and zappatton2 like this.
  14. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

The majority of guitar based instrumental music is dog shit wank and is super boring. I can appreciate the talent that goes into it but I feel like some people just make instrumental music because they can't figure out how to structure a song.

Anything old black metal, pretty much similar to knightbrolaire. It's just bad. Shut up

A Wolf Amongst Raven's was a more listenable album then any other After the Burial album and is their only truly good album with some good songs sprinkled around here and there. Especially when you listen to the something like Behold the Crown off Evergreen. Shit had me rolling with how bad that song is. Sounds like a kid just discovered pinch harmonics

As much as I love Periphery, I think Periphery 3 is an awful album that feels rushed, especially lyrically, and I basically don't want to listen to any of that album except maybe Absolomb. The lyrics on that album are straight fucking cringe half the time like Motormouth. Great fucking instrumental, terrible fucking lyrics.

Common Man's Collapse from Veil is a god awful riff soup album with awful production values. iD is better in basically every way imaginable

Bring Me The Horizon is shit, has always been shit, and will always be shit no matter how many times they change genre's to make emo kids think they're amazing

OOF. That felt good haha. I usually just respect people's opinions but yeah it's nice to vent

15. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

For me it is mostly everything that is considered prog metal nowadays or djent. Can't get into any of these bands. Animals as Leaders, for example.

16. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

I dunno about *most* people *loving* their albums, but can we talk about Staind for a second? Some cool songs totally getting shat up by Aaron Lewis' minor 3rd of vocal range.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  17. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

Something jumped the shark with Staind.

akinari likes this.
  18. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

I blame Eddie Vedder for the Staind guy, the Creed guy and a whole generation of shitty vocalists.

19. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I always lumped Aaron Lewis in "wants to be Maynard" contingent that was emerging in nu-metal & buttrock at the time.

works0fheart likes this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

Mike Mushok and his sig guitars are the only good thing to come from Staind. Maybe the riff from Mudshovel too..

BlackMastodon likes this.