Albums most people love but you think are abhorrent.

extendedsolo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah The Darkness' shtick was funny for like five minutes.

It's a shame because Justin Hawkins is a pretty solid guitarist who just can't seem to land a band that's worth a damn.
i believe in a thing called love still rips.

I think most modern "rock" records sound like tribute bands to older bands. Not every band is Greta Van fleet level offenders but so much newer rock bands forget how to experiment and have fun. Most of the best records considered "rock" IMO sound closer to electrifed folk music. When I see people gushing about a new rock band or record I always find myself underwhelmed

Rap/hip hop and adjacent styles of music are so much more interesting right now it's crazy. I never thought I'd see the day.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I think most modern "rock" records sound like tribute bands to older bands. Not every band is Greta Van fleet level offenders but so much newer rock bands forget how to experiment and have fun. Most of the best records considered "rock" IMO sound closer to electrifed folk music. When I see people gushing about a new rock band or record I always find myself underwhelmed

Rap/hip hop and adjacent styles of music are so much more interesting right now it's crazy. I never thought I'd see the day.

That was a great single and really the height of the band, to me at least.

I feel like if you're trying to revive 70's arena rock you gotta bring the goods and they came pretty close at times but were overall forgettable.

They're competent musicians, and they certainly nailed the themes and aesthetic, but the songs were just "meh" outside of said major single.

extendedsolo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I feel like if you're trying to revive 70's arena rock you gotta bring the goods and they came pretty close at times but were overall forgettable.

They're competent musicians, and they certainly nailed the themes and aesthetic, but the songs were just "meh" outside of said major single.

I would love to have been in a band with just one major single. haha

AlexCorriveau

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Everything by August Burns Red. It sounds too nice, even for metalcore. The guitar work is fantastic but the music itself bores me to death. It's my old roommate's favorite band ever. He would put ABR in the car and the music gave him goosebumps. He looked at me when a song ended and was baffled I didn't think it was sick. I like my metal mean and nasty. Sorry Hugo.

Dying Fetus - Wrong One To Fuck With. Dying Fetus is my favorite band. I don't hate that album at all but I think it is overated. Nowhere near as good as Descend Into Depravity and Reign Supreme.

Metallica - The Black Album

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score

How many modern rock bands are there that actually brings some fun and humor to their music other than Clutch? I want to find more but it's hard to top Clutch

Reactions: fps

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been using these months of working from home to listen to all my albums alphabetically, and I've come to the band Sleep. I really like Sleep's Holy Mountain, and I heard quite a bit of buzz about how Dopesmoker was their masterpiece. I've tried to like it, but man, for me it's like listening to paint dry. There are albums and bands that I dislike for years, that suddenly just click for me, but this just isn't one of those albums.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Dopesmoker certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea, I've certainly had times where I get bored of it, but this might give some more insight/appreciation for it if you feel like you're truly missing out on it.

Masoo2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

100% agree. I can't stand modern rock albums, especially those that go even halfway to the extent of artists like Greta Van Fleet. Even "older" stuff like The Black Keys and The White Stripes don't do it for me either but I've never understood why. Maybe it was the stylistic shift towards a "lofi" sound and move away from the overproduction that plagued rock since the 60s/70s up until the early 2000s (with grunge being the exception), but I'm not sure if that's the definite thing pushing me away from it.

Rap/hip hop has gone to incredible depths over these past few years and has devolved into it's own chasm of sub and microgenres just like metal has. I'd highly recommend you look into tread (my personal favorite), surge, and the more widespread underground movements pushed by SBE/Drain Gang and the whole golden era of 2013-2018 underground (GREY*59, Gothboiclique, Buffet Boys, SESHOLLOWATERBOYZ, Members Only, Goth Money Records) or even the earlier days of SpaceGhostPurrp's Raider Klan. There's been some good stuff coming out this past year such as Ramirez's THA PLAYA$ MANUAL or Bones/Xavier Wulf's BRACE, but for the most part this whole scene has died off a bit as artists like newer small artists like bbno$ and other poppier/more accessible artists have taken away the spotlight.

108 Mics on YouTube has probably the most cohesive video essays on tread and surge so I'd recommend you check those out. He missed the Russian/Ukrainian tread scene which developed around 2017-2019 though it has moved a bit away from the core tread sound similar to how Goth Money Records moved away as well.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Rap/hip hop has gone to incredible depths over these past few years and has devolved into it's own chasm of sub and microgenres just like metal has. I'd highly recommend you look into tread (my personal favorite), surge, and the more widespread underground movements pushed by SBE/Drain Gang and the whole golden era of 2013-2018 underground (GREY*59, Gothboiclique, Buffet Boys, SESHOLLOWATERBOYZ, Members Only, Goth Money Records) or even the earlier days of SpaceGhostPurrp's Raider Klan. There's been some good stuff coming out this past year such as Ramirez's THA PLAYA$ MANUAL or Bones/Xavier Wulf's BRACE, but for the most part this whole scene has died off a bit as artists like newer small artists like bbno$ and other poppier/more accessible artists have taken away the spotlight.

108 Mics on YouTube has probably the most cohesive video essays on tread and surge so I'd recommend you check those out. He missed the Russian/Ukrainian tread scene which developed around 2017-2019 though it has moved a bit away from the core tread sound similar to how Goth Money Records moved away as well.
It's been a while since I've read something that I understand none of, so this was refreshing. Queue Principal Skinner "am I out of touch?" meme.

gunch

Riff Chugman
Reaction score
Everything by August Burns Red. It sounds too nice, even for metalcore. The guitar work is fantastic but the music itself bores me to death. It's my old roommate's favorite band ever. He would put ABR in the car and the music gave him goosebumps. He looked at me when a song ended and was baffled I didn't think it was sick. I like my metal mean and nasty. Sorry Hugo.

Dying Fetus - Wrong One To Fuck With. Dying Fetus is my favorite band. I don't hate that album at all but I think it is overated. Nowhere near as good as Descend Into Depravity and Reign Supreme.

Metallica - The Black Album

Panic Amongst the Herd was fairly interesting

akinari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
but for the most part this whole scene has died off a bit as artists like newer small artists like bbno$ and other poppier/more accessible artists have taken away the spotlight.

Ghostemane seems to be doing pretty damn well for himself, and although I admittedly wrote him off as something of a Xavier/Bones clone when he first started releasing music, I can appreciate some of it, including his most recent project, Anti-Icon. I don't think it's the masterpiece some folks are hailing it as, but it's definitely going to expose a decent portion of his fanbase to some sounds and writing styles they may not have looked into before. That's always cool.

Masoo2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've read something that I understand none of, so this was refreshing. Queue Principal Skinner "am I out of touch?" meme.
Trust me it's probably the weirdest genre/subgenre/microgenre I've ever stumbled upon that somehow has an incredibly detailed history to it with all sorts of connections I never would've expected to the rap community or even greater music industry (such as Black Kray and Kane Grocerys being in the Miley Cyrus music video for We Can't Stop). The connections within the rap community run deep, everything from Metro Zu and Lil B to Yung Lean and Bladee to Drake and Lil Uzi Vert to Zach Fox/Flying Lotus/Thundercat. Hell, Lil Aaron has wrote for Selena Gomez and Lizzo, though he's not tread really but still in the same kind of scene. That 108 Mics video essay on tread is definitely worth a watch if you're interested in learning about it, it's weird so it might be hard to follow but the description has his recommended tapes on there which I 100% agree with. Some legendary tracks in those tapes (Black Punk Rock, Who Dat, BVNDGXD, WWIII, 4 Bags, etc).

Ghostemane seems to be doing pretty damn well for himself, and although I admittedly wrote him off as something of a Xavier/Bones clone when he first started releasing music, I can appreciate some of it, including his most recent project, Anti-Icon. I don't think it's the masterpiece some folks are hailing it as, but it's definitely going to expose a decent portion of his fanbase to some sounds and writing styles they may not have looked into before. That's always cool.
It actually really surprised me to see the rise of Ghostemane. I followed him back in the Schemaposse days and thought he was okay in songs like Words You Hear On A Sinking Ship, his early solo tracks to blow up like John Dee and Venom were pretty good, 1000 Rounds with Pouya was great, but his transformation into becoming the new generation Marilyn Manson just didn't settle well with me. That shift towards metal/industrial sounds rather than pure underground rap helped grow him a way I never would've expected, people (especially teenage girls) are eating it up.

He's been in bands before and obviously he's pretty talented and versatile, I'm just not huge on the new style. Guys on here would probably dig or at least appreciate Anti-Icon, but I'm really not liking it that much at all especially to the extent that the community is making it out to be. It's a bit sparse or dull even compared to his older work, which wasn't necessarily complex at all. I think City Morgue, Cameron Azi, $ubjects, and Bones (on his few songs in this style) do a bit of a better job of the trap metal stuff, but in a completely different direction than Ghostemane. Then there's guys like Sematary/Ghost Mountain basically combining Chief Keef, tread, and trap metal into what can only be described as backcountry filth but I absolutely love it haha.

At least the guys from Ghostemane's band are putting in good work with Nedarb, Lil Lotus, Lil Zubin, and Travis Richter (From First to Last, The Human Abstract) in If I Die First.

Other guys though, like $UICIDEBOY$, GBC, Goth Money, Buffet Boys seem to be just taking things back a notch and doing it all for fun. That's what I think will keep this sound alive, doing it for the sake of the music rather than the image and popularity which was pretty apparent in 2017 and 2018. Coldhart/YAWNS seem to be having a blast putting out music they love, Pouya/Boobie Lootaveli/Shakewell/Xavier Wulf all seem to be chilling and putting out fun stuff, Ramirez is taking reign of the new west coast sound, Bones is slowing output to focus on his family, etc...

Last edited:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth.

It insists upon itself.

The only song I can tolerate is the one everyone hates haha. And most of the solos sound like one-take outtakes from previous songs.

Nicki

Twit
Reaction score
Every Periphery album... I respect what they're doing, but I just don't think it's great listening.

Every A7X album... Singer has a terrible voice, guitar playing is sloppy at best.

fps

Kit
Reaction score

Their Christmas song is one of the best of all time!