Akerfeldt Quits Bloodbath

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by TheKindred, Apr 13, 2012.

1. fps

fps Kit

haha well two of them i've not heard tbh but devin doesn't growl, in fact he asked Akerfeldt to do the death growls on Stand because he says he sucks at them, i don't even know what it is he does he's a freak of nature.

2. guy in latvia

guy in latvia SS.org Regular

Don't misunderstand me, its not that I dislike Heritage because its not heavy, I absolutely love Damnation, its the album that got me into Opeth. The reason I'm so dissapointed with it is because, as opposed to Opeths previous albums, it sounds so overused and overheard. I know Mike is crazy about 70s prog, and this is his tribute album to that, but it has nothing to do with what I like in Opeth. With the exception of 2/3 songs it's a very poor album. Personaly, if I want to hear 70s prog, I will listen to Rush, Camel, etc, not Mikes washed up version of it.

[​IMG]

Also sorry for totaly derailing the thread, but fuck yea Christian Älvestam would be a mega awesome replacement!

3. oompa

oompa Ze.. Contributor

I agree. I completely get that they were good with BWP, then spent a couple of albums polishing that and now want to move on as musicians and all that, but from my own point of view I like Opeth that sounds like Opeth and to me Heritage sucks. To me they add nothing to the music world, they did 'the Opeth' very well though.

It's all taste and subjectivity all that jazz :lol: but to me, another metal giant has fallen like so many before them, and so many to come.

On topic: Tägtgren gogogo

4. Enselmis

Enselmis SS.org Regular

Agreed with the first part.

Although we do have many albums worth, it'd be nice if they'd play some of that stuff live. Frankly I was really looking forward to hearing his growls for the first time live and then BAM! Not a single grunt when they played here last summer. That was pretty disappointing.

5. Variant

Variant Banned

Tägtgren.

6. PostOrganic

PostOrganic Empty

:yesway: Always preferred him anyways. :hbang:

7. Sikthness

Sikthness SS.org Regular

please god no. Chris Barnes is one of the worst death metal vocalists of all time. No brutallity to his vocals whatsoever. Sounds like he ripped the bong n then ate a bunch of peanut butter crackers n is just talking about mutilation and torture.

8. Ironbird

Ironbird Kahler Abuser

Interesting to see people rip on Opeth after Heritage, when the truth is that they've been incorporating acoustic music into their brand of death metal from day one. :lol:

Take 5 tablets of Orchid and come see me tomorrow.

9. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I don't think anyone was ripping on the acoustic parts at all.:scratch:

10. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

Oh hi thread with off topic talk about Opeth's direction

I'm just popping in to say Heritage was sick, Peace! :fawk:

11. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

It's not so much what they did on Heritage, it's what they didn't do: ie. anything metal whatsoever, and no growled vocals. I personally saw Heritage as the next logical step from Watershed, and enjoyed every minute of it. I don't think it's "watered down King Crimson" or whatever. It's a fantastic album, but we all know that with every Opeth album, there are going to be haters, and they tend to be very vocal about it.

12. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

it's watered down Camel, not King Crimson. :cool:

13. Scattered Messiah

Scattered Messiah Kassandrian Dreams

I second the notion for Tägtgren! would be soooo cool :D

14. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

Fair point. But in my case, I never really listened to those bands, or knew much about 70s prog until I heard Heritage. I was really more of a 70s rock/metal fan, and a modern prog fan. So it was a positive thing for me that a band I really like decided to emulate that style, because it opened my eyes to 70s prog. Opeth reinterpreted that music in a way that I liked, and I don't spite them for it. The only people who seem to are the ones who were into all that stuff before I was.

15. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Yeah, i noticed his growling was sounding rough at the NY anniversary show in 2010. Still, i can understand the main reason for leaving BB would be being in two serious bands. Opeth has been busy as hell lately.

Personally, i really don't care. People get older and change. You can't blame emmitt smith for not running a 4.4 anymore, but metal guys seem to think their idols are immune to aging, maturity, life changes, etc. I enjoy following artists along a musical journey, if i don't enjoy it anymore, i'll get off and find something else - as i will if they keep rechurning the same stuff.

16. Cyanide_one

Cyanide_one Member

ah... at least we have storm corrosion to look forward to. I didn't mind heritage, but in all honesty I only listened to it for a couple weeks and then moved on - a good piece nonetheless though

17. PortalNathrakh

PortalNathrakh DO NOT SPEAK

Whoa. I had no idea that was the final show with that lineup. Dude. I feel bad for washing Mikael's beer out of my hair now (he tossed it into the pit towards the end of Eaten).

18. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

Back in the day he was definitely rippin it up, but prolonged growling and yes def massive repeated bong hits will kill your brutal vocals, even George Fisher is going that way, you can't sing that way forever

19. linchpin

linchpin Specter

"Akerfeldt quits Metal":shrug:

20. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

so a little off topic from the OP, but he still is doing growls live...

Here's a setlist from last night. I'm stoked since I've got Mastadon/Opeth tickets and was hoping there's be some classic Opeth in the line up.

Through Pain to Heaven
    (Popol Vuh song)
    The Devil's Orchard
    I Feel the Dark
    Slither
    Windowpane
    Burden
    The Lines in My Hand
    Folklore
    Demon of the Fall
    The Grand Conjuration

Definitely some growls required for those tracks...