Agile vs. Schecter

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Chamberlain G., Feb 18, 2020.

1. Chamberlain G.

Chamberlain G. SS.org Regular

I'm about to purchase a new 7-string and I'm stuck between these two guitars. The Agile I'm looking at comes stock with Cepheus Passive 7 pickups. I think the Schecter Diamond Series 7-strings come stock with EMGs. I play a lot of Deathcore and am looking for something that will play and sound good. So tell me which you would choose, why you would choose it, and your experience with these bad boys. Or if you have any suggestions on 7-strings under $500, bring em on. Also would you go multiscale 7 or nah? And why would you play multiscale? Thanks a lot.

2. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Sub-500, you should go used

3. Chamberlain G.

Chamberlain G. SS.org Regular

Sure, I'm open to that. But what brand used? Because I can buy an Agile brand new for less than $500.

4. Mboogie7

Mboogie7 SS.org Regular

I have no experience with Schecter, but have an interceptor 725 and it feel/sounds good for what it is. Fretwork is pretty solid too for the price point. I can’t speak to the passives you mentioned, but the little I’ve read or heard about, they’re better than given credit for.

5. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Under $500, I’d go RG7620 all day, every day—I don’t think anything will be close to as well made in that range. You might even have enough left over for new pickups, although I personally like the stock ones (lots have had them swapped already too).

Imalwayscold and littlebadboy like this.
  6. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

Go used, I have 2 Schecter 7-strings, Hellraiser C-7 and Banshee Elite Sustainiac FR. The C-7 is one of the best playing guitars I ever had, with Fishman Moderns (2 alnicos), it sounds awesome. I love this one so much I have recently upgraded it with extra jumbo (0.118" wide) SS frets. The Banshee Elite is flawless, absolutely amazing. I'm not crazy about the Schecter bridge pickup in that one, but it's not like it's bad, just nothing special, got a Duncan Omega to replace it.

No experience w/ Agile, but they are very popular on these forums, probably for a good reason.

7. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Schecter all day. In my experience, Diamond series offers great bang for the buck as well as top shelf QC and excellent specs.

8. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

I think a good Agile and a good Schecter will be neck and neck

I would go with whatever has the specs you want more

Masoo2, 0rimus and Rotatous like this.
  9. bmth4111

bmth4111 SS.org Regular

I've used the edge agile Interceptor Pro 725 for almost a decade now and still love it. Never liked the feel of most schecters I've played.

My photos for a job they are a great bang for the buck.

10. Rotatous

Rotatous SS.org Regular

Had an Agile Septor 727 for years, regret selling it as it would've made a fantastic backup guitar.

Honestly if you're patient the right used Agile would probably be the best bang for your buck.

11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Is this going to be your first 7? Perhaps you want to take a look at baritones too.

12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Agiles are solid for the price. And there should be several types of used Schecter Banshee/similar around $500 used. Not because they were bad but because they were popular and sold a ton.

13. Jamestowne

Jamestowne SS.org Regular

So this thread seems well answered but I figure I’d offer my 2 cents since I’ve also been in a very similar situation as yourself.

For $500, you can get A LOT of value on the used market, but the key is knowing what you’re looking for. Thick vs thin necks, scale length, quality of hardware, electronics, etc. all usually come to personal preference. However considering you’re playing death core, industry standards say thin neck, high output pickups, and you’re good to go. You can definitely get by with EMGs (although a lot people tend not to like them so much anymore) but I would avoid stock Agile pickups if you can.

Agile is a good value for the money, especially if you’re willing to invest a little more money into upgrades. From the factory they tend to need fretwork, their electronics are pretty low quality, but they are rock solid in construction.

Schecter over the past decade or so has been offering very consistent instruments with high end specs at attainable prices and would be my personal recommendation to you for what you’re looking for, namely anything in the Elite series. I found a Banshee Elite 7 Prototype (neck-thru, 26.5” scale, SD Nazgul/Sentient pups, locking tuners, hipshot fixed bridge, flamed maple top w/ maple fretboard) on Reverb in 2017 for $540 shipped.

These deals are sparse but not uncommon, and you can get very lucky on Reverb and the Guitar Center used website.

As for your multi-scale question, they are useful if your style of playing tends to be more technical; single note runs, sweep, legato, taps. For bigger voiced chords, the frets can be awkward to adjust to. The wider the difference in scale length (i.e. 25.5-27” ) the harder to play for most people in that regard.

Good luck and let us know how your search is going :rocker:

14. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Guess it's different for everyone.

I have owned one Agile and it was definitely one of the worst guitars I've ever had. Was a 727 Interceptor pro. Maybe it was a lemon but it was just bad. Felt cheap, sounded weak and couldn't get a good setup.

I've owned 2 schecters now. In fact just got one of them today and they are both much better than the Agile was.

I had a km7 mkiii and just got a Reaper which is the first Multiscale ive ever played. I literally just got it so I cant comment much about the scale but it was immediately comfortable but also I thought yeah, a 1" fan seems like it would be better.

If you have the option to get a Schecter with a 1" fanned multiscale that would be my choice. If not I'd still get a Schecter over an Agile regardless but that is just MY experience with them.

Not fair to compare a mkiii km7 to an Agile but thats all I have to compare. I would put that agile on par with that giant neck Hellraiser I played back in like 2003 and would take an Agile over that lol.

Guessing my Agile was a lemon though seriously because I have seen some good reviews.

15. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Considering Agile and Schecter come out of the same factory, Agile packed a surprisingly big punch above its price class. I had an Agile Interceptor 727 and a bunch of Schecter guitars with comparable specs (neckthru, ebony fingerboard, fixed bridge) i'd say a good Agile can do just as good as a Schecter assuming you get a decent setup. Do keep in mind though with Schecter you get extra stuffs that may or may not matters for you personally such as Ernie Ball nuts, stainless steel frets, hipshot hardware etc etc. I'd say if you want to keep it economical an Agile will do you just fine.

16. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

I've had a few Schecter's and they've been awesome quality guitars. Go with the Schecter. Maybe save a couple hundred bucks more and get a Schecter Reaper used.