Agile stock pups, need help deciding

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Patrick Ftw, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Patrick Ftw

Patrick Ftw SS.org Regular

So im looking into getting my first 8 string, and im on a pretty limited budget (600-800). Ive found a few agiles that would be around the price point im looking for, but ill be stuck with the stock pickups for a while until i can get an upgrade. Theres 3 different options im seeing, and wondered if anyone could give some advice on which to go with. Mostly for prog metal/djent stuff. The stock options were Cepheus pickups, Seymour Duncan Blackouts, or EMG 808s. Anyone have any input on which would be the best to go with?

2. Valdra

Valdra SS.org Regular

I don't know about which is the best but I love the Cepheus pickups in my Agile Intrepid 828. They are thick and meaty, not overly bright, decently defined but not overly clear to the point of spikiness. People have said they are like Lundgrens but my Lundgren M8s in my M80M are muuuuuch brighter / sharper.

For the longest time I didn't want to buy a guitar anymore after I got my Agile. And I am definitely a "grass is greener" type of person. I actually gave away my other guitars at the time because I was so happy with just having my Agile with stock pickups.

Most actives for me have always been a little to "fizzy" or something.

3. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Agile 8 pickups are surprisingly nice

4. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

I loved the Cepheus passives in my 8 string. They were awesome! So those get my vote.

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I have to vote for the Blackouts. But I'd say wait and see how your 8 string sounds before you start replacing things. What the guitar 'needs' might be different than what you read beforehand without that knowledge.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

blackouts are muddy garbage.Avoid them like the plague for 8 strings. 808s are meh. just get the cepheus loaded model.

7. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 Active Member

I actually really like the Blackouts for 8-string, I know some say they're muddy but I was able to dial it in and get a really good tone that was pretty articulate for proggy riffing. I'm generally not a big fan of active pickups most times so when it comes to 8-string I usually prefer the sound of the Pegasus or Black Winter sets. But out of those three choices you mentioned I like that Blackouts best. That being said, the Cepheus pickups are pretty cool, I've honestly never tried the 8 string set but I've had Cepheus in a 7 string and a 6 string Agile baritone and I was surprised how good they sounded.

8. Patrick Ftw

Patrick Ftw SS.org Regular

Thanks a ton you guys! Im going to order within the next week or so, the input is much appreciated! Have been wanting an 8 for years but never have had the finances to do it, but im hearing good things about agile for their price point. Super stoked to get one now!

9. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Admittedly some generic sounding advice, but why not just save up a little more so you can afford a better sounding/playing/built guitar? Unless you're looking for a 30" scale or something, I think you could get something significantly better than an Agile for +/-1K on the used market.