Agile headless further developments (8 str 25" to 28")

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by NcLean, Nov 27, 2019.

1. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

I've never played a 9 and thought nothing of this comment at first. But that would actually be a great idea for them. Whether they chose something like 25.5"-28.625" or 27"-30", at ~$800 they'd corner the market for entry level 9s IMO. The hardware for the strings is individual and they already have 10 string pickups. They might as well just do it. I'd be interested at that price.

2. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

This is nice, some past Agile headless guitars have been hideous.
    Happy to see a body design with some character, which is also not copying the Strandberg body shape like many headless guitars now do.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Anything 9 should work, so BKP, EMG, and Lace. I believe SD will do it to as "Floor Customs".

Don't worry too much about the poles lining up, that's not how pickups work.

Agile has had a bunch of 9-strings (and 10s) over the years. Fanned and straight frets.

They just tend to get small batches that sell and then don't have anything listed for awhile.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I'd be pretty sad if they did a 9 with anything less than a 30" scale on the bottom string. Lol, for my use (tuning the bottom string down two whole steps to A), 30" is barely long enough.

5. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Why can't they get a better tuning system that doesn't involve the stupid nub? They're so friggin close but keep missing the mark. Headless guitars aren't cool cuz they switched the bridge/tuners around, they're cool because they're compact!

bostjan and LordIronSpatula like this.
  6. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

I agree - in fact I'd hate to go much lower even on a standard tuned 8. The seventh string on my 830 is the best Bb/A I've ever heard, in fact. And that's an octave higher than what you're going for.

I know, right? I would happily pay the price increase to include an aftermarket headpiece. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a "Cepheus" hardware solution in the works, though.

7. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

When did Strandberg get rid of zero frets? I thought they still have them