AfterShock is a rip off

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by jmack, Nov 17, 2014.

1. jmack

jmack Member

I picked up a used cab from Aftershock in Orlando. I asked for vintage 30s in it, and when I played it i thought it sounded okay. It sounded a little harsh, but i assumed it was okay because vintage 30s are harsh by themselves and possibly not broken in yet either. I bought the cab because it was supposed to be specced to an orange cab, but cheaper, with LEDs. So i thought it was a steal.

[​IMG]

But when i plugged my pod hd and axe into with out the speaker cab simulators on, the cab sounded horrible. So i always played the cab with the sims on. Months later i decided to open the back of the cab and they weren't even the speakers I asked for.

Heres what Brandon the owner gave me.

[​IMG]

I know I should have looked when I first got the cab, thats my fault, and I understand that. But to run a company and to do this is to customers is missed up. I brought this to his attention, and said he would install V30s in for me. But Its been two weeks now. I've emailed him and called him, and all he is doing is ignoring me.

Please do not support this company.

2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

That's crap, man. Glad you outed this. I'll stay away from em and tell everyone I know to as well. Most of the guys I know work hard for the cash for their gear and can't afford to get messed around.

3. SandyRavage

SandyRavage SS.org Regular

We get a lot of touring artists coming through using them. They rarely come back with them twice. The same can not be said for Black Market, Omega, and Atlas. I think that says enough right there.

Bums me out as I think that the custom grill cloth, and LED thing is a pretty cool gimmick. But you wouldnt be the first person I've heard talk poorly about their quality and getting something different than what you ordered.

Hopefully they fix it, figure something out with you to make it right. Have you reached out to them? You should get exactly what your specced and paid for.

4. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

WGS Vet 30's & the almighty SwampThang's sounding harsh???

Don't expect miracles from Vintage 30's with the cab sims off either.

5. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

6. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

I think I would rather have that combo that actual V30s, but you should not have been charged for V30s and been given the WGS/ST combo since they are about half the price.

7. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

It sucks that they gave you something different than what you ordered. I always take a peek "under the hood" on any kind of new/used gear I get. Got to know what's in there.

That speaker combination should rock. I've experimented with Swamp / Governor (V30-styled) and thought it was a disgusting combo, especially for lower tunings. If that combo sounds harsh in that cab V30s will sound way harsher. Harsh aint always bad, usually it's good for the mix.

8. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS I’m a grown ass man

This is unacceptable. But how is it harsh? I have the WGS V30s in my 4x12. Me and my other guitarist both have a Peavey 6505+ and he runs a Mesa 4x12. My cab sounds even better to me.

9. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

It sucks that happened... But that is as better set then v30s imo

10. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

I just ditched a v30 4x12 to get started on a full range setup. But this really sucks man, id show up at their office

11. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

I suspect somewhere there's someone with a v30 cab blissfully unaware that its not loaded with the swamp thang/wgs combo he ordered

12. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

Yep I'd never know the difference. Between the guitar, strings, cables, various gain stages... I'm just not smart enough to tell what part of any alleged "harshness" is caused by the speakers (and I've been playing nearly 20 years haha).

13. jmack

jmack Member

ill post a video this week when i can

14. Ancient

Ancient Astronaught

I found SwampThang's to be harsh as well, actually to be more specific I found their breakup to be unmusical and harsh. When pushed they are loud and have lots of low end but the mid range gets what I perceive as "blocky" and generally unpleasant. I swapped them out for WGS ET65's and the problem was gone, the cab wasn't quite as loud anymore but the harsh breakup was gone.

The Vet30's though I tried in a 2x12 were amazing and had no harshness what so ever.

15. Metaldestroyerdennis

Metaldestroyerdennis Heavens Football Bat

Doesn't WGS advertise Veteran 30s as V30s without the characteristic harshness?

How many hours do you have on them? My Orange cab sounded different each time I turned my amp on for the first month or so of owning it. Speakers break in over time and lose the edginess they come out of the box with.

You still should have gotten V30s since you paid for them and they are significantly more expensive than the speakers you received.

16. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

And yet just another lesson that you guys need to stop purchasing stuff based on aesthetics. (Surely people have already seen and learned this lesson with Etherial.)

^ This. Just saw another band that came through using them. And I bet if I ever see that band again, they won't have them.

SandyRavage likes this.
  17. guitarfishbay

guitarfishbay SS.org Regular

This sucks, sorry to hear you didn't get what you asked and paid for.

I've bought a cab advertised as all V30 before only to use it and figure the sound wasn't right - sure enough two speakers were swapped out to seventy 80s.

A quick way to check the speakers in a 4x12 without removing the back is to remove one of the side handles and stick your phone in assuming it has a camera with flash, you should be able to get pictures of the inside rear of the speakers. Popping the back off a 4x12 takes a while because there are so many screws, and often it is wedged on quite tightly, but removing a side handle usually isn't difficult or too time consuming if you have concerns about the cab.

18. jbealsmusic

jbealsmusic SS.org Regular

That really sucks! Mix ups do happen though. I'm sure he'll replace those with the V30s at no charge.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Sure is taking his sweet time.

20. jbealsmusic

jbealsmusic SS.org Regular

Thread is only 2 days old. What did I miss?