After high-output 7 string pickup suggestions!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by IcedCallum, Jul 1, 2020.

1. IcedCallum

IcedCallum SS.org Regular

Hi all,

I've ordered another custom guitar from Waghorn guitars and am in a bit of a quandary as to what pickups to go with.

It's going to be a strat-style 7 string with swamp ash body, flamed maple top and flamed roasted maple neck and fretboard with HSS configuration.

My original intention was to have an X2N in the bridge, but I've tried one in a swamp-ash guitar and am not sold really. I'm not into djent stuff, but I am playing metal, kind of melodeath / power-metal kind of stuff. I am endorsed by Engl, so use those exclusively and my main amp is the Savage Mk II. I am mostly using Fluence Moderns in my Aristides but I've found they are a bit smooth for my taste when going through the Savage. I want something that's tight and chunky, I've found the X2N is a bit thin.

I have settled on BKP sinners for the single coils, and BKP have said that to get the most out of these, to get a set with a humbucker so that they're calibrated.

Any suggestions on pickups, humbucker is the one I'm most fussed about as it's primarily what I use as I mainly play rhythm in my band but interested on any single coil suggestions too. I have used Juggernauts and Warpigs in the past, and they weren't for me. BKP suggested the Ragnarok, but never used one and hadn't really considered it as I didn't like the Jug, and am not a fan of Periphery or Misha's playing (just my opinion), but BKP reckon it will do what I'm after and go well the the sinners.

Thanks!

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the rag doesn't sound much like the jug. in fact if you didn't like the jug you'll probably really like the rag.

the silo would probably also work.

3. IcedCallum

Oh that's intriguing, and somewhat piques my interest in the Rag a bit more

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

eh I found the rag to be a way less cocked jugg with more output, but it still requires you to dig in a fair bit, versus warpigs which just slam the shit out of the amp.
    If you're only looking into BKPs, blackhawks would be a good option.

5. IcedCallum

I found the Warpig sounded great on my standard tuned guitar but on a 7 string it got a bit dark for my taste, at least in the guitar it was in.

No, not just looking at BKP, I'm open to suggestions on other brands, just think that BKP offer so much more customisation and the guitar is going to be white and I'd like white pups ideally.

6. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

BKP Emeralds then?

Batousay likes this.
  7. IcedCallum

I think the Emeralds may be a bit too low output for me maybe

8. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

still loving warpigs!

9. IcedCallum

I have a Caprison with a Warpig in it, its 6 string and I love it in there but I've not got on with them in a 7 string.

10. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

I put similarly voiced but lower output VHII into moderately dark sounding swamp ash-bodied guitar and was quite pleased with the results. Perhaps BKP could custom wind an Emerald for you even hotter? If so, it's voicing might be just the thing you're looking for.

As for the Warpig, I once put a ceramic 7-stringer into a guitar with a mahogany body. Didn't really like it very much, as it just sounded sort of flat/dead to me.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  11. IcedCallum

Yeah worth asking them about perhaps then!

12. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

If youre going BKP, a Cold Sweat or alnico Nailbomb would be my suggestions.

If youre not married to BKP, you cant go wrong with a Lundgren M7 or Black Heaven 7.

13. IcedCallum

I've had a few people suggest Lundgrens to me actually, and it would be something very different to anything else I've ever used.

14. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Don't rule out the Warpig. The spec sheet makes it look overly hot and dark, but that's not my experience with it. It actually has a lot of attack and punchy low end, and the overall voicing is great for anything heavy. Back it off the strings a bit and you get great chord separation too. It really shines in brighter guitars, but can get a bit muffled in darker guitars since it has a lot of weight to the lower mids.

Here's a quick comparison I did a while back with my walnut Carvin DC7X. The first pickup is a ceramic Warpig, then a Dimarzio DP703 Blaze Custom, then a BKP Ragnarok. I tried to match the pickup heights between each clip, so it should give you an idea of output as well as voicing. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VtjLrVvCTyzpFarhbav83Nhz4rtB73Aq/view?usp=drivesdk

I'd be happy to send you the DI files if you're interested in trying them through your own rig too :yesway:

15. IcedCallum

Great test man! I think its a bit of a preference thing, I had one in my 7 string Caparison for a while, which had a walnut and mahogany body, and it just didn't fit for me.

That being said a friend of mine has a warping loaded ibanez so he's going to lend me that to try sometime as its closer to what I'm getting, but thanks for the offer of DIs though man!

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  16. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

evo and TZ are the most underrated pickups, better than any BKP or fishmans I've tried, some of the few that actually sound good for leads but still tight and massive on the low end

dirt cheap used too since they are not on the djenty hype train, worst case resell it for no loss

17. IcedCallum

The evo intrigues me, might do as you suggest and give one a try in one of my current guitars. Cheers!

18. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

The Evo 7 is a great pickup, the TZ is hot garbage though.

19. IcedCallum

Haha I'll check out the Evo. Problem with pickups is everyone has such different taste with them xD

20. fps

fps Kit

Blackhawk or Ceramic Nailbomb have character and more thickness than the Juggernaut or X2N.