After having all the dream stuff and you come back to reality

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BurningRome, Aug 9, 2019.

1. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

I really appreciate this site, I know I've been led to try out equipment based on this site. Over the last 5 years I've cycled through so much equipment, normally just the flipping process, making a few bucks through the process.

But what I've learned after trying all my dream amps growing up and trying the stuff that people here suggest I've come to a really grounding realization, bang for the buck and real work application has won me over AT THIS MOMENT. I've found myself using a Marshall JCM2000 DSL that I got picked up for $300 through a 70's Ampeg V4 Bass/Guitar cab with the stock square back speakers that I got at Music Go Round in nearly mint condition for under $180 out the door.

It's the same with my pedals, I've tried a ton of great pedals and kinda have rolled back to the standard boss stuff...

My realization is that I can tell the difference between a Marshall DSL to the Orange Rockerverb 100 or Fryette UL or whatever, which by the way the UL is still my all time fav amp. But again, it's come down to a few things that has me finding comfort with my current set up.

I am OCD I hate the idea of carrying a prized amp back and fourth trying to keep it mint etc, in the mix too there isn't enough difference to matter and if I'm using a Boss DD6 vs a much higher end Digi Delay, NO ONE can tell the difference in the mix.

With all of that said, yeah I'm def going to keep trying the cool things I have yet to try, but I'm sobering to the realization that good quality items for 1/3 or even 1/4 of the price of the stuff I love hold water to the amazing highend unicorns.

My use for this stuff is in a Post Metal band, we practice and do shows and in the end it just didn't matter. Again I def have liked stuff I've owned more than my DSL100 through the 70's Ampeg V4 with my boss pedals but side by side in the live atmosphere just didn't matter enough.

I guess if you have any feedback for items you've gone to that you feel hold water to the great stuff out there, please share. It's just cool to consider what's out there.

Also, just to share I was looking for a bass for my GF and instead of getting her a really nice New fender for $7-900+ I was able to get her a 70's era Kramer 4001 (Metal Neck) fretless for $575 and she loves it, there's so much cool older stuff out there that we easily forget.

fps, Gmork, Trainwreck and 9 others like this.
  2. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I’m with you on not wanting to carry around really expensive stuff at risk of it getting stolen or broken.

If i lost my current guitar and amp i wouldn’t have it in me to spend all that money and time that went into obtaining them and modding them.

I would probably just grab an Agile and a Boss Katana and be done with it.

Backsnack, wakjob, 0rimus and 2 others like this.
  3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Thats why I insure my gear :lol:.

Theres a reason we say "just buy a 5150" or "just buy a recto/orange/marshall cab" and boss pedals - tried and true workhorses.

Some folks have money to run all high end stuff and that is totally cool. Gig your R9, you bought it to play.

Run the stuff that works for the task at hand.

wakjob, MASS DEFECT, odibrom and 8 others like this.
  4. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

Cool post!

It's definitely a personal thing. Whatever works for you, works for you.

When it comes to pedals, I'm definitely a snob. I realize and understand that the audience may not be able to tell that I'm using a lower quality pedal, but I personally can tell the difference when I'm playing. I have certain pedals that I love the sound and feel of, as well as the features/functions, so it's not just about the audience, but rather personal enjoyment.

Regardless, I too have owned most of my dream amps, and have bought and sold so much that it's literally exhausting. After all said and done, im down to one amp: a 6505, and I couldn't be happier.

5. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I think it would be so cool if peavey released a transtube 6505 head or combo.

Gmork and Spinedriver like this.
  6. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Most gear sounds good if you know how to use it and take the time to dial it in. $4000+ boutique amps are bonkers to me.

Elric, odibrom, watson503 and 2 others like this.
  7. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Yeah I love the used market I just wish people would start lower on their initial asking prices instead of letting the item sit high for a couple weeks and then dropping. 5150’s and MP-1’s rule, I’ve said before and I’ll say it again.

8. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

The DSL has always been under appreciated.

Beheroth, wakjob and budda like this.
  9. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I went through this a couple years back.
    I ran an Avid Eleven Rack for years, but always lusted after that AxeFX. Finally got a good job, sold the 11, bought the Fractal.
    Didn't take me too long to realize that while the AxeFX II was SUPER cool, for what I was using it for, the 11 probably would have continued to do just fine. I don't gig, I don't really even record, I just like to sound good because I'm not motivated to play if I don't sound good. The Fractal sounds better than the 11 did, but not 4 figures better.

GunpointMetal and Razerjack like this.
  10. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Don't know man...there's pros and cons for both of these situations. If you have good transportation and don't have to squeeze in the gear just to get to the gig - go big. You can always protect your gear on the gig or have your bandmates look after it.

I've kinda gone small lately - Mesa Mini Rectifier and a 1x12, sounds just as huge :)

At practice I use a GT-10 into a Peavey Windsor bypassing the preamp (fx loop) straight into 2 2x12 cabs. Sounds great as I know how to dial it in. Probably some guys on here will go nuts at my use of the GT-10 as the dirt, I would've a few years ago, now I know how to set it up.

Whatever works for you.

At the end of the day - it has to look professional and not give you any problems. Most of the time my gear is behind skrims so who cares what it looks like even at this point :)

11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Bragging rights, good tone in theory, and having the money to spend.

I get it, but I have no plans to join the hella expensive amp fold.

Spinedriver likes this.
  12. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I've had a Friedman, some Mesas, EVH, Mark IV. 7 amps in one time. But now I'm down to one Mark amp and my trusty old 5150II. People will scoff at me when I say I preferred the Peavey over a Friedman, but it's my truth. That thing is a Warhorse! Two heads and a few similar guitars (for backup to the main players) and I'm ok with it. I hate hoarding.

Gmork likes this.
  13. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Once I got oldish I was able to afford various gears (although I am kind of a bargain shopper, use a Tremoverb I got for around $650) and built great setups for both bass and guitar... time became the issue! I stopped gear hunting and treasure the time I have to play and work on developing music, amid all the other things I am up to. Got the gear, now it's just about using it. I'd still love to try a Savage or Pittbull but cranked my Tverb is pretty sick, no complaints.

14. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Same story as most here...

Got a steady job. After a few years I started making good money. Began messing around in the boutique gear world, and soon realized that it's all just different...not better.

I can make any piece of gear sound horrible regardless of the price tag that came with it.

fps, Ribboz, Choop and 1 other person like this.
  15. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Had one guitar and a SS Peavey Bandit.

Buddy hipped me to this site and I went a little nuts. 5-6 amps, 30+ guitars, AxeFxII and a Kemper.

I’m down to a Fryette GP/DI, 2 guitars and a small pedal board with a gate, boost, fuzz and a VH140C pedal. Main recording guitar came off this site as a basket case, cost me $25 shipped and I’m $175 into it total. Works exactly how I want it to.

Still want some stuff? Sure.

Worth the $ for me for what I’m doing? Nope.

vilk, wakjob and Spinedriver like this.
  16. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I kinda lost the guitar GAS once I figured out that I have my bases covered with a couple different sounding guitars, and anything more was just to have something that looked cool.

As for amps, I realised a while ago that I try to make everything sound like a Recto. So with a real Rectifier and my axe FX (with its Rectifier models) I have amp sounds also covered. When I GAS for a new amp I just think about how it isn’t gonna do Recto sounds better than what I already have, and the GAS kinda goes.

So really all I GAS for now is pedals, and various accessories like cabs and speakers. And even then I kinda already know what works for me.

Choop and Spinedriver like this.
  17. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Same here. The most I've paid for anything I have was probably $700 USD or so for a Spector Rex 4 bass I got back in 2003. I've always wanted an Axe-Fx or PRS CE24, etc... but for what I'd be doing with it, it wouldn't be worth the money. I've only played local shows, never been in a studio or recorded much of anything aside from scratch tracks or a rough demo.

In the end, there are times where not every amp or pedal will get you the tone you want. However, that doesn't mean that spending a couple grand will do it either. Sometimes a $50 eq pedal will turn an amp you hate into the best one you've ever played.

While it can feel nice to impress people with really expensive amps & guitars, people can be equally impressed by blowing them away with an incredible tone coming out of relatively inexpensive gear.

Gmork and efiltsohg like this.
  18. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I'd love to try an Axe-Fx or Kemper but in the end I don't know if after I've made some patches it would end up sounding any different from the X3 and GSP1101 that I already have. At the very least, I doubt it would be $2,000 worth of better.

19. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

This is turning into a confessions session. This is like an AA support group lol.

20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I think many times I find the cheap stuff to sound the best. I dont know it is because all I had was cheap stuff for years, and that sound got ingrained in my head, or what. I recently grabbed a cheap Peavey Triple XXX, and I think I am loving that amp more than many $1000+ Mesa, VHT, etc.... tube heads. many times I prefer the cheap Boss or Digitech pedals over fancy pedals with graphics. I recently grabbed up several Digitech Hardwire pedals. I mostly prefer my ~$800 MIK guitars. I have the Mesa tube gear, and the Fractal rack gear, but still love just playing through $20 pedals from Amazon, lol.