matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I am looking into recording tools to record my own music as my band has long since been belly up. What I am looking for is something fairly simple to do decent recordings and drums at a fairly affordable price. All of the different options and software and everything have confused me, even more so than I already was as to what few basics I would require to get some decent recordings.

So I'm thinking some form of POD (either a POD Studio UX2 [or UX1, can anyone tell me the difference in them other than $50?], a POD 2.0, or a used PODxt), Kristal or Reaper for cheap software, and EZDrummer to start with. This would total roughly $400, depending on what POD I got.

Would this be all I would really need to record my own music decently and do the drums for it? I've read that there were a few pros and cons but not many between all of the PODs. However, I believe I read that one (or some) allow for changing of the recorded sound post recording because they record the dry in signal? Can anyone enlighten me on that?

Or might it be cheaper to grab an inexpesive mixer and decent mic to record through my half stack (B-52 AT-100 head into a Behringer 4x12) instead of going through a POD, while still getting decent tones? [EDIT: I know that may be hard for you guys to answer, but I can tell you that I do get some pretty great tone from my setup. People would always tell me that it sounded better than our former guitarists Mesa Dual Rec and Recto Cab haha]. And would I need anything other than software like Kristal or Reaper and EZDrummer to go this route?

Any other options that might be cost effective?

Thanks for your help and for reading this wall of text! As I said, I'm quite a n00b with this recording stuff and trying to read many of the posts on here about this topic confuses the hell out of me because I'm SO new to it all.

drenzium

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pod X3 if possible would be the best for recording. For drums, anything by toontack you can get your hands on will give you great results e.g. ezdrummer, metal foundry, etc etc. This is pretty much the standard in terms of recording around here.

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pod X3 if possible would be the best for recording. For drums, anything by toontack you can get your hands on will give you great results e.g. ezdrummer, metal foundry, etc etc. This is pretty much the standard in terms of recording around here.

Thanks but the PODx3 is a little out of my price range new. Maybe if I can find one used. But might it be cheaper to go with something like an inexpensive mixer and decent mic instead, like I was thinking about to still get some pretty good recordings?

skeletor88

The Devil
Reaction score
With The UX1 or UX2 you'll be getting pod farm with it. Which is cool for experimenting with tones and getting some recordings done.

I wouldnt really suggest a mixer and the new mic, just Because of the huge flexibility of using an interface and D.I'ing your guitars signal.

You can hit record, track all your parts and still be able to come back during the mixing process and dramatically change your entire tone if you want to with pod farm.

If you mic up your amp, theres only so much you can do in post processing. Plus theres the hassle of having a blaringly loud amp everytime you wanna track a cool riff or an idea.

For drums, as stated before, DFH, any of the superior set ups, metal foundry etc are basically they industry standard for programed drums. Theres plenty of audio clips of all types of software online so just search for some samples and make your choice according to your budget.

Also for the DAW i'd go reaper, simply because I've used it before and it's pretty damn good for its price!

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
^Thanks alot for the info! You get positive rep! :lol: Anyway, is the UX2 that much better than the UX1? Or maybe I should ask..Is the UX2 worth 50 bucks more than the UX1?

And it wouldn't really be a problem for me with micing my amp and having it loud, as I can play loud almost anytime. My neighbors are awesome! But then again, every once in a while I just want to track a quick riff and it would be a pain in the ass to set up (I'd have to at least hide cables and such because my wonderful cat decides she likes to chew the shit out of ANYTHING, especially cables)!

But it does seem like it'd be better to have the ability to change things dramatically post recording with POD farm. I'm mostly looking for the cheaper way to go, but then again the tweakability aspect is kinda making me lean towards the UX1 or UX2.

DFH is an add on for EZDrummer, requiring one to buy both to use it, correct?

And if I were to go with either the UX1 or UX2 and Reaper, I wouldn't really need anything else to record (like DI or something)?

skeletor88

The Devil
Reaction score
^Thanks alot for the info! You get positive rep! :lol: Anyway, is the UX2 that much better than the UX1? Or maybe I should ask..Is the UX2 worth 50 bucks more than the UX1?

And it wouldn't really be a problem for me with micing my amp and having it loud, as I can play loud almost anytime. My neighbors are awesome! But then again, every once in a while I just want to track a quick riff and it would be a pain in the ass to set up (I'd have to at least hide cables and such because my wonderful cat decides she likes to chew the shit out of ANYTHING, especially cables)!

But it does seem like it'd be better to have the ability to change things dramatically post recording with POD farm. I'm mostly looking for the cheaper way to go, but then again the tweakability aspect is kinda making me lean towards the UX1 or UX2.

DFH is an add on for EZDrummer, requiring one to buy both to use it, correct?

And if I were to go with either the UX1 or UX2 and Reaper, I wouldn't really need anything else to record (like DI or something)?

Haha all good bro.

Yeah DFH is an expansion onto EXDrummer so you'd buy both.

I'd suggest save that extra $50 bucks for the UX2, as it has phantom power, which is what a lot of condencer mics require to work. So in the future if you ever wanna buy or borrow from a friend, a pretty nice studio based mic to record Vocals etc you can still plug it into the UX2.

With the UX2 you can just send your signal straight to your comp via USB. so you wont need to get a Di box or anything.

let me know if you have any more questions :hbang:

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I would go with the ux2 as well. Well frankly I did. I just picked up a ux2 and Reaper a couple of weeks ago, the ux2 is great man I have no complaints about it whatsoever, so my suggestion would be to spend the extra 50 bucks. Skeletor88 has a point about phantom power, I don't know if you intend to record vocals or not but it is good to have anyway.

I am a recording noob as well, so I am still learning how to use Reaper, but I can say that it seems to be a well put together DAW. Now I just have to get my hands on DFH and I will be all set.

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks alot Skeletor88 and Triple7! I don't currently plan to record vocals with the setup as I'm not a very good or experienced vocalist by any means (and I don't play to be). I can barely manage to practice guitar enough to keep my skill up as it is. But it would be a good option to have if I ever decide to try my hand at vocals or if I find someone to do vocals for me. Additionally if I'm in a band in addition to working on my own solo stuff, it would be a great idea to have the UX2 so we wouldn't have to always shell out the $$$ to record with any of the studios here, of which even the "cheaper" ones are expensive as hell!

hunter7

Reaction score
hey, I'm a recording noob as well so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I realize everyone here loves using line 6 (pod x3, ux2, etc) and for the "direct in" route, I would recommend getting the UX2. My friend has it and he comes with some awesome sounds (and he's even less experienced at recording than I am if that's even possible). You do keep mentioning about micing you're amp though. That's what I will be doing once I start recording. It's personal preference but I've been using my amp for a long time and I know how to dial in good tones and would feel more proud using my amp. You could always get a DI box and then do re-amping so you can worry about you're tones later. It pretty much boils down to how much YOU like your amp's tone. If it's just a good tone (and not exceptional), I would recommend the UX2. Again, I don't know much so take what you will from this post

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
might i recommend addictive drums rather than ezdrummer. imo addictive drums sounds a whole lot better. also its cheaper.

theres a free demo on their website (no time limit or anything), check it out if you can.

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks Hunter7. I wouldn't say the tone of my amp is spectaclar, but it's pretty good. I'll have to think about it, but as of right now I'll probably go the POD route.

And thanks very much Mnemonichttp://www.sevenstring.org/forum/members/mnemonic.html. I'll have to take addictive drums into consideration as I really am looking to save as much money as possible...hence the name "AFFORDABLE recording options..." Have you used both AD and EZDrummer or just AD? I'm wondering if one is easier to work with than the other. Anybody else have any experience with both?

Fionn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For drums, anything by toontack you can get your hands on will give you great results e.g. ezdrummer, metal foundry, etc etc. This is pretty much the standard in terms of recording around here.

problem with this is that unless you got Superior, your kit will sound the same as a million other tunes i've heard recently, try BFD, it has much more in the way of versatilty and yeah its a bit more but, its worth it!!!

I've not used AD but it sounds pretty good.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
And thanks very much Mnemonichttp://www.sevenstring.org/forum/members/mnemonic.html. I'll have to take addictive drums into consideration as I really am looking to save as much money as possible...hence the name "AFFORDABLE recording options..." Have you used both AD and EZDrummer or just AD? I'm wondering if one is easier to work with than the other. Anybody else have any experience with both?

yeah, i started out using ezdrummer with DFH, and it was great for a while, but you'll grow out of it fast. its not hard to make the drums sound ok, but it really takes alot of work to get the drums sounding good. not to mention this is totally true

problem with this is that unless you got Superior, your kit will sound the same as a million other tunes i've heard recently

DFH might not sound bad, but it sounds very cliche now, since everyone uses it. after dfh i used superior 2.0 (which is awesome) but i just cant get allong with the kick drums, so i switched to addictive drums on a friends recommendation and i really dig it. kinda like superior in the scene that it has build in effects. overall it sounds way more realistic and natural than DFH. DFH is reeeeallly bright and its hard to make it sound thick and heavy.

now that metal foundry is out, i kinda wanna go back to superior 2.0, but first i need to get another external harddrive, as i've got no room on my current harddrive to fit metal foundry :lol:

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I really don't care about things sounding like everyone else in the drum department. The main point is be able to decently and affordably record my guitar shit and program drums to it. And Superior and some of that other stuff can start to get expensive. So, now it looks like I'm going with Addictive Drums, but maybe EZDrummer and DFH a little later on, to stay around the $200 mark.

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Total bumpage to an old thread, but I figured it applies..

I've got the chance to pick up what appears to be an older version of the UX1 (it has a red face, the new ones have black) for $65 USD. Is it worth it? Do these old models have POD Farm? Or are they compatible with POD Farm?

TreWatson

Pro Thread Killer
Reaction score
the hassle of having a blaringly loud amp everytime you wanna track a cool riff or an idea.

oh god, this.

I just finished recording a new song and had to close my door, put blankets on the walls and turn up the input gain on my mic just so nothing would go too crazy. D:

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
oh god, this.

I just finished recording a new song and had to close my door, put blankets on the walls and turn up the input gain on my mic just so nothing would go too crazy. D:

Well good thing I decided to go the POD route for recording, instead of using my amp haha.

Any idea about the older version of the POD UX1? Is it worth it for a used one for $65? Anybody?

Zami77

Recording Bro
Reaction score
first post, yay! anyways onto your question. if your refering to the toneport GX i think hes overcharging you. Ill double check but im pretty sure i bought it around 2 yrs ago for 50$ at musicians friend. ill see if i can find the reciept on my comp. Well i looked and i cant find any prices online, but im very sure i bought it for 50$, new.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Well good thing I decided to go the POD route for recording, instead of using my amp haha.

Any idea about the older version of the POD UX1? Is it worth it for a used one for $65? Anybody?

It does not come with POD Farm and if I am not mistaken it isn't compatible either, my suggestion is to keep your eyes pealed for a UX2. Anything with the red front was called the TonePort (GX,UX1,UX2) which is not compatible with POD Farm, but the black fronted POD Studio's (same model #'s) are.

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It does not come with POD Farm and if I am not mistaken it isn't compatible either, my suggestion is to keep your eyes pealed for a UX2. Anything with the red front was called the TonePort (GX,UX1,UX2) which is not compatible with POD Farm, but the black fronted POD Studio's (same model #'s) are.

Damn I was hoping it would be, that way I could keep it REALLY affordable. But I suppose finding a cheaper used black front UX2 (or UX1) shouldn't be that hard. Thanks again Triple7!

first post, yay! anyways onto your question. if your refering to the toneport GX i think hes overcharging you. Ill double check but im pretty sure i bought it around 2 yrs ago for 50$ at musicians friend. ill see if i can find the reciept on my comp. Well i looked and i cant find any prices online, but im very sure i bought it for 50$, new.

No, I'm fairly sure it's an older (red face) model of the UX1. But I'm pretty much set on getting Pod Farm, because of all the good things I've heard about it and being able to drastically change tones after they've been recorded.