Affordable modeler/IR device

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by zamboknee, Jun 10, 2021.

1. zamboknee

zamboknee SS.org Regular

Is there an affordable modeling box that does IR as well? I'd just like to have something small that I can leave a pair of headphones plugged in along with a guitar cable so I can just sit down in the living room and plug in and go.
    I use the Bias app on my phone but I want something I can just leave there ready to go for a little noodling and messing around.
    Would love to get a Neural Quad Cortex but that's too much right now but if there's something like that that's scaled down from that, small and under $200, that'd be great.
    Thought about the Mooer Radar but not 100% sure that does amp modeling.

2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Your budget means you will be looking at lower tier units from Mooer, Hotone and whatnot. Otherwise I would recommend the Line6 Pod Go or HX Stomp.

Maybe see if you can score a used 1st gen Yamaha THR10 in your budget. That's a pretty solid little amp that will work fine for headphones too.

Spinedriver likes this.
  3. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

The Radar doesn't do modelling, but there are several devices that do what you want. The Mooer GE150 is what comes to mind for me. I seriously considered getting one before getting my HX Stomp.

4. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Mooer GE150 is what you want :yesway:

Maybe the GE200 if you can stretch a bit or get one used. They sound a bit better and are easier to use.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Spinedriver likes this.
  5. quad7

quad7 SS.org Regular

The Fender Mustang Micro is designed for casual playing. Very convenient and capable of some great sounds. It is limited in what it does, and not much too tweak on it (both a pro and a con).

It's well worth the $99. Don't be fooled by the size.

You cannot load IR's into it. The Nux Mighty Plug is similar with a lot more control, but supposedly not as great sounding and a weaker headphone amp. You need an app to do anything (including changing the output volume which is a dealbreaker IMHO).

[​IMG]

6. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Granted it's no Helix or Axe-Fx but there are plenty of people who have gotten fairly decent results from the GE200. Load in some Ownhammer or similar IRs and you'd be good to go.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  7. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

I borrowed one with Choptones IRs and was quite surprised at how good it sounded for its pricetag. My bandmate gigs with a GE150 into a Mesa 2:90 (yeah, I know :lol:).

Spinedriver likes this.
  8. Spinedriver

That's the thing, back in the day when you bought a 'cheap' multi effects (think Zoom 505, Boss ME-30, etc...) they weren't exactly known for their quality. These days since it's mostly about algorithms and processing, even 'cheap' modelers can sound good almost as good as the more expensive ones as long as you get the right impulses loaded in. I think one of the biggest differences is in the hardware and connectivity (available fx loops, xlr in/outs, etc...).

9. bubbastain

bubbastain SS.org Regular

Check out the Joyo preamp house.

10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

I'd go the Mooer GE route.

11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Does not have IR loading, but the Boss GT-1 is awesome sounding.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  12. MoJoToJo

MoJoToJo SS.org Regular

I recently purchased a Valeton GP-100 for $100 it has ir loading & for the money I ain't complaining, great for headphone use in the living room which is what I use it for.
    This clip recorded using units bog stock ir. https://k00.fr/ife84a37
    And I didn't say mindblowing unit better than a Helix/Fractal/Boss etc but good enough for mucking about:lol: Bargain I think.

Spinedriver likes this.
  13. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

If you want the option to not just have headphones all the time, there’s that Spark amp and the little Yamaha TH-series amp(s). Both of those look like cool practice amps. I saw the Yamaha in a music store the other day and it has a tony foot print, it looks really neat.

14. Spinedriver

I had a GT-1 for a bit and the effects are pretty decent but if the prices are the same, I'd go with an IR loading Mooer pedal. I know people do tend to make a big deal out of the IR loading but that's because it's the one thing that can take a mediocre sounding amp simulator and improve it drastically.

littlebadboy and ATRguitar91 like this.
  15. randomas

randomas SS.org Regular

Have a look at the NUX product line. I have an NUX mighty Air wireless desktop amp and I'm very happy with it.