Advice please :D

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by MilnerkinZ94, Apr 23, 2013.

1. MilnerkinZ94

MilnerkinZ94 Member

Hey guys,

Basically I'm getting a new guitar tomorrow, an Ibanez RG 7620, I wanted to know your guys opinion on them, most importantly the pickups that come stock, the dimarzio New 7's

Thanks guys :D

2. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

I don't know anything about the pickups. But I do know the most people on here will say they are shite. The guitar itself though, is good.

3. MilnerkinZ94

MilnerkinZ94 Member

Fair does man, I owned a schecter omen 7 before this and the pickups on that were dreadful, I hated picking that guitar up, would you know if the dimarzio one are better maybe? :D

4. The Spanish Inquisition

I don't know what DiMarzio's are in it. Probably custom Ibz/DiMarzio pickups. They sound a bit like Blaze/ToneZone in the bridge, and Blaze/PAF in the neck.

But if you want to do it right, get a set of D-Activators if you're into heavy distorted shite, a CruchLab/Liquifire set if you're into progressive or a ToneZone/PAF set if you're into rythm.

5. MilnerkinZ94

MilnerkinZ94 Member

Sweet, yeah I've been thinking about crunchlab and liqufire for a while, I was gona put them in my schecter but the other guitarist had a very similar guitar to mine and he put a bare knuckle ( not sure which) at bridge position and it still sounded awfull, I figured that it was the guitars electronics or somethin like that so I decided to get a new guitar all together, thanks for the help man :)

6. The Spanish Inquisition

Probably an Aftermath. Also doable, since they mostly sound alright. But they are expensive as fuck.

7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I have two 7620's and love them. The stock pickups really aren't as bad as most people seem to say, but they can be a little muddy with too much gain and really big chords. You may want to swap them out eventually, but it's definitely not needed right away.

8. MilnerkinZ94

MilnerkinZ94 Member

I'm kinda going for the "djent" but with jazzy and blues differences so the high gain and big chords are kinda what I want :/ when you say a "little" muddy, would it affect the depth and power of the note or does it just not have that either?? :L

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Expect us

If your wanting a pick up good for chording with moderate levels of gain, the Blaze 7 is good for that. It's also pretty "djent"-y I guess, It's mid's are scooped which makes it really tight and gives it clarity.
    But if you can get it, about everyone on here uses a BKP of some type.

10. kris_jammage

kris_jammage SS.org Regular

I've got the hardtail version, the RG7621, and its killer! I put an Aftermath in the bridge position and kept the Dimarzio in the neck. They work quite well together IMO.

With the Aftermath in the bridge it just slays. So tight and clear! I would highly recommend one for that guitar.

11. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

If they were anything like the Omen 8 pups I feel you on that. I hated them and they actually prevented me from enjoying, or even playing, the damn thing for a little over a year.

I'm not really knowledgeable on Ibanez, but I've heard people around here rag on their stock pups a lot. Best way to figure it out is to just play it and if you like it you like it, if not just get new pups.

12. TheWarAgainstTime

I didn't have issues with losing the depth or punch when I had the stock pickups. What I meant by "muddy" is that on bigger chords, some notes are less easy to make out than others, so it seems muddy in that some notes can get lost with too much gain. This isn't an issue with clean/medium gain tones. The New7's are fairly high output pickups modeled after the Dimarzio Blaze set, so that should make it easier to base specs on, should you decide to swap them out later on.

13. TonyGT

TonyGT Well-Known Member

The dimarzio/ibz pickups are actually really good. They surprised me a lot, considering most stock ibanez pickups suck. They are really clear and not muddy at all! Although I will be throwing some d activators in it really soon.

14. Splinterhead

Splinterhead Sojourner Contributor

I had a 1997 RG7620 and I thought it was a great workhorse of a guitar. I was able to get very decent tones out of it. By nature it seems to have a darker sound and maybe not quite as articulate as others but it played great. Congrats on your new score!:hbang:

15. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I put those New 7 pickups in a 7321 I had, nothing offensive - i had them in the guitar until i traded the guitar. Check them out for yourself, i found them to be totally usable.

16. MilnerkinZ94

MilnerkinZ94 Member

Ok so I got the guitar a few days ago and have done some testing, the pickups did surprise me a little but its still not what I want, I found that neck pickup is actually to my taste although could have maybe a little more depth and the slightest bit more pick attack but the bridge I'm not to keen, I thought that it was actually ok for the bass and sustain aspect I want but yet the most important thing is that the 7th string still lacks a lot of openness or "djent" as another way to describe and also lacks the mids I want for the tightness and metallic sound, so basically what I want is a pickup that has that bass and sustain found on this stock pup but its defiantly need a lot more openness and mids while remaining clear and un muddy, any ideas?? I figured the crunchlab seeing as though Misha use to use one before his BK

17. MA77

MA77 Biggest Newb Ever

IMO I'd go with the BK, but thats just me.

18. TheWarAgainstTime

The New7 bridge is modeled after a Blaze, so it has the same type of somewhat scooped EQ with a lot of bass and not much midrange. Both the Crunchlab or D-sonic would likely work for you, as well as having the option to be turned around with the bar towards the bridge for a little more cut.