Advice or tips for creating drum beats with Superior

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by WhoThenNow7, May 6, 2014.

1. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

I've looked up some tutorials on how to make beats, but I still am a little lost. I understand that it's going to take a lot of trial and error, and that there's also a lot of features inside Superior Drummer; but basically, I'm trying to see if maybe someone out there has a bookmarked link of a site that really helped you out, or something of that sort with making beats and such... I'm great with placing preset beats and recording with that :lol: but It's I start making final versions of songs that have their own beat! Thanks in advance.

2. Rudduw

Rudduw New Member

What DAW are you using?

3. WhoThenNow7

Cubase LE 4. I've seen a video where it shows for me to draw with a pencil, and then double click to start inserting drum parts, but it doesn't look like I'm doing it correctly. I'll start to insert parts and it just doesn't seem right. I feel like there must be an easier way.

4. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I suggest to write them in guitar pro (much faster) and then transport the midi, adjust dynamics and sounds in SD

5. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

I find writing in FL Studio the easiest, you can use the demo version the only thing is you can't re-open any files once you've closed the programme.

6. WhoThenNow7

Wow I didn't even know you could write drums and transfer them using other programs such as guitar pro and fl studio.. With that said about the demo version, I guess I should look into what's cheaper, guitar pro or fl studio. Thanks for the replies dudes! I now feel hope again haha.

7. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

How are you at transcribing rhythms anyway, OP?

8. WhoThenNow7

Not good. I'm very new to drum programming... I can't figure out how to get the tempo right for samples that I'm trying to make. Such as breaks in between snare hits, or if I wanted to do blast beat type stuff.. I know there's more to it than just setting the tempo high or low. Just can't seem to figure it out.

9. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Setting the tempo is really just a case of trying one, tapping along to it and going "Nah, too fast/slow", adjusting it 10/20bpm in the right direction and trying again until you get close and adjust in smaller increments.

The way I generally build drum parts is set the basis of your standard "rock beat" with kick on 1, snare on 3 and hats on every beat, move things to mirror or contrast the rhythms of the other instruments, then cut bits out.

Anacruses are useful things to use, as is delaying a hit by a beat/half a beat. Rests are an important part of creating a style in your beats, in the same way as people have certain rhythms they talk with, certain places they pause and you can sound similar to them if you imitate that. My style often ends up with a kick on the & of beat 3.

Write out the basic rock beat in manuscript, count along with it and add a hit in. Go through it super slowly so you have control and awareness at all times. Are you okay at counting rhythms? If not, working on that will be a huge help.

10. WhoThenNow7

Thanks for the advice. I understand about finding the right tempo.. but what I'm trying to say is, each beat feels.. how can I say this... monotone. Even in guitar pro if I try making riffs using it, I don't know how to make some notes longer than others. It's all just each note being played and there's no breaks in between or anything of that sort. It's the same deal with programming drums, I know there's probably a feature or button that I'm missing here.

11. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Unfortunately I can't speak on programming in guitar pro but velocities will be a big part of it. With drums, unless you're choking a cymbal or using a roll to keep something going for a while you'll generally just let the note play its usual duration, anyway. Rests are good, though.

12. eyeswide

eyeswide SS.org Regular

Really? Which version of GP are you using? I find it insanely difficult/unintuitive to write drums in GP6.

13. WhoThenNow7

I have the demo version of GP but can't figure out how to program drums on it. I guess I'm just looking for an easier way instead of a huge piano board, I would think there would be an easier way..

14. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I sticked to GP5 and still write with the numerical pad. I find GP6 awful

15. DavePiatek

DavePiatek Active Member

I'd suggest tapping out the kick and snare parts you want with a keyboard midi controller, then go in and manually work the cymbals.

16. Lennytron

Lennytron SS.org Regular

Rizzo! could you go into more detail about the gp5 option?!

17. Bretton

Bretton SS.org Regular

I was reluctant to switch to guitar pro 6, but got over the drums pretty quickly, it's just a matter of memorizing which line on the staff corresponds to which instruments, and there's a cheat sheet you can open under "view."

you definitely need to have a good understanding of rhythm music theory Rhythm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and the symbols for the different note durations. definitely go through that article.

18. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I just write midi notes with the num pad in the tab (each number is a midi note). Once you memorize the most frequent midi numbers (ex. snare, kick, etc) it becomes second nature and pretty quick. No big deal, just a regular function of the software. :)
    Once i get all the drum tab down right (without further editing of any kind), i export a midi file and open it in my DAW with EZD and then start editing dynamics, velocities etc. etc.
    Well, you have to hope every midi note created in GP corresponds to the EZD midi map, but that usually happens and that's a way quicker path than editing from scratch in EZD.

TL,DR
    Basically, you get your song done in GP and then export the midi drums (you'll have tracked with the num pad for convenience) to EZD, and then do the rest of the editing. Like that, you'll be sure to have the right BPMs and the right arrangement checked in GP and you'll be ready to record on your drum track in your DAW.

19. Genome

Genome SS.org Regular

Some good info here: