Advice on doing binding

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by jwade, Mar 29, 2016.

1. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

So I've decided to do a 4 piece binding on a fb I'm working on. I've got the thicker piece of binding from stewmac, but I thought it'd look good with some accents between that and the fb. I've got ultra thin pieces of bloodwood, maple, and some dyed black aspen.

The question is, what's the best way to glue this all together? I was going to just do it all at once, but someone said that it may be safer to do each piece separately.

Having never done anything beyond gluing one piece of wood or abs, I figured it'd be a good idea to see if anyone here has any words of advice/personal experience that might save me some grief.

[​IMG]

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD SS.org Regular

I would think a wedge-type clamping setup would be the best plan. Given the tiny nature of the pieces you're gluing, I think it'd be difficult to get regular clamps to do the job.

3. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I don't use clamps when I glue binding, I always just use binding tape.

4. mwcarl

mwcarl SS.org Regular

As long as you're reasonably careful about the height of the binding relative to the fretboard, I'd glue them all at the same time and use binding tape.

5. Ram150023

Ram150023 NutzKustoms

Ive seen surgical tubing used, wrapped over and over around the FB.

I know you can get it on the cheap... Just :2c:

6. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

How thin are those thinner pieces, are we talking like as thin as a veneer here? I personally would do all at the same time. Say you are doing 2 strips total on the edge of the fretboard to complete the binding, well if you glue the 2 strips together first, you might get some glue bleeding through the thinner piece, and thus would interfere a little with the glue trying to adhere it to the fretboard later on.

If you do it all at once, there's no problem with glue bleeding through the thinnest piece onto the next piece of wood. Just do it one edge at a time though.

As stated above to some degree or another, some kind of tape/tubing/rubber bands will work fine to hold it in place. I've had good results before with just masking tape strips. On something as thin as a binding strip, you don't wanna clamp the crap out of it, just enough to keep it snug up against the fretboard til the glue cures. Shave off the excess with a hand plane, follow up with a flat sanding block - perfecto.

7. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

That's kind of what I thought. I assumed there'd be some swelling due to glue absorption. All at once it is!