Adjustable microtonal frets (Video)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Bearitone, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Skip to 2:45 with a good look at 3:00

Did he just slap little pieces of fretwire into dovetail sliders and slide them into a slotted neck? Seems like an awesome way to have perfect intonation like True Temperament but, with any tuning you want.

Omzig, lewis, Manurack and 1 other person like this.
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I had seen this before. Keep seeing these videos, there's one where frets are inserted to get different 1/4 tones and similar variations. I think this is cool, but part of the guitar charm is its imprecision that force us to use expression tools like bends and vibratos to get the right notes.

Obviously I've never messed with this, but I wonder how will these movable frets hold against time, use and abuse.

Also, fret leveling and crowning?... that should be a pain. Wait, how about cleaning the fretboard and all the dust that might enter those fret channels, one removes the frets for a better cleaning and sneezes... band all frets mixed up which was where?? I foresee a hell of a headache.

For a one off performance instrument, I think it is fantastic. For continuous play, I think it will bring more trouble than benefits.

3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Well if the frets are held very tightly in place, to the point where you a rubber tip hammer to tap them to the correct spot, then the frets should stay in place for leveling.

Crowing the frets and cleaning would be a bitch. I guess if you SS frets and an Ebanol fretboard you clean the whol fretboard with water.

4. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Hmm this is odd, Winspear and i will have something to say about this.

Most of these tuning problems can be almost completely solved by the intonation adjustments of individual saddles on electric guitars, plus perhaps a compensated nut.
    Classical acoustic guitars don't even have an angled bridge, it's completely perpendicular. The old-fashioned string materials used on classical acoustics also increase the issues.
    He can't then extrapolate this to electric guitars, which of course can be very well tuned with straight frets.

Even when movable frets are set up perfectly, the unavoidable variations of pressure when playing, and unintended sideways movements, etc. will still cause a few cents (+-4 cents?) of tuning instability, and a well set up electric can get within a few cents on every fret. So this is not much of a gain, neither are the True Temperament systems.

The real usefulness here is being able to use microtonal and Just Intonation tunings.

I play music and odibrom like this.
  5. neun Arme

neun Arme SS.org Regular

It's not only designed to have perfect intonation, it's also made to be able use different temperaments, like 24 EDO or 36 EDO, or to play traditional middle eastern music with quarter tones, etc.
    I'd really like to try one, but I admit maintenance must be a bit of a pain.

odibrom likes this.
  6. odibrom

odibrom .

The other videos I've seen with these movable frets were focused on different temperaments and micro-tonal possibilities but true temperament is also at hand. Maintenance looks to be hell.

TO me it looks more pain than gain, but I don't play at professional level, so, what do I know?

7. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

One does’t need to play at a professional level to appreciate it - Just to have a credit card burning a hole in one’s pocket while getting lots of good ideas from the collective wisdom of guitar message boards.

Anyone with relative pitch sensitive enough to distinguish between fretted notes within five cents of one another is wasting their time with an instrument as feeble as guitar, anyway.

8. odibrom

odibrom .

... or go fretless, easier to maintain and one can REALLY intonate along with the music... as well as all other options for micro tonal playing, different temperaments, etc...