Adding high end to a kick without making it so stabby

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by OliOliver, Jun 27, 2019.

1. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

I can never get this right about my mixes, I want that sweet almost-distorted kick sound. Like squashy and sticking out in the mix, but every time I get an EQ setting like I'm looking for, it's so piercing and distracting for the mix. Pls halp

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'd recommend posting a clip of it so people can hear what you mean. If you can't get what you want from the EQ, it's possible that what you want comes from dynamics rather than EQ. I'd spend some time with the compression both on the kick alone, but also on whatever drum bus you might have.

3. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Basically all of my mixes have this issue. Here's a link to a particular cover I'd posted on SS before. There's plenty I don't like about this mix, but just focusing on the kick for now, that's my usual results. I'd like to achieve something akin to Trivium's Shogun.

I've used quick compression, slow compression, high/low ratios, crushing the life out of it, just tickling it, you name it. I've tried it. Is it possible that the samples I'm using make it impossible? I'm using Superior Drummer Made of Metal or something. Whatever the Sneap samples are. I highly doubt that's the case but might as well ask? Am I just aiming too high with the EQ? I usually boost around 2k and up, and cut between 800 to 1600 depending on the tuning I've set for the kick. Those are just estimates as I go off what my ears tell me. Starting to think I just have no clue what I'm doing.

EDIT: Also, reason I ask about the samples being the problem is because I was doing Nail The Mix and have several sessions are saved still, and got some results I'm really happy with.

4. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Parallel compression is very helpful for this.

5. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Try paralel compression, so basically bus your original kick channel to an aux bus which you slap with compression to boost the middle, you can eq that for high end, like they did here in #6. Disregard the fact that they're showing dynamic eq, just regular eq should work.

If you have tube/tape saturation plugins, you can put a light touch of that in there.

You can also look at transient designer.

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/20...dio-best-free-transient-shaper-vstau-plugins/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the sample, but my ears are hearing two things:
    One is that the kick sounds mostly like high end to me. Maybe there's too much of the body scooped out of the sample in terms of EQ.
    The other is that I'm not picking up on much interaction between the kick and the other elements, which - and I'm no pro about this, so hopefully someone else can jump in - I think is a big part of that "making things sound big together" thing. There's nothing glue-ing the kick to everything else. Think the same effect as a sub-drop. If it was me, I'd try to bring some of the sub content back to the sample, and use that to duck things around it.

7. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice guys, I messed with some parallel compression on my latest effort and I'm already getting happier about my results.

And yeah, you're right Ted, that's something I need to work on. Only a few of my mixes have that glue factor going on.

8. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

I didnt see anyone say it, but saturation and clipping can go a long way as well. I like to use Tuco for parallel compression, and push the drive knob. I also do a stack of 1073 eqs and will feed small amounta of gain for both, which is more smooth than just one.

9. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I listened to your mix (didn't see that first time). I think you'll need to glue the drums together so probably bus to some kind of natural room IR reverb. The kick is also super loud in the mix IMO, like 4db over where I'd have it. Lower your volume gradually until the last thing you're hearing in the mix. In your case that's the kick. Also too much brightness slap IMO...although original ATG kinda had that sound.

Then you need to glue the whole mix together. Try room verb (best high end you have) judiciously, I do about 10% verb to 15% max, up to where you're starting to barely hear it. Then master bus compressor on a gentle setting and limiter to stop peaks. Good job on ATG cover!

10. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Hey man I think the balance of the kick is just a little off. The low - to high end balance is not totally correct. I would back of the high boost a little, and maybe try boosting lower down too, say around 1.5 - 3.5k for more of that wet slap, instead of the clickyness you got going on now. You'd still want some click though! And try to balance that high end click with the top of the bass and the guitars, so that those 3 work together to get that machine gun like coherence. Parallel compression can do wonders and I am a big fan of that too but in this example I'd stay start by getting the eq balance correct first, before using parallel compression as this could also enhance what you don't like about the kick if you send it post fader.

11. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Have you tried routing you kick sample to another buss? If you can run 2 tracks for your kick you should be able to shave off the low end and focus on just the high end, then blend the 2 tracks together? May be something to mess around with.

12. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

I was gonna suggest something similar! A trick I learned rock/metal drums is where you have a copy of the kick but only use the transient from the copy. Keep the original kick full sounding and the copy shaved so hard you only get the initial agressive click, use transient designer to bring it out, then blend the click in so that it sounds good with the base kick!
    Similar trick works for toms!

WarMachine likes this.
  13. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Also another thing to use is a noise gate on a separate track. Adjust the threshold until it starts to literally "click", then run a sample to be triggered when the click happens. Using Reaper this is EXTREMELY easy to do!

myrtorp likes this.