Acoustic bass or electric bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Skyblue, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

So here's the deal- I turned 20 not too long ago, and my parents agreed to buy me a bass as a present. Problem is, buying both a bass and an amp might turn up a bit expensive as a gift (I don't really want to buy a 100$ cheap bass), so I had an idea- why not try an acoustic bass?

So here's what I'm asking, basically- aside for the obvious difference in sound, what's the major difference between playing an acoustic bass to an electric bass? Is it a smart idea? And if it is- any recommended companies/ models?

Any help would be appreciated~ :)

2. angus

angus SS.org Regular

Acoustic basses are useless without an amp- they are not capable of projecting and producing the volume that an acoustic guitar can, thus even at an acoustic gig, and acoustic guitar has to be mic'ed or pickup'd.

So basically, get a bass and an amp if that is what you want, because cheap acoustic basses aren't much good and you'll need an amp anyway.

3. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

For most applications an acoustic bass guitar is very limited. Usually they have higher action, and upper-fret access is far inferior to an electric. You will potentially have feedback issues when plugged in, virtually a non-concern with electrics. And only the very best, most expensive ABGs approach the volume of a steel-string acoustic guitar unplugged - and even then, only if you set the action high.

Except for very "niche" situations, you're going to be way better off with that $100 solidbody than with any acoustic bass guitar. A Squier or an SX through a decent amp will sound just fine. Or if you won't be gigging right away, you can get a nicer bass and practice through headphones or even your guitar amp at low volume.

4. Brill

Brill sweet little lolita.

What are you planing on playing? Accoustic basses are more for jazz and accoustic gigs.
    In either case. Why cant you just get the bass and save for an amp? You can get a decent practise amp for $100.

5. angus

angus SS.org Regular

I think you are thinking "upright/double bass"- he means "acoustic" as in "acoustic guitar".

6. LordIronSpatula

Well, if he wants to get a REAL acoustic, as in an upright, major props. That IS an instrument that can keep up in an acoustic setting! ;)

But an even remotely well-constructed, playable upright is $1200+ Probably not what the OP meant.

7. angus

angus SS.org Regular

And one that really projects much will be way more than that!

8. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Well first of all thanks for all the comments!

Anyway, I'll be probably using the bass for home-playing only- I'm not expecting any gigs in the time being... plus, being a soldier means I could carry the bass with me to my base (sounds weird saying that aloud lol)

On the other hand, god knows when the chance for a gig may arise~

I'm mostly planning on learning songs by bands I like (RHCP, Jamiroquai, maybe even tool), as I won't really have time to really work on learning Jazz and such (wich is the ultimate goal, but it's still a long way ahead)

9. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

EDIT: Double post for some reason...

10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee Active Member

I think you probably could get good use out of one of those bass and amp starter kits. Fender and Ibanez both make them and they may be a good choice while you're still learning the instrument and waiting to settle down somewhere. Best wishes to you during your time in service.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

11. LordIronSpatula

Well shoot, if you need a lot of portability the acoustic may actually be a better choice. If you're going to be taking it back and forth to and from your base and only practicing, not actually gigging, it might be better NOT to have an amp to haul around.

12. facepalm66

facepalm66 The Master of Joints

well as far as I tried jamming all acoustic with one guitar and bass (non pluged) it sounded alright, but the bass is not as loud as a guitar.
    The bass was quite cheap, about 200$

And those starter bass pacs sound tragic, don't want to dissapoint, just saying how it is.

It's like a war: In the HIGH - END world, a good bass tone is waaaaay more easier to handle while compared to a guitar.
    In the budget world, it's the opposite.

13. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

If you're only playing for yourself consider getting a cheap headphone option. I practice guitar probably 90% of the time through my pod with headphones or through my iphone with iRig. I'm sure you could play through headphones on the cheap.

Edit: Just checked: you can use the iRig with a bass. It's 39.99. Vox also has a headphone amp (and doesn't require a smart phone) for 49.99.

14. CaptainLuckeyBeard

CaptainLuckeyBeard El Capitan

Its always worth your time to look around a local pawn shop as well. Especially for a beginner guitar. You'll get something of a higher quality for cheaper. Just be wary of them trying to send you out with a POS. Bring a friend that has been playing for a while and knows what to look for and you'll be set