Acoustic arrangement of "Aquatic Ambience" from Donkey Kong Country [1080p]

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Fred, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Fred

Fred SS.org Regular

This is my 50th YT video, so decided to celebrate by going back to my roots (my first ever video was an acoustic arrangement of some Super Mario tunes).

One of my favourite video game soundtracks, and one of my favourite songs. Hope you enjoy!

Alberto7, ooidort, Winspear and 2 others like this.
  2. ThrustTony

ThrustTony SS.org Regular

Awesome!

Really nice sound and played to perfection!

I love it!

P.S Please can you do the He Man theme tune? lol

3. etcetera

etcetera SS.org Regular

That was beautiful, really nice sound as well. What did you record with?

4. Fred

Fred SS.org Regular

Sorry for the slow reply - still don't have internet at home.

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. I must admit I don't know He Man at all, so it's not hugely likely, but you never know...

Cheers mate. The guitars were all mic'ed with a Rode NT5 into an Edirol UA25, then had reverb, EQ, compression and subtle delay added in Ableton Live 8.

5. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Really well done! It was quite beautiful actually!

Just a couple of thoughts.

You could try not panning the two parts so hard, maybe at like 60-70%?
    I always found that hard panning in this case can be quite off putting with separate parts in headphones. It's fine on monitors but it was a little odd in the headphones.

Also, have you thought about adding a second mic? Because that's a beautiful guitar, and two mics could really capture it well I would think :) Something Dynamic perhaps?

6. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

Sounds beautiful! Very nice playing and the sound is so crisp!

Cheers man :D

7. dbrozz

dbrozz SS.org Regular

that was beautiful.
    nice work :agreed:

8. TheBotquax

TheBotquax SS.org Regular

dammit this is awesome

9. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Amazing, great job! :)

10. Fred

Fred SS.org Regular

Thank you! As it happens, the left and right guitars are panned exactly 70% either side, haha. I know what you mean, though, and wouldn't normally pan acoustics so hard (I tend towards 50-60% on average). With this piece, though, I found it hard to get sufficient separation between the "lead" guitar and the other two without either panning them slightly further apart or making deeper EQ cuts than I was happy with.

I used to use a two mic setup the whole time for acoustics (pairing the NT5 around the 12th fret with an NT1A at the soundhole - there's a video here using that setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ol1YSQBuo). Both for reasons of simplicity - no worries about phase issues, for a start - and for personal tone preferences, however, I went back to my old setup of just using the NT5 pointed right where the fretboard meets the soundhole. I tend to steer clear of dynamics for acoustic stuff, but that is 100% because of personal preference!

Thank you all very much indeed, very glad people enjoyed it! I had my reservations originally, and started work on an electric version which was slightly more faithful to the original, but I think on the whole that I'm glad I stuck with this one, so it's doubly awesome for that decision to have been validated, haha.

11. ooidort

ooidort SS.org Regular

Bringing a grown man down to tears without punching him in the balls is always an achievement. Thank you.

12. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Interesting, I guess I haven't recorded enough lead based Acoustic guitar to run into this problem yet. It's odd though, it might have been my ears playing tricks on me, but I just COULDN'T hear the other part when I listened with just one ear.

I listened to that other recording and I think the biggest problem is that an NT1A is such a bright microphone. You could always try a Dynamic like an MD521/MD421 or simply an SM57. Heck even a e609 could work well. If you wanted to that is :)

13. Alberto7

Alberto7 Sillygoose Engineering

This. Although I'm just 21 :lol:.

Donkey Kong Country was my first ever videogame, which came with my SNES when I was just 7 years old. As such, the music of this game is deeply embedded as part of my childhood memories. That particular song was always my favorite. Every time I play this game (I still beat the entire game on a yearly basis, at least :lol:) it's like reliving part of my childhood haha!

From a more objective point of view, however, I do think that the music in this particular videogame is absolutely brilliant, and only in very few instances have I heard such great music from videogames.

That cover was really beautiful, and the tone you managed to get from your guitar was magical, and incredibly well-fitting for the arrangement!

Absolutely loved it.
    Thank you for sharing it! :)

14. Fred

Fred SS.org Regular

Haha, well, glad I didn't have to go for plan B! Cheers dude.

Really glad you enjoyed it! I never owned a console, but I used to go round to my mate's house the entire time back when he first got a SNES. This was the only game that I was anywhere near as good at as him, so obviously it became my favourite, haha. I think I was probably too young at the time to fully appreciate how good the soundtrack was, but all of the themes certainly stuck in my head, and I'm amazed at how clearly I remember the whole thing when playing through it again now. Such a great game. Anyway, thank you!