MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
43163-E8-A-90-B8-4-C4-E-9130-FF5222804128.jpg
Wow, that's thinner than I expected!

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
Scordare, can you give any input on the neck dimensions? I read in the specs that it has a "thin U" neck shape. I Googled that and came up with about 20mm thick at 1st fret and around 22 mm at the 12th. Does that seem accurate?

OR can you compare it to some other guitar that's similar?

Also, I think the specs say it has jumbo frets. Are they really jumbo (like on electrics) or an "acoustic" jumbo?

Thanks in advance!

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Scordare, can you give any input on the neck dimensions? I read in the specs that it has a "thin U" neck shape. I Googled that and came up with about 20mm thick at 1st fret and around 22 mm at the 12th. Does that seem accurate?

Also, I think the specs say it has jumbo frets. Are they really jumbo (like on electrics) or an "acoustic" jumbo?

Thanks in advance!

ESP electrics, for the most part, aren't even proper jumbo frets, so you're not going to get that on an acoustic either :lol: The "XJ" designation is essentially meaningless.
The ones I've owned and played seem to top out at .051" high, whereas a genuine jumbo height fret is AT LEAST .055" (Dunlop 6100 spec) but honestly in this day and age the Jescar 57110 fretwire with a 0.057" is what should be the standard, given it's a much better wire than Dunlop anyway.
The 'jumbo' frets on Ibanez AZ guitars are also noticeably lower than my guitar with Jescar 57110 wire.
ESP USA and Custom Shop does use actual Jescar wire, 57110 size.

Scordare

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

I measure 20.2mm @ 1st fret and 22.7mm @ 12th fret. Fret heights are .054”

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ESP electrics, for the most part, aren't even proper jumbo frets, so you're not going to get that on an acoustic either :lol: The "XJ" designation is essentially meaningless.
The ones I've owned and played seem to top out at .051" high, whereas a genuine jumbo height fret is AT LEAST .055" (Dunlop 6100 spec) but honestly in this day and age the Jescar 57110 fretwire with a 0.057" is what should be the standard, given it's a much better wire than Dunlop anyway.
The 'jumbo' frets on Ibanez AZ guitars are also noticeably lower than my guitar with Jescar 57110 wire.
ESP USA and Custom Shop does use actual Jescar wire, 57110 size.

Try not to use raw fret height as a measure. Not only do raw frets vary wildly (a lot of 6100 wire ships closer to .05, Jescar can vary almost as much) but that's before level and crown.

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your info. Yes, I get it about the jumbo frets. With the guitars I have, many have "jumbo" frets, but they definitely aren't the same between brands.

And just thinking about it, I have an LTD M-1000 from back around 2015. I just googled the specs on that - supposed to have an extra-thin U neck (but it's chunkier than my Ibanez, Schecters or Jacksons) and supposed to have extra-jumbo frets (again, not as large as the others, from what I remember).

That's why I was hoping to get some real-world info. I'm thinking about buying one of these but I have no way of trying one out beforehand, so I'll be ordering one.

Thanks again!

Scordare

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your info. Yes, I get it about the jumbo frets. With the guitars I have, many have "jumbo" frets, but they definitely aren't the same between brands.

And just thinking about it, I have an LTD M-1000 from back around 2015. I just googled the specs on that - supposed to have an extra-thin U neck (but it's chunkier than my Ibanez, Schecters or Jacksons) and supposed to have extra-jumbo frets (again, not as large as the others, from what I remember).

That's why I was hoping to get some real-world info. I'm thinking about buying one of these but I have no way of trying one out beforehand, so I'll be ordering one.

Thanks again!

Get one while you can! Looks like that Schecter disappeared. I was trying to get one of those last year…probably not many in the wild. I am glad that I ended up the TL-7 though..it’s a great guitar.