About to order an Aristides, need some suggestions!

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Simic, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Hey! I'm about to order an aristides 060 and I have 2 ideas in my mind I can't decide between... They're both pretty much the same specs (dark richlite fretboard, hipshot trem, 2x BKP humbuckers, SS frets, satin finish), the only difference is the body color and hardware color.

Idea number 1 is pretty much the guitar in this pic - light blue pearl finish + chrome hardware, but with blue luminlay inlays on the fretboard. Every detail on the guitar fits the blue/chrome aesthetic with this one which suits my OCD but I'm afraid I'll grow tired of the color eventually.
    [​IMG]

Idea number 2 has black hardware with black open coil humbuckers with black poles (so totally black) and this beautiful red/purple chameleon satin finish. The only drawback with this idea is that I don't know if the normal white dot inlays would fit the whole dark aesthetic of the guitar...

Any idea which other material could be used here to make it more classy? A blank fretboard would be perfect but after playing on a guitar with a blank fretboard for 2 years now and playing guitars with fretboard inlays every now and again, I can see that I play better with inlays so I really wanna have them on this build...

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. scrub

scrub SS.org Regular

that red/purple chameleon is sick.

3. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I would go with the purple red chameleon.

4. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Aristides were torching hardware to match burnt chrome BKPs, I'm sure they could whip up some sort of alternate inlay material to match either the blue or red (or purple) shades of the chameleon. Go to an inlay material site -- there's basically any shade of color you want, and all sorts of synthetic effects. You only see like 1/100th on most guitars, but you do see some additional ones in the PRS private stock line-up (though the material cost is practically moot).

I'd be worried about the satin chameleon holding up to wear and tear. Those satin chameleon ibanez are nice but start to look bad and gloss up in less than a year.

5. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

I've got black dots on a black board with dutch orange coming in. Check out their instagram to get an idea of what stuff they'll do for you.

6. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Thanks, Ill check that out! About the satin finish - I talked with one of the guys from their crew about this issue but he told me that their satin finishes are of extremly high wuality and that I shouldnt worry about that... Maybe a gloss finish with a satin neck is a better idea tho...:scratch::scratch:

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Get inlays. When you're playing it you don't want to think how you could play that little bit better if it had them.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

I'm a sucker for chameleon finishes so I'd say go for that.

9. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Red/purple chameleon for sure, it's even better than the pictures make it out to be.