Abasi Concepts/Larada Megathread

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I didn't realise they were doing batches! I thought it was custom orders only!

2. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

There's just something about the shape that I dig so much. Really curious to start hearing real world stories about these.

They sent out a communication to their email list that they're temporarily pausing orders. It looks like everyone went nuts ordering these and I really hope they can keep consistency up while getting guitars out in a timely fashion

3. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

The design of that guitar is gorgeous. And Floyd Rose!!!! Yes please

Hollowway likes this.
  4. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

looks great not headless and with the Floyd, doubt I'd ever have the money for one... but looking lovely.

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Oof. 600,000 Yen is a lot of cheddar. Still, I’ll be on the hunt for a used one if they ever pop up in the future.

6. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Wait what. Goddammit they're opening on Monday. They're only showing it on the Rakuten shop though. I wonder if I can go see one in person. If the Shibuya shop gets one I'll go check it out.

600k is about the regular price for a custom shop import, so that's not too surprising.

7. Takk

Takk SS.org Regular

You can see and buy one at Miyaji Gakki Kanda store now.
    https://twitter.com/MiyajiGakki_K/status/1002038105258409986

gienek likes this.
  8. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

9. frank falbo

frank falbo SS.org Regular

Yeah this first batch came out great overall. We are simultaneously finishing a lot of one-off custom orders too. We had extensive discussions with them about these and the finishes. With Burl Maple you have a couple choices; use a thinner, more resonant finish and have some of the Burl’s voids and stuff affect the finish surface, or go thicker until it all fills in and is flatter.

For these first debut guitars they decided let’s go thin, and let the wood be the wood. I can respect that. When we do the pearl black/white and other paint colors then it’ll be a thicker finish, but I have ways of keeping those thinner than a typical “factory” finish too.

ElysianGuitars likes this.
  10. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I got to play the one in Ikebe today. Absolutely killer guitar. It DID have the finish issues people pointed out, make of that what you will. My impressions:

Neck was super comfy, like a Soloist. Fretwork was flawless. Extremely comfy sitting down in standard and classical position. Didn’t even notice the funky jack position, aka it’s good. I am 100% sold on Fishmans, they actually live up to the hype IMO. I wouldn’t retrofit them on a guitar with passives that I already liked, but they’re right up there with the best BKPs in terms of sound, clean and distorted. That single locking trem is also really nice- hadn’t tried one of those before. It’s not worth $5K USD but it’s absolutely a fantastic guitar.

narad likes this.
  11. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Other quick thoughts- the pickup selector location is FANTASTIC. You can instantly switch with your pinky and not move your hand from playing position. Upper fret access is also wonderful as long as you’ve got your thumb on the back of the neck.

12. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I'm off to Kanda in the morning to play one of these bad boys at Miyaji. Which Ikebe are they holding these at? I might take a look if possible.

13. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

You had me totally on board until this part.

StevenC and AxeHappy like this.
  14. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Says the man who has Aftermaths in his Ken Lawrence :lol:

Fishmans are fantastic, but I share the opinion Jeph has I don't feel like they're different enough to warrant me making the passive -> active switch. But I'll definitely order a guitar with them in the future so they come pre-installed.

StevenC likes this.
  15. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Pickups are super subjective my dudes!

16. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Yeah of course, just poking fun at Narad. :lol: I don't think he'll take that one to heart or anything :p

17. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

:(

cwhitey2 and Jonathan20022 like this.
  18. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I played the Abasi 8 maple today. The 6, 7, and non-maple neck models unfortunately weren't available to try. I absolutely do not know my way around an 8 string but the Abasi spacing made it feel not so daunting like an RG. My absolute favorite part was the neck though. Very smooth on the palm. It was thin but didn't feel Ibanez thin. I'm not sure what the fretboard radius is but coming from a 20" Strandberg it was still natural to play. Upper free access is pretty good, but I'm not at all used to singlecuts. And to top it off, it doesn't feel all that big and the basswood makes the guitar deceptively light.

I don't have a lot to say about the Fishmans other than the coil split sound was really cool. I was plugged into some Fender amp so I didn't really get much out of the gain sounds. I know some people have talked about the quickness of them but I didn't really get that.

Overall it's a great guitar but 600k JPY is just asking too much. Hell of an import cost. I couldn't get a good picture but it had some of that same glue residue or something at the top of the fretboard like that one controversial picture a few months ago. Otherwise I didn't find any visual flaws, and the frets were immaculate. I'd love to get a 6 or 7 someday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

frank falbo likes this.
  19. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

Curious to see if they're eventually going to release headless versions of these; it looks like it's not supposed to have a headstock, although I know Tosin himself doesn't seem to care for headless guitars too much (despite playing Strandbergs and Rick Toone guitars from time to time).

That said, that thing looks very nice. I was under the impression that they were going to use a modified Endurneck profile for these guitars but from your description, it looks like they went with a more traditional neck shape.

20. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Yeah I forgot to grab a picture of the back. It's a regular neck shape. Also headless has already been confirmed.

pfizer likes this.