Abasi Concepts/Larada Megathread

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

500.jpg

2. TheInvisibleHand

TheInvisibleHand SS.org Regular

Left foot always raised.

3. CW7

CW7 SS.org Regular

Any of that reputation is a thing of past. After owning 4 Over the last couple yearS, I’ve not had many guitars in my hands that are on the level of Skervesen. (I am a big collector and trader of boutique guitars, so there’s not much I haven’t owned or at least played for some time). Anything after 2017 or so is AMAZING. The older ones are hit or miss. But they’ve refined their process and I would have zero issue doing another build now as they are about as good as it gets for fit and finish.

4. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

That's good to hear—if they start making designs I like I'll have to consider one at some point.

CW7 and Jack McGoldrick like this.
  5. Jack McGoldrick

Jack McGoldrick SS.org Regular

You know, high quality high performance metal guitars are nicely priced but the same thing for jazz? 10k. Makes me sad I can’t go to a gig with a Skervesen.

6. CW7

CW7 SS.org Regular

I can appreciate that. I used to DESPISE the Shoggie. Lol but when I finally got to try one, the ergonomics blew me away, along with the superior quality (I was really into Strandberg, it the barely acceptable QC was a big turn off). Now I’m hooked. This is my current go to .

7. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

That type of joint for anyone skilled in woodwork is not that difficult. More time consuming and more material wasted, although for a small builder the wastage is negligable, it's only a thing really if you're a major manufacturer and the volume of material that would be wasted is equal to 50 guitars.

The issue I have is that the J-Larada's are made in a factory, bolt-on and still nearly three grand. Not even US-made (not that US-made actually matters anymore given the state of the US guitar world, however it's a marketing schtick that sells guitars nonetheless).

anton s, Masoo2 and Jack McGoldrick like this.
  8. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Neck thru would make it a good bit harder to build, for experienced luthiers maybe not, but in terms of a high production setup it would probably slow things down a bit.

A set neck is a neck and a body, they can be made independently of each other. If there are CNC's involved (which there is) it speeds up the time in which a body and neck can be made and brought close to completion before even coming in to contact (depending on how they organise their workflow). This also allows more leeway, should something go wrong with either the neck or the body.

Neckthu, you're already committed to 1 instrument from the start in essence. The neck blank, and the body wings have to be setup properly, if there's a neck angle it's gonna make things a bit trickier on CNC I imagine. Not to mention it'd be a neck thru with an angled headstock, which confuses me as to how they'd cut it and I own a CNC.

I've done a "similar" neck joint on my Abasi headless build, while not identical, with the right tools you can do their neck joint fairly easily by hand.

Bottom line, 2 pieces are easier than 1. You can have a load of Necks ready and a load of bodies independently.

anton s and jephjacques like this.
  9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I am learning things in this thread now and it rules

10. CW7

CW7 SS.org Regular

Blue drip is on the verb (again).

11. Fizz

Fizz SS.org Regular

Got my larada and have been messing around with it a little bit! So far I'm loving it.

Build quality seems pretty much perfect to my untrained eyes. It's surprisingly light and thin, which I love. The finish is awesome, and the matte top and gloss bevels look interesting without being overly flashy or anything. I'm really happy with the fretwork too. The setup isn't perfect out of the box (it's perfectly playable, the low frets just got some buzz is all, going to take care of that tomorrow)

The neck feels really nice. It's probably my favorite neck to play on out of the guitars I own. I don't really notice the asymmetrical aspect of it when I'm playing, but in general the neck just feels natural and comfortable.

Sound wise, the pickups are badass. These are my first active pickups and they're also already my favorite. There's so many tones you can get out of these things and they're all great sounding.

So far, I'm still figuring out an optimal way to balance it in my lap while sitting. I've found it to be ok on my left leg either in a normal or classical position, but for some reason when I have it on my right leg it feels neck heavy, and I have to either hold the neck up or put pressure on the body with my right forearm to keep it upright, which can get uncomfortable. I'm not sure if this is just me, because I don't think I'm seeing other people experience this in the few videos on YouTube I can see

In general it just seems to not want to sit still in my lap in any position, but despite that it's quite comfortable in classical position. The contour for classical is really nice and I want all guitars to have this now. I haven't tried standing yet because the strap buttons are too fat for my strap locks I have at home, lol.

Overall it's still too early to fully figure out what I think, but my first impressions are that I'm loving it. I'm pretty happy I went through with getting it so far, and hopefully that stays true after the honeymoon phase ends.

Only got this one pic for now but I'll try to get some more this weekend
    20200730_130533.jpg

12. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

that color with the maple fretboard is fuckin TASTY

Fizz likes this.
  13. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Mine has shipped but between Covid and Canadian customs I'll consider it a victory if it arrives by the end of August

Jack McGoldrick likes this.
  14. bassisace

bassisace SS.org Regular

Getting a non-Space T during the last sale is a big victory in itself.

15. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

baby blue is great for a newborn ! congrats @Fizz

HungryGuitarStudent and Fizz like this.
  16. Estilo

Estilo SS.org Regular

This. Custom builders locally are literally charging $10 premium for a set neck compared to bolt on, and another $10 for neck-thru compared to a set neck. Low labour costs and generally lower cost of living do factor into it, but still..

17. CW7

CW7 SS.org Regular

I had the same experience; quite neck heavy , especially if you try in “standard” playing position on the right leg.

This design, imo, SCREAMS to be headless (which is why I have Mr. Falbo building new a sick 8 string without the aforementioned neck dive problem ).

But I will day the the J blew the doors off the USA I had. Better overall quality, fit and finish all around. Congrats , man. That’s a fun color combo.

Fizz and I play music like this.
  18. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Yeah I feel like people think of Grover as some kind of magician because of his legendary status from back in the day. But from what I keep hearing his builds are like average quality, not bad at all but not exceptionally good either. I mean not only Abasi but also the other stuff he builds like G2J. Have no personal experience to back that up though ..

19. Jack McGoldrick

Jack McGoldrick SS.org Regular

We’re into August now so we just need a wmi vs Japan vs Grover showdown

20. AmoryDrive

AmoryDrive SS.org Regular

IMO:
    1.WMI
    2. Japan
    3. Grover

Price to Performance is a huge factor in that ranking. In my opinion the Bolt on Wenge necks with the teardrop profile should be standard across the board. The set maple necks on the Grover builds are a different flavor, but for me bolt on wenge is king here. Love my J, but I would've loved to score that dark burl WMI they had at NAMM lol

Jack McGoldrick likes this.