Abasi Concepts/Larada Megathread

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. TheInvisibleHand

TheInvisibleHand SS.org Regular

You are correct. That was most of my headache. Although, in full disclosure, the last Floyd I used was likely in 1999.....

2. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I don't blame you there! I'm totally turned-off full floating trems too. No matter how good I was at tuning them, it just wasn't worth the hassle.

One exception... my JP15. Some guitars are so good it may be worth the trade-off. It'd take them to be VERY good and based on what you said, that Larada indeed belongs there! :)

TheInvisibleHand likes this.
  3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Not to turn this into a Floyd thread, but removing the ball ends doesn't even have to be an extra step. Just put the ball end at the tuning peg, and it actually makes it easier to wind, anyway.

xzacx likes this.
  4. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Yeah I see tons of folks do it too... To me it looks equally as bad as loose strings at the headstock!

5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I just hate that changing a string means taking out tools. :lol:

BlackMastodon likes this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You just clip the extra string length off, and the ball attached at the end, like you would any other guitar, regardless of bridge.

Unless, do you wind the entire string length around the post? :ugh:

I install wrench holders on everything, some hardtails too. :lol:

Hollowway likes this.
  7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

It’s true - having that little Floyd wrench holder on the back of the headstock is the best invention ever. My very first guitar had one, and I think they should be standard on all Floyd equipped guitars.

Solodini and Spicypickles like this.
  8. pott

pott SS.org Regular

No. I always just call the ball end, lock through there, then wind the regular way (3 or 2 winds on the wound strings, 3 to 4 on plains, and if I felt like it using the locking technique). I just never 'got' the using of the ball-ends on the headstock side, since the cutting of them hardly feels like much effort.

But I think you may have gotten lucky there... I've seen plenty of people who'd wind the ENTIRE STRING UP TO THE BALL END at the headstock. So yes, lock the 'free' end, then just wind, and wind, and wind... WHY.

Wildebeest and Jared Strack like this.
  9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That was always a pain in the ass.

Dude would come in with a really nice, expensive guitar and have the entire fucking string wrapped around the tuner.

"That's how BB does it!"

Added an extra five or so minutes, but was just annoying.

Wildebeest likes this.
  10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I feel personally attacked.

11. bassisace

bassisace SS.org Regular

What browser did you guys use to purchase from the Abasi Concepts page? Just wanna make sure I’m well prepared for all the July arrivals ;)

12. stupidweakbaby

stupidweakbaby SS.org Regular

Your browser choice will be the least of your concerns, unless you’re using Netscape Navigator or something. You’ll definitely want to have your credit card info/address set up in Shopify before the day comes. I saw that people in various places had their desired guitars in their carts, but ultimately lost them because they were scrambling to enter that information. You’ll also want to make sure you’ve signed up for their mailing list so that you’ll get a heads up on what day/time the guitars will be made available. After you know this, you’ll want to be planted in front of your computer and constantly refreshing during that time interval.

If the July release is anything like the most recent batch, the 8-strings will disappear in just a few seconds. You may have more time for the 6-strings though, if that’s what you’re looking for. I can’t help but to feel that I was exceptionally lucky with my purchase, a lot of people were pretty disappointed and I’ve only seen one other person successfully get one (the guy who got the purple one in these forums). Good luck, you will need it.

bassisace likes this.
  13. bassisace

bassisace SS.org Regular

@stupidweakbaby : thanks for the tips! I’m not sure there’s a way to login to the abasiconcepts website beforehand, i.e. there’s no login system for their website that I know of. I asked about browsers because some people complained about the page crashing.

14. Turdsandwich

Turdsandwich SS.org Regular

Do a Nike bot. I bought 2 that way.

15. bassisace

bassisace SS.org Regular

It sucks that people resort to this.

16. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

It’s sad that people use bots to resell at ridiculous prices or to hoard guitars.

Shopify is in the midst of adding antibot apps that use deep learning agents to identify and kick out bots, as well as figure out their proxies and ban the original IP. I hope they use those apps on the Abasi Concepts page.

Sidenote: As far as I know (which isn’t much), bots that actually work are like 500$/year, so unless you’re a reseller who wants to make a buck on Reverb, it adds a significant cost to your guitar? Anyhow, bots suck.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  17. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I love that buying guitars is now hypebeasted.

Masoo2 and Jack McGoldrick like this.
  18. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Had to google “hypebeast”.

Hollowway and BlackMastodon like this.
  19. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I remember when bots were for sniping ebay auctions.

20. TheInvisibleHand

TheInvisibleHand SS.org Regular

I think this may be an appropriate time to post this:

Follow-up review of the Larada Spartan 6 after about a few weeks of playing.

I can faithfully say that the honeymoon period is over with my Larada 6. I still very much enjoy playing, but after getting over the initial swoon, there are a few things that would give me pause before spending this much on a guitar like this again.

1: Nickel frets on a $3000 guitar. What initially seemed like an "odd" choice now seems like a lazy one. SS frets come on the Master series 8, why wouldn't they put them on a guitar at essentially the same price range?

2: Apart from the unique body shape, the playing experience isn't anything remarkably better than I've had on a prestige or an ESP. Now, don't get me wrong, that is still a very good playing experience. It's phenomenally fun to play, I just don't think its an extra $1000-$1500 more fun to play.

3: Mine came with a bad pot. Easy fix, but still shouldn't be happening on this caliber (*cough* price) guitar.

All in all, I am still happy with my purchase. And this all holds little water for the 8 string models. I can't say for certain that this will ultimately be a keeper, and I think as I come back to reality with it, I am realizing that it was very easy to get swept up in the hype surrounding these instruments. When i first played I thought I had found God, and now...... maybe just a quality guitar that is probably $500-700 too expensive for what it is.

Masoo2, Solodini, Hollowway and 7 others like this.