A very fine deal indeed!!!

Gabriel 1313

A minor slip
Reaction score
20220526_102158.jpg 20220526_102158.jpg I found this in our local pawn shop. Peavey head and Ibanez 4x4. I know the family that owns the store do I asked what the story was. Apparently a band had been traveling the circuit of up and coming bands and had pawned these. They couldn't sell them here in this area of Montana. So I said to them " hey, I'll bring you a almost new Fender Champion 40 and through in a couple hundred in cash for them tonight, well they are here and I am thrilled. It was a funny moment when the guy said " hey what is that thrash nob on there mean, I think that maybe the reason it didn't sell! Anyway, does anyone have any info on the amp head. It really is a beast as far as I am concerned and I didn't know Ibanez made cabnits, but after checking the speaker choice, this one was replaced with green backs do yeah, party on with that. Any help with the connection of the fx loop wood be appreciated.

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It’s a Peavey Transtube Supreme head. Similar to a silver stripe Bandit in head form. One unique feature is that it has an output transformer, unlike most solid state amps.

The T-dynamics control is supposed to emulate a driving tube power amp. Turn it all the way up for maximum headroom, or down for more compression and sag.

I believe the thrash control introduces a mid scoop to the lead channel’s eq. It’s pretty common on a lot of Peavey amps from that time period. (edit: just looked it up and it’s 20 dB notch in the mids.)

If I recall correctly, James Brown worked on this one, and one of his colleagues worked on the XXL at the same time.

What do you want to put in the effects loop?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I had no idea! Regardless, old SS PV rules, nice score.

Hope you didn't pay too much. The cab is worth some money with those greenbacks but never forget:

all peavey $100

That sounds like one of those Chinese to American translation tees you'd see at a flea market.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not taking a dump on the OP, nice score. But goddamn I hate when there are loop inputs on the front of an amp. Thats a major pet peeve of mine. My valveking I had had the loop on the front like that and I hated having those extra cables poking out the front.

Spinedriver

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not taking a dump on the OP, nice score. But goddamn I hate when there are loop inputs on the front of an amp. Thats a major pet peeve of mine. My valveking I had had the loop on the front like that and I hated having those extra cables poking out the front.
The Marshall Valvestate head I had also had the loop on the front. Personally, I found it kind of convenient.. lol.
Not gonna lie though, I do kinda miss the Supreme XL head I had back in the early 2000's.

Gabriel 1313

A minor slip
Reaction score
It’s a Peavey Transtube Supreme head. Similar to a silver stripe Bandit in head form. One unique feature is that it has an output transformer, unlike most solid state amps.

The T-dynamics control is supposed to emulate a driving tube power amp. Turn it all the way up for maximum headroom, or down for more compression and sag.

I believe the thrash control introduces a mid scoop to the lead channel’s eq. It’s pretty common on a lot of Peavey amps from that time period. (edit: just looked it up and it’s 20 dB notch in the mids.)

If I recall correctly, James Brown worked on this one, and one of his colleagues worked on the XXL at the same time.

What do you want to put in the effects loop?
-
Thank you!!! I want to tr to run my Boss G1 through it, right now I am just going through the input connection.

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
-
Thank you!!! I want to tr to run my Boss G1 through it, right now I am just going through the input connection.

GT-1? Depends what you’re using it for.

If you’re using the preamp sims, you can bypass the amp’s preamp: guitar -> GT-1 -> FX return. That way you can have the GT-1’s effects before and after the preamp.

If you’re mainly using it for modulation, delays, reverbs, and other effects that usually come after distortion, put it in the effects loop: guitar -> amp input -> FX send -> GT-1 -> FX return. You can still use all the effects, but they’ll all come after the preamp, including any amp distortion. The wah can also sound cool here, because it has a lot of harmonics to work with.

Or you can keep it in front of the amp if you’re mostly using the effects that make sense there: boosts, overdrives, wah, phaser, etc. Other effects into distortion can sound cool too. Flangers and choruses are more subtle. Delays behave differently, and distorted reverbs get you that shoegaze sound.

In all cases I’d turn off the cab sim, and in all but the first I’d also turn off the preamp sim.

Latest posts