A strike of odd luck has me looking at VHT

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by incinerated_guitar, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

VHT's seem to have a "churpy" harsh palm mute sound.

My Powerball V1 was extremely tight but the palm mutes were very full.

It is just the tone of the amp, not how it is played. I don't like how Diezel VH4's sound for the same reason as the UL100, and most VHT's.

I eventually sold the Powerball because it was so tight and much later got a 5150. Now I can actually play sludge, and play slow and things sound full.

Not hatin, I used to like tight amps too, but my tone has changed a great deal over the years along with my playing style.

2. iff

iff SS.org Regular

Getting an ABY soon to run my Titan and Deliverance in stereo...I can't wait.

Apparently the first run came with a bad resistor value or something along those lines and so pretty much all of them had some trouble with small things blowing. Not a big problem, but definitely an annoyance that shouldn't be happening. All fixed now though.

3. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I tend to enjoy "loose" amps with a boost more than ultra-tight amps.

4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I am using a 212 Avatar with Eminence Legend V12's.

I tried my 212 GFlex also, but I have stuck with the V12's for some reason.

I have noticed it seems to like my EMG guitars over my Duncan guitars better. I had this same issue with the Mark III I had before it. I have not tried my Blackouts yet.

5. Pedrojoca

Pedrojoca Gear Whore

[​IMG]

6. GibsonVGuy

GibsonVGuy SS.org Regular

People that play a Deliverance aren't really showing what they can do without a boost. They have this BIG sound to them. I miss my 120 but have heard the 60 is more "in your face" sounding.

A boost transforms the Deliverance....

7. incinerated_guitar

incinerated_guitar SS.org Regular

Id surely be using a boost for the Sig: X just because I love and ultra tight tone:lol: Also, my band requires tightness and clarity, which is why I want to go with the Sig: X. I dont want the Pitbull, because I think without the boost, its not QUITE tight enough, but with it, its almost over doing it, and I still like some low punch to my tone (another reason I LOVE eminence). I just think Ill be happiest with the Sig: X, especially since I want an amp that has so many options.

8. terrormuzik

terrormuzik SS.org Regular

From what I've noticed beind a VHT lover, the Pitbull UL is the tightest of all VHT amps I've heared (CL is a bit more vintage). And it doesn't really need any boost until You change tubes for different ones. You might think it does, but the longer You play it, the cleaner Your playing becomes, as You keep picking harder and harder.

I've played Deliverance (120 & 60), Pitbull (UL & CL), sig-x, and finally I've decided to get the GP3 preamp (very similar to UL). Sig-x is the worst sounding VHT if You ask me, but that's just my opinion.

9. TubeTone

TubeTone Well-Known Member

I've played all VHT/Fryette amps. To those who plan on getting a Sig-X I would seriously suggest trying out a UL first. Moreso, if you pop EL34s in the powersection (consult your amp tech first). All in all, the Pittbull CLX and the UL on EL34s are the best Fryette amps I've ever played.

10. Sang-Drax

Sang-Drax God is dad

Living in Curitiba (Brazil). Originally from Rio.
    You know what, before I took a break on the guitar playing (shitty times, but soon coming to an end, I hope) I was really into that vibe as well. The 'somewhat clean' channel in my amp (copied after a Fender Bassman) can go from really clean to a nice crunch just with picking dynamics, a little tweaking in the volume knobs, and a boost. The songs I never had to change to the actual lead channel ('Dual Rectifier' mode) always sounded more organic to my ears.

11. guy in latvia

guy in latvia SS.org Regular

just a tiny piece of advice. my friend primarily plays engl amps but managed to get a pretty cheap sig:x. he said it sounded amazing, one of the best amps hes ever played, but he sold it. only because it was so ridiculously loud it was unusable to him. it overpowered everything in their jam room and was raping everyones ears. so just keep in mind, its a great sounding amp, but be prepared for ridiculous volumes!

12. incinerated_guitar

incinerated_guitar SS.org Regular

Well Im not quite too sure on the VHT now anyway haha:lol: Just certain qualities about it are turning me away. Im looking at ENGL and Blackstar now. I might get a Blackstar HT-100 for now until I can afford an ENGL SE670 EL34. Seems smarter to me to buy a $850 head that sounds good to hold me over until I buy a $4000 head than to spend $2400 to hold me over:lol:

13. TubeTone

While VHT's are not known for sounding great at low volumes, ENGLs are not either. Your friend must've been doing something wrong. Unless we're talking about an ENGL Gigmaster here :lol:

14. iff

iff SS.org Regular

Makes sense; my Deliverance is the loudest amp I've ever heard. Just ridiculous.

SS sounds the same at all volumes!

15. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I find that my 50CL sounds great at low volumes. The trick is to keep the master up to 2:00 or so and adjust the channel volume. And the Sig:X is NOT tighter than the Pittbulls. And it was intentionally designed to not be.

And not to be a jerk, but when someone asks a gear question that has to do with sound (not specs) the only people that should be posting are people who have actually played the amps in question. Saying "I've read" or "I've heard" just propagates myths and rumors and doesn't help the OP at all.

16. TubeTone

lol, this is like the essence of forums! :wallbash:

17. WarriorOfMetal

WarriorOfMetal The Dragonrider Contributor

Not necessarily true....the Ampeg VH-150 I had for a couple years opened up noticeably around 2.5-3 on the volume knob.

18. iff

iff SS.org Regular

Just joking about what he said about Engls sounding bad at low volume. :)

19. 7slinger

7slinger wake up dead Contributor

iirc I payed around $1400. the prices came down on them of course shortly after I bought it. it was in perfect cosmetic shape

wasn't my experience at all, it was no louder than the rivera KR55 I had at the same time

20. guy in latvia

guy in latvia SS.org Regular

Dunno, I've owend two engls and played some other models, sure they sound better louder, but compared to most tube amps engls sound great at low volumes!