A little help with old Jacksons

MrNotFlyWhiteGuy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, I've been looking at getting a new guitar and some old jackson dinky's have caught my eye. I was wondering what the deal was on the old (2007 era) dk2ms and how they compare to the old 90's professional ones, which i've heard are kinda the holy grail of used jacksons. any help is super appreciated!

MrNotFlyWhiteGuy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
what I would like to know about the DK2M's is how do they compare as far as fretwork, and fit and finish, to the earlier MIJ models? I would probably end up replacing a lot of the hardware anyway.

Aso

Single Hum Zealot
Reaction score
I have 2 DK2m guitars and I recently picked up a 90s Rhoads Professional. The DK2m's are great workhorses and really good guitar for the money but they don't really compare to the 90s. The 90s Professionals used Mother of pearl for the inlays and logo, a German Schaller floyd.

I have had no fretwork or finish issues with either my Dk2m or the Rhoads. They were both made in the same factory so quality is pretty similar.

MrNotFlyWhiteGuy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
so if I understand correctly, the guitars are similar as far as quality goes but the hardware on the pro series puts it in another league.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
The DK2M is one of the best deals around. The hardware isn't as nice as something from the USA select line, but it's close call as far as playability.

I have one and will never let it go!

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I'll add that you can occasionally find the old MIJ DK2Ms in Guitar Center's used gear site. Mine was in not so great shape when I got it, but after a little love it's a great player. I prefer neckthrus, but it's one of the best bolt-ons I've played!

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I miss my old Candy Red DK2M. Got scammed out of it in a trade :(

Really should have just swapped the JB out instead of doing anything else.

MrNotFlyWhiteGuy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, sir! Biochemistry and Molecular Biology class of 2011!
about 90 percent of my friends go there atm. How many of them will make it through is iffy at best. And I'm normally at least a set neck guy, but the old MIJ dinky that I played the other day was just insane.

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
It's a Jackson.............it wins.

Those DK2M's (& the DK2's) are amazing, simple as that.

There is often confusion over Jackson's model & series names. The DK's are Pro Series from that time. The 90's Pro Series is not exactly the same as the Professional series. The Pros are the ones that rivaled the USA models, they had binding, sharkies, ebony boards....you get the picture.
The Professionals were not far behind but had dots, no binding, rosewood boards.
I'm not sure if there were crossovers, i.e Pro Series Professionals, someone might come along & correct me or elaborate on what I'm dribbling.

In any case, get yourself a DK2M & make sweet love to it.

Edika

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was looking into the DK2M's and ended up getting one. I haven't had any experience with 90's pro line but the DK2M's are lot of guitar for the money, especially for what they're going for used. The licensed floyd is stable enough but I don't use it much to see it's capabilities. Strangely you can do the flutter effect but not as well as a OFR. They sound good and play great. I really liked the neck on this guitar and the compound radius is really comfy. I've never played the JB before and I like it in E standard and E flat. I tried it in drop C and wasn't impressed as it sounded really dull. Fretwork seems quite good but depending on previous use and how well it was taken care off it might require a fret level. The one I got was in a good state and doesn't require one.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have yet to play a bad Japanese DK2M. They got something seriously right with that guitar.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
I have yet to play a bad mij Jackson at all. Some are better than others obviously. Thats with all guitars though. I still regret not getting a 90's pro back in the day. I just couldnt with college, and that nonsense.

Aso

Single Hum Zealot
Reaction score
It's a Jackson.............it wins.

Those DK2M's (& the DK2's) are amazing, simple as that.

There is often confusion over Jackson's model & series names. The DK's are Pro Series from that time. The 90's Pro Series is not exactly the same as the Professional series. The Pros are the ones that rivaled the USA models, they had binding, sharkies, ebony boards....you get the picture.
The Professionals were not far behind but had dots, no binding, rosewood boards.
I'm not sure if there were crossovers, i.e Pro Series Professionals, someone might come along & correct me or elaborate on what I'm dribbling.

In any case, get yourself a DK2M & make sweet love to it.

Here is a picture of my 90's Rhoads Professional Pro. This is one of those models that has MOP Shark inlays, headstock logo and rivaled the USA made ones at the time. As you can see it has both professional and pro on the headstock. The early 90s professional pros didn't have the truss rod cover that said Rhoads Pro but the later ones did. Jackson made a confusing mess with the Pro and Professional designations over the years but this site explains more in detail http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jackson-rhoads-pro-ex-std-professional.htm.

I do have two Dk2Ms with floyd brass big blocks in them and I love them. They are the guitars I play the most.

k1lTdEa.jpg

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
Yep, so the pros are professionals as well. There's pro professional then there's standard professional. I have a Fusion SX, it'd be a standard model, it has no binding, dots & rosewood.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Audiozone.dk site is fantastic - he's done great work on the history of the (now sadly gone) Japanese lines.