A few bass questions

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by viifox, Jun 8, 2020.

1. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, but am fairly new to the recording scene.

I'm currently using the Omega amp plugin (which is awesome), and I have been double tracking with great results.

I just picked up Eurobass, but am a bit confused on how to actually implement it in a mix.

So i really only have a few questions when it comes to implementing Eurobass into the mix.

1. Is it best to only single track? Or should i record 2 takes and then pan them stereo? Or is Eurobass already recorded in stereo, so there's no need for that?

2. What the hell does the bass actually play? Does it follow the guitar? Does it follow the drums? Everyone seems to have a different take on this, and from all the music i listen to, the answer is BOTH!

But how the hell do you know what is going to work best for each situation?

The track I'm currently working on is a bit djenty, and a bit melodic, if that helps any.

3. Is automation (ducking/sidechaining) recommended so that the double kick and bass don't muddy the mix? I use this technique all the time for other genres of music, so am just wondering if the same applies here.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  2. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Regarding question 1, isn't the bass actually just center panned (or close to it) in most mixes?

3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Yeah, you really don't need stereo for bass. If you do you can low-pass a parallel track and add a stereo chorus or something light a little dimensions. Obviously not 100%, but I like bass to follow the guitars tightly during percussive riffy parts and follow the drums more during more melodic sections while outlining any chord changes/implied changes.

viifox likes this.
  4. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Perfect! Thanks!

5. music rehabhd

music rehabhd SS.org Regular

1. The only time you get 2 bass tracks are when you’re using a DI and miking and amp at the same time. Other than that I wouldn’t double track the bass. Keep it centered and if you want you can duplicate a bass track and add distortion so it cuts through the mix.

2. Bass usually follows guitar but I find that Bass sounds great holding the melody when guitars are harmonizing and following drums during syncopated breakdowns.

3. side chaining is optional, I know some engineers who do and some that don’t. I personally don’t side chain because my bass mix usually doesn’t fight with the kick drum mix. If they are then I’d suggest using a side chain.

Hope this helps.

viifox likes this.
  6. Alimination

Alimination Space Adventurer

bass being dead center pretty much reinforces the guitars thickness in the lower end.

All thought I have done some super wide synth bass sounds in the past, usually around 250 herts and below I keep it mono, and everything up can get wide.

on a more philosophical level, around 100 and below everything (even the low end of a kick) starts sounding line a sine wave. Keeping the smooth DI of a bass just naturally sounds more powerful over a fully distorted low end in my opinion, but feel free to experiment to see what works for you.

Side-chaining is mostttlllyy utilized in the edm or hip hop world. Where it is used to tame the subs of a bass. If utilized right, that ducking sound can sound natural. I can't say I've used it in metal or rock tracks. Particularly with fast double kicks. But try experimenting, if you think you're ruining your sound, don't side chain, and just carve out a space in your EQ where your kicks would be.

viifox likes this.