A discussion about mids and how you dial 'em in

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Spaced Out Ace, Nov 16, 2019.

1. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

2. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

I pile em on...crank them up on the amp, add more in via an mxr 10 band, use a mid heavy ceramic pup and inject a mid hump via a mid heavy OD...I like mids.

3. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

I have the mids maxed on my SLO. They used to sound nasally when set too high. But using Lava cables made the mids a lot more pleasing. I just dial each amp on a case by case basis. Every amp is different.

I also use a King of Tone to push it. With BK Holy Divers. It's a pretty mid heavy setup. But with my cables, tubes, and speakers, it loves mids. More the better.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  4. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I think of mids and gear in general like a puzzle. The goal for me is to get everything to fit together in my main rig.

If I’m running my 5150 through a 1960A the mids on the amp get cranked, presence comes down. Through a 1960TV the mids get turned down presence and resonance come up.

For the past 4 years I’ve been playing through dual amp rigs and that’s were the real fun is. Running a scooped stack alongside my 5150/greenback stack I can have the best of both worlds. Still I treat it all like puzzle, the two sounds are eq’d to fit together. I just got my modded MP-1 back, I’ll probably be sharing some pics soon. Let me say, the 3.666 mod scoops. It sounds like a hot Recto with some eq tweaks. I actually find it similar to the Big Bottom model with less fizz. Because it’s there to compliment the 5150 and not compete I’ve got the mids gutted and boost with a Reaper pedals Pandemonium OCD in lp mode, not a tubescreamer type pedal. The 5150 is set up in the opposite way, mids on the amp balanced with the greenies, GT-OD pumping up the mids and shaving off areas the MP-1 fills.

budda and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  5. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Hmmm, I adjust mine either on the graphic eq (3 total, one for each preamp, one master), as i leave the preamp eq normally pretty flat. My pickups are ceramic I prefer the X2N so no scoop there. My cabs are where I've chosen to bake in a scoop. One is a Peavey Festival with Wizards and T75s, and a KMD that is loaded with Wgs Vet30s and Jbl K120s X patterned.

Spaced Out Ace and Necky379 like this.
  6. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Right now I'm running two mid-heavy amps boosted with tubescreamers into a marshall 1960a, so I guess mids up front and then scooped from the t75 speakers

for other stuff I use a DOD Grunge with the treble turned low, or a rat with the filter pretty high, or both, which is a much less middy setup

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  7. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

I'm a very different guy from you all! I like scooping my mids on the amp, but I like a bit still in there. I aim for that Exodus "Exhibit A/B" sound, where it's scooped, but there's still a healthy amount of mids somehow. I always boost with a TS9, then scoop as many mids I can get away with on the amp. My Engl Savage is very kind to mid scooping, and I can pull them almost all the way out and flip the Contour switch while somehow still being heard in the mix. My JCM800, on the flip side, hates having it's mids pulled out, at least with the EQ knobs. I've gotten good results running an EQ in the loop. I use V30s almost exclusively, which also helps. I've used 1960s in the past and they make it harder to scoop. The Savage manages to still hang, though. That amp is a weird beast.

c7spheres and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  8. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I like to boost em a little before the amp, cut all the flub and sizzle that I don't want first in the chain, I like the amp to be "full" with pretty decent balance between high/mid/lows, then a parametric EQ after the amp to notch out or boost anything that's getting in the way. Thinking about getting some Lace pickups for my 9s to have an even more Hi Fi input signal to work with.

9. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Damn the Savage is a great amp...Really the only amp I regret selling.

10. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

I love mine. You know something has gone terribly wrong for me when mine goes up for sale, because I intend to be buried with it. :p It's such a crushing amp. I can't think of a better amp for thrash than it. Keep in mind I also own a clone of Gary Holt's Marshall, and I slightly prefer the Savage.

11. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

I use what I have at my disposal and dial until its correct.

Pickups and boost pedals are pre-gain EQ.

EQ, loop EQ, and speakers are post-gain EQ.

IME, pre-gain EQ (pickups and boost) are where most of the focus should be (influences the character the most), because any "competent" amp has a tone stack that allows to balance the overall signal between guitar and speakers.

When it comes down to it, all you need is your favorite pickups/guitar, favorite boost, and an EQ in the loop to recreate virtually any tone.

12. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

5153 blue channel mids about 11 o clock.

helix eq block after amp adds some back in but not a lot.

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I use a wide range of pickups, but the main guitars for me are an alder Strat with Suhr MLs (fairly middy for a singlecoil), a mahogany Suhr with Thornbuckers (no clue, but they sound good), an ash Suhr with a Custom 7 (seems to focus more on the upper mids), and a basswood UV with a Blaze (tons of low mids). This goes into a Mark V usually in Mark IV mode, with the EQ off and neutral mid settings on the preamp (11-1 usually), but an amp that has a metric fuckton of mids. From there, a Recto 4x12 with V30s, and in the mix I'll usually add a little bit arounf 1.8khz, so again some extra upper mids.

Basically, ALL the midrange.

Thaeon and c7spheres like this.
  14. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

What kind of music do you play? I play 70s and 80s rock and metal stuff, so most of it uses a decent amount of midrange. Thinking of getting either two MXR EQs (one 6 and one 10 band for before and after the gain portion specifically), or an ART Dual 15 band EQ.

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Bluesy shred. Think Joe Satriani, Andy Timmons, Nick Johnston, even a bit of John Petrucci I guess, that sort of stuff.

I really need to get going on a followup, this was January 2015.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Adieu and Thaeon like this.
  16. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Unless its a Mark Series or something like it. Standard EQ on those is before the gain with the graphic sculpting the tone after overdriven. Probably why that amp can cop so many different tones.

Thornbuckers are upper mids/treble forward. Pete Thorn basically wanted a slightly brighter, stronger, and more cutting PAF. Sick pickup. They sound almost like a PAF with a little single coil bite to me.

Really nice tones man. I grew up listening to a ton of Satch. I can hear a little of it in your playing.

I run the mids on my Herbie at about 2-3 o'clock. Treble around the same. Bass at about 11 o'clock. Presence at about 10 o'clock and Deep at about 9 o'clock. For aggressive gain tones, I use the scoop function to slightly notch a bit of mids and then give it a little extra volume. For leads, single note stuff, and wet sounds I don't notch at all. Its pushing a ported 112 with an EVM clone in it.

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Makes sense - When I ordered this guitar I'd basically assumed that at some point I'd pull out the stock pickups for a PAF Pro and, well... Maybe an AT-1 or something in the bridge, so I had specs in mind for everything BUT the pickups. I finalized the order over the phone with Matt's Music, and Jay there suggested I try the Thornbuckers based on my description of liking a slightly boosted PAF sound and really liking the PAF Pro for its almost singlecoil-like attack. I figured they'd be gone by now, to be honest, but I actually really liked them when they showed up.

And thanks! This was all cut with a Mesa Roadster, so these days my tone is a little smoother and middier thanks to the Mark V. Like I said, I REALLY need to get working again. :lol: Satch is a whole world beyond me, but I've been practicing a ton for the last couple years and hopefully have a little more defined of a voice in my own playing. It helps that I've also learned how to alternate pick properly. :lol:

Thaeon likes this.
  18. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Dude, we're about to start recording our first outing as a band, and my solos SMACK of Satch. Can't get off of Dorian over Minor and Blending Mixolydian and Pentatonic Minor Blues. It just sounds so damn good. But I'm getting a little bored. I don't think audiences notice. :lol:

19. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Time to use Phrygian and mix Lydian with blues pentatonic.

Thaeon likes this.
  20. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR SS.org Regular

You have contour selected so it pushes high mids?