A decade in the making: behold the KxK!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Hollowway, May 1, 2021.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Well, shit. I wasn’t aware of the post war hate crime stuff it had taken on. A smarter individual would have probably done a little more research before he paid to have a guitar based on it, but I am not that guy, lol. The flag itself is cool, and as a white American male, I am obligated by meme and cliche to be fascinated by all things Japan. Which is precisely why I did it. But, I guess I ought to do a little more research into the current use of the flag.

2. Hollowway

I appreciate the insight, too. This is one of those times where I’d like to go to my wife, who thinks guitarists and metal musicians are all knuckle-dragging mouth breathers, and say, “yeah, my friend on SSO pointed out that the Imperial Japanese war flag has taken on disturbing nationalist, ethnocentric tones, and is being used to incite hatred and violence to minorities in Japan.” Honestly, those are the reasons I hang around on here. I can learn about guitar stuff by googling a specific question. But random stuff about every conceivable topic comes up in these discussions, and I learn so much.

3. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Yea, I remember back when I was like 15 looking at guitars on the internet and my dad coming over when there was a guitar case with the rising sun pattern on it and being like, "You know what that is?" and vaguely something about my grandfather (WWII vet) would be flipping out. And I was like, "doooon't caaaaare". And to some extent I don't know if people should care if it's mostly lost that meaning and the people it would offend are mostly dead.

But I don't think I thought anything else of it until moving here and seeing it as the banner for these groups, and hearing the effect on korean/chinese people's lives. I think people would be surprised how much racism is in Japan, and how brazen some of these groups are. I'm still shocked how they're even allowed to say some of these things -- in the US you usually have to hide your hate behind some other banner cause.

But I should also say it's used for less sensitive purposes too, and whether or not it should be is a bit of a contested issue.

4. Hollowway

Ya, coincidentally, right after I posted that last comment, I went on FB and saw a post from Splawn with the flag. So I googled it, and yeah, lots of stories about Korean hate, etc. My wife is Vietnamese, and it reminds me of the issues with the current flag over there. Most Vietnamese people here favor the old, pre-communist flag. When they see the new flag, and what it represents, it causes a lot of bad feelings and arguments. It’s not as severe as what those Japanese groups are saying about the S. Koreans, but it does show that a symbol can carry a lot of weight.

Captain Shoggoth and narad like this.
  5. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

I think most citizens of other non-autocratic states have a slightly different impression of this.

6. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

Pretty long journey to get here, but damn gorgeous. Love the inlays on the maple.

Hollowway likes this.
  7. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Glad to hear you finally landed this. A truly fine looking instrument!

Hollowway likes this.
  8. IAO

IAO SS.org Regular

Interestingly (maybe?), since the design uses a partial sun, it looks kind of similar to the livery used by the U.S. Navy fighter squadron VF-111 — the “Sundowners.” Which I gather had origins in WWII as mockery of the Japanese War Flag. A sinking, or shot-down sun rather than a rising sun, if you will.

[​IMG]

Granted, that’s gonna carry its own set of associations for better or worse. This photo was taken over Vietnam in ‘71.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VF-111_(1956-95)?wprov=sfti1

9. narad

Ha that's a subtlety in visual metaphors I don't typically associate with the USAF! Interesting to learn of it.

10. Hollowway

Wow, I had no idea this existed! Thanks for posting this.

11. thorgan

thorgan SS.org Regular

Happy NGD man that thing is sick, I actually just recently picked up a kxk and am pretty blown away with robs work, enjoy!

mphsc and Hollowway like this.
  12. Hollowway

Which one did you get?

13. thorgan

thorgan SS.org Regular

#27 7DC, semi hollow black limba with blue birdseye top, haven't gotten around to doing a NGD for it but am looking for the right pickups for it at the moment.

Hollowway likes this.
  14. jjcor

jjcor SS.org Regular

Wow! That looks amazing! Makes me miss my KxK. Also I thought I had patience waiting for my Daemoness for 7 years. You got me there :lol:

15. Hollowway

Nice! That's @HighGain510 's old guitar. I really like that one.

16. narad

What isn't

17. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Holy shit he finished it :eek: Glad to see this finally made it's way to you :yesway:

Yeah I'll guarantee nobody including Rob thought this stuff would take this long. Having to relocate the shop, a back injury, and having to take on a full-time day job really slowed down his guitar work. He does seem to still be slowly making his way through the back log though. Actually, I haven't heard from him in a while I should drop him a line.

Hollowway and AxeHappy like this.
  18. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

[​IMG] You are not alone ;-)
    Were I am really careful is when it comes to tattoos, you really don't want to have something tattoed that for someone else has such a negative meaning.

Hollowway likes this.
  19. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

[​IMG]
    Sounds to me like that guy is the same .. that's also how the neonazis run around here, I would not play that guitar if I was paid to do it

20. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

That symbol is still widely used by the german military, by bikers and even skateboard companies.

I would argue that the Iron Cross and it's variants aren't really seen as exclusively a Nazi thing outside of the US.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...do.jpg/1024px-AGM-88_and_AIM-9_on_Tornado.jpg