A change in playing style, due to poor health

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mvotre, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

Ok, sad history time

Always played guitar, for fun. Always had said fun. But a few weeks ago, I made a decision: to learn to play ONE style really really well. Since I don't get a lot of time to play, I'm fairly old (35), and I like to do things nicely, I would choose one style I love and try to master it. Options: blues and chord melody jazz... (yeah, whatever :nuts:) In the end I chosed jazz.

Here comes my problem. I got fairly small hands, and a busted left wrist. After a lot of pain and doctors, I found that I really wrecked my wrist as a child, and as a stupid kid who would just "walk it off" I got a weird ligament (or tendon - can't remember for sure). It is thicker and off center. So when I put too much stress in my hand, things go bad, and pain appears. Without meds, it takes a few days to got everything pain-free again. :ugh:

Since I'm working with big chords, and lots of stretches, my hand is killing me. So right now I'm forced to see what path I will take, AGAIN.

The doctor (the good one, and not the butcher one wich just want to cut everyone open for money) advised against surgery. Too much stress for a hobby (and for everything else, he said - surgery would be a last resource, only if I couldn't stand the pain). Also, almost 4 months of recovery and fisio. So I guess this option is out, and my guitar playing will have to adapt to my broken body...

I tried to work with real small chords, or at least with less stretches, but doesn't sound right to me. So I think I will need to go with the other option in the beginning paragraph, and master the blues. Since I also love this style, wouldn't be a chore, and if I can play it really well, I don't believe I will be a sad panda. But it's hard to get some health problems in the way of my passion :wallbash:

ok, sad history over.... Just need to share my drama :ugh: Will change the 0.12 in my guitar, and off to blues land, I think...

PS: I posted in off, since I don't believe it's anything else. Just a guy weening around :squint:

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

You should start playing in open tuning. Open D or open C. Way more bar chords to be played with index fingers, not only this but the tuning very much lends itself to the blues.

I've actually never even played it but when I see people doing it it's like they can play chords/progressions that would be usually kind of complex with just like one or two fingers

I've always been interested in it, but I feel it would be difficult to re-learn how to play a guitar (with my left hand). But then again, self-preservation is a powerful motivator!

3. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

hmm, never though about that. But for playing with distortion, and anything blues/rock I can play just triads and chords with 7th, easily.

but I will search a bit and maybe mess with the cheap nylon acoustic here :lol:

4. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I've played guitar since I was in my teens. I've completely lost the ability to play twice.

The first time, it was due to wrist and tendon problems. I had to relearn my positioning, so that none of the tendons were forced to pull around corners unnecessarily.

The second time was due to stenosis affecting two fingers on each hand. After surgery, I couldn't lift any weight with that hand. I'm not saying they forbade me. i mean the hand was so weak I couldn't crush a soft sponge cube.

It takes a while to relearn without hurting yourself.

----

Both times, I had to turn to a occupational physical therapist who worked with symphony players, and who could help with optimum technique positioning.

You might consider the same. Ask your physician for a reference, which should mean your insurance will cover the referred services.

Good luck!

5. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

I feel your pain (well not literally of course).

I used to shred and play fast and hard music with ease (from preteen to young adult) with no problems whatsoever. That was before 7 or 8 years of physically demanding labor work, leaving me with permanent ulnar fasciitis. I've been through NSAIDs and SAIDs, multiple cortisone injections in my elbows and have been on disability. Needless to say I can't play like I used to anymore.

Since then I've become an educator, so no more heavy labor, but I still have to deal with pain every day. Still can't shred like I used too but as I get older I find that my interests have changed so it kinda works out for me.

It sucks when your passion hurts..

6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Tell me about it. I recently lost the tip of my middle finger on my right hand. Needless to say, it's taken some adjustment. Most of my overall playing style has remained unchanged, so I guess I'm lucky to be a metal oriented pick player. But let me tell you, I've never had a greater urge to fingerpick than I do now. Of course, wonderful sheer irony intrudes, as my ability to fingerpick has basically been reduced to slightly above zero. (My tapping ability has also been impacted, but I'm pretty sure I can adapt that with simple practice.)

It sucks, but sometimes you have to accept limitations, and part of doing that is not letting such a limitation affect your enjoyment of playing. Despite one of any typical guitarist's worst fears having come to pass, I've just gotta keep on keepin' on, and so must you, and that means we've gotta keep loving it.

7. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Slide guitar is dope as fvck. Perhaps you could give it a try?

8. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

DAMN! the slide always sounded cool to me, but that solo.... :eek:

must be the most amazing thing I ever heard!!! thanks for sharing

9. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

Literally first thing I thought when I pulled up this thread.

Or Lap steel, and you could move from there to pedal steel. Like 7 strings? Try 13 and you bend the notes with your knees for Christ's sake :lol: As far as pedal steel goes, Robert Randolph is insane.

EDIT: And you can get a lap steel (which is a pedal steel like Robert Randolph but you don't bend the notes with your knees) from Rondo for Under $200. Not sure what that'd be like international shipping and in Brazil and whatnot but it's worth a gander anyways.

10. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

damn, never tought about lap steel. I messed with slide yesterday, but to get the muting technique over 12 fret I need to really arch my back (not related to my wrist, but it's a bad thing anyway). Lap steel I can play like sitting on a ....ing couch :lol:

11. Fraz666

Fraz666 SS.org Regular

B.B.King changed the world without chords, I'm sure you'll find your way

12. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

13. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

Why not start small? :cool:

14. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

well, I just started really really small and built a new nut for my Parker guitar (a cheaper one). Now I got sky high action, and play it on my lap in open E; Since I just kept the original nut intact, and didn't changed the strings (0.11) if I decide to go that route, in minutes I can return my guitar to original :hbang:

15. facepalm66

facepalm66 The Master of Joints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzbA79ptJP8&spfreload=10

No need for introduction, I sure think : )