A Bit of a Disappointing Kiesel NGD

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by vignmachine, Nov 9, 2018.

1. vignmachine

vignmachine SS.org Regular

Sorry I was mistaken - I was quoted at just over 2200, it came to $2024 in the end.

2. vignmachine

vignmachine SS.org Regular

Thanks everyone for all of your comments. Honestly I really appreciate the feedback and varying opinions.
    For those who have opined that the hue and colouring is the same - which I don't necessarily agree with - even if we accepted that argument, the blackburst overpowering the purple to where it is only marginally visible is enough of a difference to alter the aesthetic of the paint completely. When I was speaking to the Kiesel sales rep, I didn't even mention the black - I actually asked for the blue and purple combo, and the sales rep pointed out the thin black line makes for a good accentuating feature.
    I have attached a photo with the flash on my phone on taken in a fairly well-lit room, at a similar angle as the reference photo. While I respect @spudmunkey 's opinion, I honestly would have been far more satisfied had this Zeus turned out like the CS6 NGD thread he referenced. To me, the purple is really a focal point of that paint job and I love how it plays with the blue. That's what I was after.

I also agree that it is an absolutely beautiful guitar. It is very nice looking. But to me, it's like when you're craving a Big Mac, so you got to McD's and order one, only for it to end up being a Double Quarter Pounder. You got an arguably a superior burger, but man, you had your mind set on that Big Mac.

And, honestly, as @makecamera noted - some acknowledgement that the blackburst was a clear mistake would have gone a long way. I didn't ask for a refinish or to send it back. Just admit you messed up and give me some friggin Arby's coupons or something. Instead, I got (what seems to be) typical Kiesel boilerplate that they throw up when their finish does not meet customer expectation. I just felt very unheard as a loyal and long-time customer and it sucked. Hell, even a "hey man we're really sorry you're not happy with your finish. Unfortunately, blah blah blah"... would have been preferable. It was just evident to me that it was a defensive tone at the outset.

Though again, I'm always open to accepting that I'm over-reacting. I am keeping the guitar and am enjoying playing it. It is just not what I had envisioned.[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Attached Files:

spudmunkey likes this.
  3. Ziricote

Ziricote SS.org Regular

Too much black but put your guitar outside in sun and take pics please. Its will look closer top what you want. I want see this pics brighter

4. fps

fps Kit

Oh my god, your guitar is absolutely stunning. I'm so sorry it's not exactly what you wanted, but it is an incredibly beautiful thing.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  5. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

6. Joel

Joel SS.org Regular

Yeah, I’m sorry you didn’t get what you wanted. But I actually this this looks way better than the picture you sent them. In my opinion of course.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

the problem is the size of the black burst not the solid/translucid part of it

avoid seeing the binding part of the zeus, so focus on the top flat part of the guitar. See how far the black goes, compared with how thin the black goes in that single cut. Similar to what PRS does, that not many people actually realize. They do a very tinny small burst on the edges of the guitar (not necessary black, usually a darker version of the top) which makes the top to look better more focused, which is what they should ahve had in here, instead they did a burst burst, which killed the purple in the process.

also for the OP, I do actualyl like your hue of purple better tho, (a more blu-ish hue), but if you see the refference pics of that single cut, you see the purple "purple", then on the edge burst of it (when it blends with the aqua) thats when it goes into a more "dark-blue/purple" before go into full aqua (maybe its the blends of the two colors)... and I fully bet taht your guitar is the same case, problem is the black "thin" line end up being sprayed as a burst, so basically they sprayed over the purple you wanted, only leaving the blue-ish one visible

....... or I could be wrong and they did indeed used a different hue of purple

8. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I guess they just had one of those stopped clock moments at Kiesel Towers.

Accidentally making something that looks good: Option 50

LeviathanKiller and Millul like this.
  9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

It looks like the black burst is indeed thicker but IMO it's partly an optical effect caused by the solid black bevels. Which isn't to say they did a good job matching the finish you wanted- they didn't and they're being shitty about it- but also I don't think there's a great way to pull off that same effect on a flat topped guitar with huge bevels. (of course, if they gave a damn, they might have talked to you about this instead of just taking your money)

10. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

Yet another case of Kiesel saying they can do a photo match and not even coming close. That said in this case it actually looks better.

11. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

This is what I mean when people mention all of their good experiences. It doesn't matter if you've thrown 5 figures at Jeff and his company. The second you butt heads and disagree on something, you're SOL. That's the problem, people who have run into problems have had fairly minor compromises they can live with. It's not about that, it's the worst case scenario that matters where you're truly fucked, and Jeff will leave you with a few options that you might not want to or be willing to take. Then you have to make the choice to walk away with your tail between your legs and the ability to give him more of your money. Or get your money back and also turn your back on the company. Thankfully this isn't damage or something that is functionally wrong with your guitar.

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Whether it wasnt what you intially wanted or not, that Zeus is fucking stunning OP.

Congrats on that. Its the nicest kiesel ive seen in some time and in its own right its a stunner.

Its not helped my GAS for some Headless Kiesels in not going to lie.

13. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Just wanted to chime in and also commend you on the beautiful guitar. Honestly though, for a long time customer, this should be a no brainer for Keisel. It really isn't that hard for them to refinish this, esp. to keep you coming back. They obviously gave you a black burst when that wasn't what you asked for, and I understand your disappointment. Jeff has no business sense, it seems like, especially for a 4x customer. Are you going to keep coming back to them after this?

fps likes this.
  14. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Nut they CAN do a photomatch, you just need to throw money at them:sharpie:

15. bracky

bracky Contributor

It looks awesome to me and close given the underlying woods are different.

16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Jeff is a complete twat lets not make no bones about it.
    Its obvious too just watching how he is on the Kiesel streams let alone all the customers he regularly screws even IF they have spent thousands of dollars on his business.

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

18. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Dirt Magurt

It does look very nice, I think it will grow on you. Try taking it outside for some well lit pictures. It should help you see more of the awesomeness.

19. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

That finish looks nothing like the original sample photo you sent, I'd be totally pissed off with that end result.
    I still don't get the bevel thing.

20. Slaeyer

Slaeyer SS.org Regular

Was thinking the same... The result is nothing close to what you asked for.