8 strings with trems

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by ogon, Jan 14, 2021.

1. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

I dont often ( or ever) see people with trem equipped 8's repeating these issues, only ever people who are hesitant of something theyve never tried. considering most use the trem for lead playing I dont think it matters if you have 6 7 or 8 strings youre gonna use the trem while playing in the same register on all.

2. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

8 string floyds work great. My schecter is my most tuning stable guitar i have... 8 string trem. Key for best performance (this applies for any guitar with a trem) is to use as light gauge of strings as you can stand. This allows the trem to flutter the best and makes it easier to maneuver the bar

Thorsday and Wildebeest like this.
  3. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

also tremolo stabilizers will remedy any tuning issues altho limiting the flutter a little bit.

4. ResistentialAssultSquadron

ResistentialAssultSquadron I like not this news, bring me some other news

I rarely use a trem for lead lines, but actually prefer them for riffing, subtle chordal flutters/embellishments, and or course slamming detune effects. No worries though, i think Aristides might have a solution to my 8s dilemma with the multiscale trem they're using on their headless models.

5. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

I use my tremolo in a petrucci esq way and that kind of lead playing is just stagnant without a tremolo and hardly possible to really nail right without one. and I still want to be able to play like that on my 8. I was praising the aristedes new headless 8 in another thread. im skeptical of the strength of their material though. I know its stable... but not enough talk from them about if its strong enough to withstand substancial impact compared to something like a multi laminent neck with titanium or carbon fiber reinforcements.

6. ResistentialAssultSquadron

I'm a "green" death hippie, and i'm a treehugger and hardline supporter of quality alternative resources being used in manufacturing. While i totally understand skepticism regarding synthetic materials in guitar building, the last thing i intend to do with a 3+k guitar is leave it in such a way that it gets fucked up in some boneheaded accident. Plus, i haven't read or heard a single bad thing about Aristides with the exception of people regretting they purchased one after realizing it wasn't their "thing". I'm also going to keep hawkeyed for used model on the webs.

7. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

im also very big on nature preservation and reversing harm done to the environment, but something I think should be considered is that in the entire guitar manufacturing process the most harm to the environment is done through the creation of the elctronic and metal products as well as creating the paints and coats and chemicals that cover them. most guitars are made from wood sourced from tree farms where the trees are a quickly renewable resource and done ethically. the metals and electronics not so much. the shift from wood guitars to resin/composite guitars isnt exactly as congruent as the shift from gas cars to electric cars.

8. ResistentialAssultSquadron

Man, i totally wish all these things didn't really matter and we could all get on with our shit...but you're right. I wouldnt even know of Aristides, or half the shit i use, if it werent for the internet. I read somewhere a word describing people like me as 'slactivists'. Nearly unplugged me laptop i was so enraged, lolol

teamSKDM likes this.
  9. Jeries

Jeries Banned

I tried the Schecter c8 Floyd and I would imagine its your best bet. on top of that it has a 28" scale neck, which is what I found to be PERFECTO! I would get a used one, try it, and if you don't like it, return or trade/sell.....I know many people here that would take it off your hands

10. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth literally just vibing

Is the whole suite of obnoxious trem wankery and fluttering then feasible on an 8 floyd with sufficiently light gauges and some elbow grease in the setup?

For my next custom I'm speccing a floyded Rhoads; I've been umming and aaahing over 7 vs 8; worried about the practical limitations of actually being able to use it on an 8 for shred acrobatics (the principal reason i want one), but id really rather not lose a string as I've been playing and writing on 8s exclusively for a good few years now.

How is the OFR 8 vis-a-vis the 6-string floyd models in terms of the the trem arm security/looseness and the block material? Have you had to compromise on gauges on the 7th/8th strings?

its tempting to go to Hantug for a balls-out lopro like that guy on here did a few years back until I look at the price, but even that hasn't put me off entirely if I'm already going to be spending custom money

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  11. Jeries

Jeries Banned

I think that's what makes the Schecter special, a lot of their exclusives, and their quality has gotten only better. I'm glad they have exclusivity on the OFR, but to be honest, 8 string trems are ridiculous. Bending up is always risky with the floating style, and bending down to dive bomb on a Low E (of a bass guitar too, despite it being electric)....and have you tried bends or vibrato, I mean Im a HARD player sometimes, so im rough on the strings and fretboard, but I hate doing bends to have any and all other notes or tones go slightly off pitch - its just really about intonation, I don't think you can ever quite get it right with so much tension. I am not an expert with this stuff by any means, but after all my years, especially with Dimarzio, I would get a hipshot fixed for a nice 8 string. that's just me.

12. trem licking

it's really not that different man. it feels and acts very similarly unless you go crazy with heavy string gauges/tension. trem arm can handle it easily as well (although i do not recommend the floyd push in arm socket... that thing is trash and will not work well with this setup). My schecter c8 is strung with a .007-.68 progressive tension set and the trem is badass. do recommend

Captain Shoggoth and Hollowway like this.
  13. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I agree with @trem licking. You can obviously set it up stiffer, but you should be able to set it up to feel the same.

And don't you dare get a V Floyd with 7 strings. It needs to be 8, because the gods reeeeeaaaally want to see one of those. V7 Floyds are a dime a dozen!

14. Captain Shoggoth

that's reassuring except the gauges - i normally use 9-80 in drop E and was planning on 10-74 in FADCGFAD - is there enough give for an optimal trem feel with gauges in the 74-80 zone?

thanks for the heads up, i've heard bad things about that socket. what options does one have for improving/(replacing?) it?

[​IMG]

plan was for an 8 of this but as a Waghorn Deity (caparison horus style 27 frets maybe?) because i prefer the upper fret access, neck heel + belly cut, he's only a couple hours' drive away and I'm already in one build queue with him

Hollowway likes this.
  15. trem licking

Yeah those gauges should work fine in that tuning. By crazy i meant 80-90 in standard tuning. As far as socket replacement goes, i highly recommend the magik arm. It's an arm/socket design that is pretty much exactly like the ibanez edge zero sockets. I've had mine on for awhile and its working flawlessly. A second option is the schaller branded bar... That worked well too for awhile but i broke it haha. Also, that guitar up there would be badass in an 8 for sure^ might be some neckdive, but it'd be worth it!

Captain Shoggoth likes this.
  16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

This whole thread: :wallbash:

17. Captain Shoggoth

cheers for the advice, and for the heads-up on the magik arm. much appreciated mate

trem licking likes this.
  18. Thorsday

Thorsday SS.org Regular

Agile Interceptor 827 with Floyd Rose works great for me. Trick it out with some FU-Tone bits, use custom (light) gauge Stringjoy sets, depending on how you tune... It's my #2 only after my Caparison Brocken 8.

cardinal likes this.