8 strings with trems

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by ogon, Jan 14, 2021.

1. ogon

ogon SS.org Regular

Having a beast of a time finding 8 strings with trems currently being produced / on the market. Ideally looking anywhere below $1200. I know Agile has made some in the past but I don't see any for sale now and don't know if or when they'll produce them again. I found one Schecter C8 with a floyd. I know Kiesel will make one. Is there anything else out there? Cheaper is good too but I'm really just wondering what options exist at all.

Also, in particular is there anything with 8 strings and a trem and a scale length longer than 27"?

2. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

Only one I can think of is the BC Rich Shredzilla:
    https://www.thomann.de/nl/bc_rich_shredzilla_8_pro_archtop_fr_sm.htm

but that one is 27", and more expensive

so yeah Schecter has the hellraiser C-8 with trem and is 28"

You also have the headless aristides with trem, than one is multiscale (28/26.5" I believe). But it is I guess around the 3k

A other option is Balaguer guitars, there you can select a 8 string with floyd rose and longer scale lengths, if you don't go to crazy on the specs it can be around 1800 dolors or so.
    Check the configurator:
    https://www.balaguerguitars.com/product/guitaronlinebuilder/

So not to many options that I am aware of....

trem licking likes this.
  3. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

I have the c8 with floyd, it is a rad guitar. If you do end up buying it, make sure you can adjust the truss rod properly. Mine was set a bit too deep into the neck/or too short, so i had to sand out the channel at the headstock in order to get the wrench to do a full enough rotation for a reset. I got a hell of a deal on it so i dealt with it. Otherwise amazing instrument though!

4. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Schecter C8 is your best bet. I think for longer than 27"-scale, Agiles will have a Kahler for some reason, but if you like Kahlers those obviously could work too.

Balaguer I think could work too

5. UnstableinLINY

UnstableinLINY SS.org Regular

Dean dropped an ML and exile with the multiscale kahler. I think claas guitars had an 8 trem they made them selves an I saw a couple etherial huitars sporting the T4M headless bridges. Thats all I can think of that hasnt been mentioned in previous replies.

6. ogon

ogon SS.org Regular

Anyone know if Ormsby has ever made an 8 with a floyd? Seen some sevens with floyds from them.

7. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Perhaps I must say that the 8 string ML looks ferociously cool, even because the headstock seems smaller on a big fretboard

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Nope. A few of us on here (trem licking and cardinal, for instance) watch the market closely for 8 strings with trems. We’d definitely own one if Ormsby had one!

trem licking and cardinal like this.
  9. ogon

ogon SS.org Regular

Just dropping in I found there is the Aristedes H08 with a multiscale trem from a company called Hantug, and the Applehorn 8 from Caparison which is a straight 27" with a floyd. Both very high priced options.

10. Hollowway

The Applehorn is ridiculously priced. Like that Snapper 8 trem that ESP just debuted. But the Aristides 8 with trem isn't that bad. With a raw level finish and the basic options you're only looking at like $3450 or so. (Plus customs duties.) Not cheap, but definitely the coolest 8 with trem out there currently. Brett Beebe sold his already, and I was going to buy it, but I couldn't rationalize the price until I hear some more feedback on the trem. It looks great, but I'm just paranoid, so I haven't put in my custom order yet (which will be pink, natch).

11. ogon

ogon SS.org Regular

@Hollowway Have you played any 8 string trems? I haven't. Given the two extra strings I guess it's guaranteed to be at least a bit stiffer but how much stiffer would you say? Does it still feel expressive (I know this is all super subjective) or is it annoyingly more stiff?

Hollowway likes this.
  12. Hollowway

Yep. I’ve played a few types. The Kahler feels pretty much like a 6 string Kahler. The Floyd is definitely stiffer than a 6 string Floyd. But it’s quite possible I could set it up to be a little looser. I haven’t played around with string gauges much. But, it’s not ridiculously tighter. It still flutters, dives, etc. Having played the Floyd and Kahler, I honestly don’t know why it’s so hard to find guitars with the Floyd. Seems like everyone over the past decade has made a Kahler 8, but Floyd 8s are still relatively rare. I’m super curious about this Hantung one, now. I suspect it’ll feel like a Floyd, mostly.

13. ogon

ogon SS.org Regular

I found this review of a 6 string Aristedes with a Hantung and the guy says it's pretty much like a Floyd. If I understand it correctly it's basically functionally identical to a floyd so I'd imagine it feels the same. He starts talking about the trem around 6 minutes or so.

edit: actually, not sure that's a hantung. Pretty sure Aristedes uses them for the 8 string. Not sure on the six string. Very similar design in any case.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021 at 3:22 AM
  14. ogon

ogon SS.org Regular

Listened to some Aristedes clips. They sound absolutely ass IMO. Wish I liked the sound - I would save for an H08 with trem and my decision would be made. All sound hollow and lacking bottom end. Almost like a piezo-ish plasticy click click kind of attack. Hard to describe. Disappointing. Could be the pickups or the amps being used I guess, there weren't that many vids with non-high-gain tones to judge from, but they all suffered from the same thin clacky sound IMO. Anyone had personal experience with an Aristedes in their set up?

15. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

right now im looking for the same thing for around the same budget and ive concluded my best option is to get a schecter banshee elite 8 for around 6-800$ and spend another 500$ on the floyd rose and a luthier to install. maybe a similar thing might seem worth your time.

16. ResistentialAssultSquadron

ResistentialAssultSquadron I like not this news, bring me some other news

I favor trems for 6 and 7s, but cannot get over how utterly useless they'd be for an 8 in practice...and just trying to imagine what a potentially massive pain in the ass it might be to change strings and set up properly to stay in tune well enough to make using one a practical choice. The appeal of glissando techniques are cool, but the potential pitfalls seem to outweigh the usefullness of one, especially something as in-the-way as a floyd. I dunno, I'm just curious if it's possible for one to not be a huge PITA and to actually be useful.

17. ogon

ogon SS.org Regular

Just as useful as a trem on a 6 I'd imagine. An 8 has all 6 normal strings so why not? More temperamental could be an issue but I've been dealing with floyds for a long tone and I'm used to it and don't find it annoying anymore. As long as its installed correctly and everything can handle the tension involved it should be just two strings more work than a floyd on a 6.

18. Hollowway

I don't see how it's any different than a 6 or a 7 string trem. I have 2 8 string Floyds, and it's just like the 6 or 7, but with 8 strings. At least for me, it feels pretty normal. Which is also why I don't get why we don't see more of these out there. They seem like a logical thing to make as an option.

xzacx likes this.
  19. ResistentialAssultSquadron

ResistentialAssultSquadron I like not this news, bring me some other news

I think trem tech is starting to catch up with the ERG scene, just personally not a fan of the old floyd any longer...the Aristides multiscale trems are cool on paper and in demo, but i've never even played an Aristides before. The only 8s i have anymore are 2 multiscales @ 26-27.5" and 26.5-28"...as a consistent player of my 8s, i'd find it unappealing to go back to the straight 28" scale i had on my 1st 8. That said, i would LOVE to not only play an Aristides, but moreover an 8 string multiscale headless with their oddly functional Turkish trem systems.

Hollowway likes this.
  20. Hollowway

Yeah, I really want one of the multi-scale headless 8 trem guitars Aristides has now, too. That seems like a super cool all around instrument.