8 stringed dilemma!!!

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by screename1011011, Mar 28, 2013.

1. screename1011011

screename1011011 New Member

Hey guys. I'm totally new to 7/8 string stuff (as well as any sort of guitar forum). I'm a little lost... here's my question: what 8 string guitars should I consider purchasing between $1,000 and $1,500? Thanks!
    DK

2. WaffleTheEpic

WaffleTheEpic Banned

Why spend that much on your first ERG? You might not like it.

In that range though, you could find a nice used RG2228, new and used Carvin DC800s... Higher end Agiles... etc

3. berzerkergang

berzerkergang Banned

Personally, for your jump from a 6 to an 8, I would spend less on something like an RG8 to see if you like the feel and working with an 8. If you like it then you can A. sell it and upgrade or B. modify it with better pickups and so on. Schecter, Agile and LTD also have some great entry level 8 strings.

4. tripguitar

tripguitar Settler of Catan

if you have specifics in mind you could easily get a Carvin DC800 for that price range. You can go to carvin.com and built a guitar to your specs (not everything is customizable but there are alot of options). Thats what i have and i love it, although some people dislike the pickups. i dont mind them.

If youre an ibanez guy, people seem to really like the Ibanez RG2228 - you could probably find a used one in your price range.

if you want to save money on your guitar and get better pickups check out rondomusic.com they have a bunch of really well priced options. or you could get a brand new ibanez iron label for 900 i think.

hope it helps!

5. WaffleTheEpic

WaffleTheEpic Banned

My Agile Intrepid 8 string is up for trade/sale in the classifieds if you wanna take a look.

6. screename1011011

screename1011011 New Member

7. berzerkergang

berzerkergang Banned

Best bet is start with something affordable but with quality. Keep it around 800 or under.

8. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Ibanez S8 for a great neck and if you dont mind stock pickups
    high end agiles (great value ... IF ... you are in america)
    carvin DC800
    possibly a second hand RG2228

9. DarkRain93

DarkRain93 Banned

What are you looking to do with it? Have it in standard or drop tune it?
    Longer scale would do best for tuning security ,and shorter scale is more for comfort.

10. BCrotchett

BCrotchett Blanco NiƱo

You probably don't wanna drop that much money on your first ERG but if your convinced to do so atleast go to a guitar shop and play as many as possible. This will give you a feel for the scale length you want and help determine if you're comfortable enough with an ERG to spend that amount of money.

11. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

12. JohnnyClaiborne

JohnnyClaiborne Audio Engineer

I agree with the guys saying "spend the money and learn on something that doesn't suck" If you hate it, its way easier to sell a midrange axe on here than a POS 300 dollar guitar that you're gonna hate right off the bat.

13. XxStatiX

XxStatiX The Aura

Play them and see if you like them man.
    The Iron Label 8 seems great?
    Or a used RG2228.
    But the RG8 isn't crap!

14. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

I just ordered a DC800, after returned a schecter damien 8 string, which was the first 8 i ever owned. I know I want a 8 string, so thats why I got it. I also just got my first 7. If you know you want a 8, then get a carvin. You cant go wrong with it.

15. Orgalmer

Orgalmer Chuggasaurus Rex

For $1,000-$1500 in the US I assume you could get a fair bit, at least a few guitars from Schecter, Ibanez, LTD etc. Over here in AU that's not much, it might get you a mid/high-end Agile but if you're looking for an RG2228 or an LTD SC-608B or something you're looking at more.

I think it's good to spend time researching the instrument you're going to get rather than buy a cheap and possibly crap one. There are arguments for and against this though - this is just my opinion.

If you're proficient at playing a 6 then an 8 may feel like a handful for a while. I jumped from a BC Rich standard 6 to an Agile 8 with no issues, I can't say that everyone will have as easy a time as I had.

16. Orsinium

Orsinium SS.org Regular

If you don't have a seven or have never played one I would go for that personally because misha doesn't use an eight that often but they play seven strings on most of their songs. I would recommend getting a seven string and just drop tuning. The options are pretty similar though you could get an ibanez, schecter, carvin, or agile etc. But if your set on going for an eight string I would highly recommend a carvin or an ibanez both were pretty effortless progressions from a seven. I also agree with the not buying a cheap instrument but don't spend too much if your afraid you won't like it.

17. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

I vote Carvin. Best case scenario? You wind up with an awesome guitar for a good price with your own personalized touches. Worst case? You've got 30 days to return it.

18. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

10 days, actually; and just be sure you don't order any crazy, non-refundable options (they call those "option 50s") - because then there are no refunds. Like for instance I'm ordering a custom pink quilt DC800 - and Steve explicitly told me that that was an option-50 because they don't want any pink guitars back :)