8 string pickups, I've got questions, you've got answers!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by coreypla, Feb 18, 2017.

1. coreypla

coreypla SS.org Regular

I just purchased a used RGA8 and have heard the usual 'less than lovely' things about the pickups in it.

I went looking around for some replacement pickups and have discovered that most of the pickups are Ceramic for 8-strings. Very difficult to find Alnico 8-string pups.

I typically associate Ceramic pickups with a very brittle, ice-picky, modern djent sound. I am more of a progressive player and prefer a warm organic tone, usually I get that with Alnico magnets.

My question is whether or not there is a reason why most pickups for 8's are ceramic? And maybe I'm delusional thinking that all ceramic pickups sound like a hollow icicle. Maybe alnico warmth is too boomy for the low string on an 8, and the ceramic magnet focuses the pitch a bit better so not everything on that string sounds like a fart?

My second question is about a specific pickup. I noticed Dimarzio has a Super Distortion for 8-string, but it doesn't specify which position:

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/8-string/super-distortion-8

I assume then it's a bridge, but what do I do about a neck pickup? Does it work for both positions, meaning I can buy two and double-down? That even sounds like a bad idea as I'm typing this. A dedicated Bridge pickup typically won't translate well to a neck pickup (except for the JB I think i've heard).

Lastly, let me know what 8 string pups you suggest. Not looking to spend more on the pickups than the guitar here. I found some good deals on D Activator 8's but I was wondering if they were not great.

Any help would be awesome. I have an Agile 8 with EMG's but was looking for something a bit different!!!

:agreed:

2. macgruber

macgruber cat enthusiast

in general, alnico pickups on such a low tuned instrument turns the bass response into mush. the lower you go, the more important it is to cut/tighten bass going into the amp to preserve clarity. the warmer, looser sound may work fine on a 6 string but that response works to your disadvantage the lower you tune.

the Dactivator 8's are a great all around pickup and well balanced.

regarding the super distortion, as it's based on the 6 string version:

"The Super Distortion® is primarily a bridge position pickup, although it can be used in the neck position with a relatively low-gain amp. Specifically designed for solid-bodies: hollow and semi-hollow guitars can be hard to control with warm, high output pickups."

i'm a big fan of the dactivator neck in the bridge position due to the tightness of the bass response. however, if you want a more proggy tone for full chords the ionizer would lend itself to a fuller, more rounded tone for big chords without the sharper attack of the d-activator.

3. DeathChord

DeathChord FTW

4. macgruber

macgruber cat enthusiast

^^^ a set of those will cost more than his guitar, which he's trying to avoid. they are fukkin great pickups though.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 90% GAS 10% skill

I've heard good things about the eclipses from dimarzio. Lace X-bars are also great pickups.

6. DeathChord

DeathChord FTW

I didn't think about that but they can take an average piece of wood and make it sound great..lol

7. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

I have had dimarzio d'activator 8s, and was less than impressed. They lacked attack, thump, and clarity.

I tried blackouts in one of my 8s, and the attack and clarity improved but they still had the drawbacks of actives, and lacked dynamics.

For all around attack, clarity and dynamics I'd go with the lace deathbar or X-bars. The alumitone line is great. None of the pickups have a super over the top output but they are all really clear and dynamic.

It is also worth mentioning that I actually really like the Carvin A-80s that came stock in my dc800. They are pretty clear, and very usable. You may consider looking for a used set.

8. macgruber

macgruber cat enthusiast

if you are after a cheaper alternative to the lundgrens for 1/3 the price check out the agile cepheus pickups. they are supposed to be almost direct copies of the m8 for a lot less.

9. coreypla

coreypla SS.org Regular

Are the M8's really THAT good? I haven't tried anything by Lundgren. Like better than BKP good? Need to know the deets!!!!!

10. KnightBrolaire

it depends on the Bare Knuckle. Personally I think the Ceramic Warpig is a pretty good competitor for the M8 in terms of sound under distortion though they have pretty different eqs. The C-pig is also clearer under distortion and can handle chords involving the 7th and 8th strings way better ime.
    here's a bunch of demos I did of the M8 (in an all limba body) YMMV https://soundcloud.com/skwisgaar-sandervaal/sets/lundgren-m8

11. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard guy incognito

Where did you hear stuff about the eclipses? I've been digging and only found two clips that weren't promos with Javier. Really curious about these.

12. KnightBrolaire

13. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Seymour Duncans Pegasus 8 are Alnico V and a safe bet if you don't want ceramic at all... they don't sound mushy (Have them on a seven) and perfect for prog. cleans are great if you need some for your music :)

14. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard guy incognito

15. KnightBrolaire

yeah same here. surprised there's not more clips considering how popular the ionizers are, kinda figured javier's pickups would be popular too.

16. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

I tried the Super Distortion in an Agile 8 string and hated it. Has this big hump around the 200s that's a nightmare to EQ around.

Have you looked at these?
    Bare Knuckle Impulse
    https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=contemporary&pickup=impulse

17. KnightBrolaire

18. coreypla

coreypla SS.org Regular

One of the first things I did was check to see if the Impulses by BKP were in an 8-string yet. It sounds like that would be a great market for the pickup, but sadly...

^^^^^^

:noplease: