8 String Pickup Help (Fishman, Bare Knuckle)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Marv Attaxx, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx SS.org Regular

Hey guys :wavey:
    I own a RG852 Prestige (basswood, active routing) with a set of EMG 808x and while I enjoy the high gain tones I can get from these things I miss sparkling single coil sounds.
    I'm a one-guy-for-everything-guitar kind of guy and so I'm looking for something with the following characteristics:

- Heavy high gain sounds (like Wormwood-era Acacia Strain, Humanity's Last Breath, Architects etc.)
    - Coil- splitting with excellent clean tones (Animals As Leaders, Polyphia, Jazz, ambient or acoustic stuff etc.)

So it's basically within those two extremes since I rarely play mid-gain/Crunchy rock stuff. I like it modern voices but not as mid-heavy as most modern djent-acts.
    I originally ordered a Guitarmory Patriot Set (the infamous GOC run) but after 21 months of waiting I'm tired of this and started looking for new options. The best option would probably be the Tosin Abasi Fluence Set but the problem is that it's difficult to install and since the electronics cavity is super small there probably needs to be routed a battery cavity and I have noone within 100km who can or wants do this, apparently :frantic:

Since I live in the EU I started looking for Bare Knuckles (which are still pricey but who knows what's gonna happen after Brexit) because they offer (pretty) soapbar covers. TLTR: Does anyone have experience with pickups like the rags, aftermath, juggs or painkiller in a basswood 8 string in Drop E?
    Any other suggestions (soapbar pickups and only stuff that's easy to get in the EU)?

Also looked into Lundgrens but they're hella pricey and I don't like big logos on my guitars :lol:

Thanks!

2. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

I had a pair of rags in a RG2228.
    Very cool pickup that can digest a lot of gain so you can go from heavy tone to cleans with no problem and without that "wha" voicing that the juggs had.

Imho its compression and overall bright voicing are perfect for Mid gain tones.

Dunno about split coil sounds.

Rags are pretty versatile and are not the ultimate ultra djent pickups that can only do distorted tones.

Marv Attaxx likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

Juggs have great split coil sounds. tbh for what you want to those are pretty much the best option.

Marv Attaxx likes this.
  4. Marv Attaxx

Thank you very much for your input!
    Yeah, based on the descriptions I thought it might come down to one of those two :)
    Maybe another help: my fav passive pickup so far was the D-Activator, so something that comes close to that would make me very happy!

5. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

Never tried the others, but the Fishman Tosin set does exactly what you're after. Both humbucker voicings are killer on both pickups, and the combined single coil tones are just as good. Everything from aggressive modern metal, old school thrash, classic rock, jazz, blues, country, with zero compromise for any of them.

Gmork and Marv Attaxx like this.
  6. Marv Attaxx

So, it seems like I found a local luthier after all! That means I'll probably go with the original plan, the abasi fluences :)
    Thanks for every input tho!