8 string newbie string gauge thread

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by DrSadisticPhD, Nov 6, 2019.

1. DrSadisticPhD

DrSadisticPhD SS.org Regular

Hey everyone, I bought my first 8 string recently and like a lot of people, I've discovered that 10-74 on an RG8 just doesn't do the trick for me.

So. I use 10-52s on a 25.5" in standard down to drop C# (sometimes drop C), then I play a 27" 6 string from drop B to drop A with 12-68s (which feel a little tight in B, but it's playable).
    I also have a 26.5" 7 string for Drop A which has 10-52 + 64.

What would you guys recommend for my RG8 based on that? 10-74 feels a little too heavy on the E, A, and D strings, but too loose on the B and E. Am I looking at a 90+?

I also tend to prefer Elixirs and their max gauge is an 80.
    Why do I have to be so picky...

2. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Sounds like the Ernie Ball skinny top / heavy bottom might be right for you. It's a 9-46 on the top six, then a 64 and an 80. The 64 sounds like it would be more comfortable on the higher strings, looser on the B than the baritone 6 you have, and tighter on the low E. If the 80 isn't tight enough for you on the low E, you're probably not gonna be satisfied with any set that's currently on the market and will have to make your own. But I'd try out that set first and then get some single strings to swap out the low E so you don't waste your money.

If you're dead set on using Elixirs, I'd suggest building a custom set out of single strings similar to the Ernie Ball one I posted with an 80 as the low E, then if the 80 isn't enough try one of their bass strings - it's what lots of people did back in the day when >70 guitar strings weren't widely available. It's tricky finding what gauge works for you and your preferences, trial and error is unfortunately the only way to know for sure.

3. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

Nyxl 9-80 set

klaim likes this.
  4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

My website (see signature) will convert your preferences into suggestions - I'm also in the UK :) Yes, 9-80 would be a good start fairly in line with your average preferences in tension.

5. DrSadisticPhD

DrSadisticPhD SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice, guys!
    @Winspear your calculator is genius! I've been using StringTensionPro and it's such a pain to go back and forth between tabs to balance things up, but yours is great!
    I've just ordered a single 90 from your site to try out too :)

Looks like Elixir makes a 9-46 set, so I'll try that with a single 64 and an 80 and see how that feels.