8 string neck profiles

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by jwade, Apr 28, 2016.

1. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

So I've never owned an 8 string. I've played quite a few for short bursts at stores, and rented an RG8 for a week awhile back. As I'm about to start carving the neck of the 8 I'm building, I thought it might be a good idea to open a discussion about neck profiles.

Enough of you guys are familiar with/own/have built a good variety of 8s, so I'm wondering I anyone would like to chime in on your preferred neck profiles for 8s.

2. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

I've had a couples of 8s

My favorite profile so far is that of my Aristides 080.
    Normally guitar necks go from thin to thick, and this one its just the opposite :)
    This goes from like the "thick" part of a ibby neck to a insanely slim after the 12 fret.
    You have enough thickness at the first frets for chords and cosmic speed thinness afterwards. Reminded me of the idea of a Endureneck without that trapezoid shape (where again it starts really thick to thin).That and the almost non-existent "heel" make up for the best upper fret access ever.The shape would be a C-shape to an almost Thin U shape imo. Best profile so far. I find it more comfortable and faster than my Ibanez 1527 Neck.

My second spot is for the Ibanez RG852 I had. This one is also #1 on my Ibanez neck list. It was fast and slim but not as extreme as flat as the early ibanez necks, had more of "C" shape. What I liked the most is that I felt like I was playing a 7 String neck rather than a 8. It had a bit more of string spacing but I found that perfect for those licks where you have to tap the first notes with your left hand and tap chords with your right hand. Like I did not feel like I was cramped but more like I had "more room to play with".

I also had a DC800 with a 3 piece walnut and 2 maple stripe construction. The walnut made the neck have a great almost porous feel akin to wenge in my hands. The C-shape made it easier to play for extended amounts of time than flatter Ibby necks that I had tried like the 2228 and Rg8. However, I think this was one of those "slimmer neck" option because I bought a Vader 7 afterwards and that one was much more fatter than this one.

I also used to have an Agile 828 that had a baseball bat as a neck profile. Worst ever :)

3. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

Ibanez necks are too thin and flat for my large hands to play for very long before they, my wrists, and my arms become inflamed. Schecter was a better fit but I got an Agile Intrepid instead and its closer to the Schecter. I'm weird, I like narrow baseball bat necks

4. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I find my RG7621 a little bit tough to play for overly long periods before I need to switch to my SG or LP for awhile. I'm guessing that the profile on the TAM100 (19 mm/21 mm) and the M8M (19.5/21.5) wouldn't be overly compatible with me.

5. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

I wish ibanez would have a fatter neck option. I love Ibbies but the skinny neck is their biggest downfall for me. I swore by a nice round Fender C shape until I picked up a PRS. I almost never get sore now. I'd be interested to feel a PRS 8 neck..

6. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I think I'll probably go with something like my SG, .85/.92