8 string lace pickup knowledge/experience please

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by beavis2306, Aug 3, 2014.

1. beavis2306

beavis2306 Lusts for gear

Howdy peeps, i'm looking for some info/opinions on lace pups for an 8 string with passive routs that i have. I'm looking for a djentish type high gain tone that's clear and even across the strings and clear, even clean tones which aren't harsh - i've got 7 string juggernauts and love their neck pickup clean sounds.

The guitar is ash bodied with a maple neck and with the aftermaths that are in it it's very bright. I quite like the aftermath distortion but i'm having issues with 8th string pole piece height. Any higher/lower (i'm talking half a turn) and the string has no sustain when fretted at all and sounds choked. This wouldn't be an issue except that because it's so close the 8th string has a lot more bottom end than the other strings, isn't even tonally and is just generally pissin me. I've tried warpigs and they're awesome too but i had similar 8th string issues.

I'm interested in the deathbar bridge/x-bar neck but do not want to rout the cavities or drill new mounting holes. Can anyone tell me what my options are as far as using the passive routs and mounting hole pattern? Also can anyone provide tonal experience with these things in 8 string context and whether they're suitable for a bright guitar like this? Sorry for the saga and thanks in advance.

2. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

Lace does not make 8 string passive route pickups. Just the Deathbar 4.0 which i designed to fit in an 808 route. No plans on a Deathbucker 8 either, as far as I know.

As far as tonal qualities these things are clear as a bell and have a lot of presence. You can practically hear each individual string in a chord. I didn't have much of a problem trying a Deathbar/XBar set with my friend's 7 on my amp, though it was mahogany body, maple neck and top, not as bright as yours. If you are really concerned with brightness just use the recommended 250K pots, then go up to 300 or 500 if it's too dull.

3. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard guy incognito

I've seen examples where people have put the bars into passive mounts. You just have to get a size smaller and the space for the tabs will be empty. Probably best to do a lot of measuring though. If they do fit, you'll still need to drill holes for the Laces. Unlike every other pickup they have a screw in each corner instead of two in the middle.

4. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

This is true, forgot about that. But there's always the risk of a string spacing issue as well. The highest and lowest strings may fall outside the magnetic field, especially on the bridge pickup. I had this issue with my Dissonant Aggressors in my Iceman. The bridge pickup ring was slightly off center towards the bass side and the high E wouldn't be picked up, so I had to move the ring.

5. beavis2306

Yeh i thought there might have been issues. Thanks very much for your insight and experience chaps.

6. gigawhat

gigawhat All 6s and 7s

Maybe it's just the DAs, or signature pickups in general, but I've never heard of that issue with any alumitone or derivative there-of. Ola Strandberg used the Aluma-90 for 7s before Lace made ERG pickups. The string spacing was pretty much just as wide as the pickup, but it was never a reported issue, even with people specifically testing for it. Check out some old strandberg NGDs. And I do mean old.

In fact, pretty much everywhere I've read about it, including on this forum from Lace themselves, says that the magnetic field for the bars is pretty big, comparatively. Definitely wider than the pickup itself.

As to the passive 8, you will want the 3.5 Bars, as they are for Active route 7s and passive route 8s. I wish they would state that completely on their website, besides saying for 7 and 8 string guitars, but I guess it's a liability thing.

To be sure though, I would definitely measure your pickup route. The bars also don't go straight down, they kinda curve inward. It's weird. Lol.

I currently have the DB7 and the Aluma-7 in my KM-7 now and it sounds awesome, even better than my death/X-bar did in my old mahogany Hellraiser, and that shit sounded great. Does high gain extremely well, and with awesome clarity. Through tons of gain you can hear every note of whatever crazy chord you can think of. I've also never had a tone issue even when I tune down to drop F#. Volume and tone stay even across the board.

7. beavis2306

Thanks chief, i'll look into the smaller bars. Although my understanding of the bars is that they have four hole pattern which would require me to drill guitar. Pretty keen to avoid this.

8. gigawhat

gigawhat All 6s and 7s

Yeah, there is no getting around the non-standard pickup mounting. Though I offset that with the fact that as long as the guitar has pickups in it, it will be un-noticeable, and unless the guitar is an all-original vintage, it's not gonna lose much, if any value for the 8 new holes. To each there own though, but I would hate for you to miss out on Laces for that reason alone. They are pretty kickass. Their catch-phrase "It's like HDTV for your guitar" is pretty spot on.

9. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I used them in my Agile Pendulum 82728. Those are great pickups. Changed it for Juggernauts because wanted something different and maybe more "traditional".

I didn't drilled new holes... just screwed the screw (fiuf!) directly but very very slowly... in/out/in/out several times so the hole was well done... nothing to bother about, really.

And the split mode of the deathbar (I used deathbar neck and deathbar bridge) was awesome!! Normally used the split mode in the bridge for "djenty rhythm" style riffs. Amazing.

10. beavis2306

Are you able to adjust pickup height like this?

11. gigawhat

gigawhat All 6s and 7s

Yep, I just shoved a bunch of foam under mine, and that pushes it up, while the screws hold it down.

And I love the deathbar split in the bridge, djenty rhythm is a very good way to put it.

12. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Did it exactly like gigawhat one said:

13. beavis2306

Thanks very much for the info guys but i'm going to stick to pick ups that don't require drilling/carving up the guitar as it cost a bitch and i'd feel bad about doin it. Fairly disappointing that lace don't offer anything suitable for passive eights as i'm certain there'd be as much of a market as with the actives. I said as much in an email to them so now i'll just sit and wait for them to see the logic in my suggestion. Shouldn't take long :wallbash:

14. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I think the Deathbar/X-bar 3'5" will fit into passive 8 routes and for sure the magnetic field is wide enough to sound amazingly great like those pickups sound.

Also, sick aesthetics... really like the look of the black lace bars...

15. Deadnightshade

Deadnightshade U gonna eat that?

Slightly derailing, what is the pickup height of your laces in bridge and neck positions, with the last fret pressed?

16. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I am kind of weird about pickup height... I normally use the neck pickup closest as posible (about 1mm on the higher strings and about 3mm not more from the thickest strings because of the movement) but normally use the bridge pickup a bit far for a clearer sound. A bit more closer from the higher side but it depends on the pickup and guitar. I have used different settings for the same pickup in different guitars.

So I can say that a Deathbar in the neck position really really close to the strings sounds brutal, clear and defined. Amazing pickup.

17. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Pickup magnetic fields extend pretty uniformally around an inch to two inches off the ends, and the pole pieces individually don't massively impact the effectiveness of a pickup, it just happens that they give you enough wiggle room to account for the small changes in string volume.

A 3.5" X Bar will go in a passive 8 string route no problem, it's something I used for a long time, there's no issue of string spacing as the magnetic field of an Alumitone is actually bigger than a standard passive anyway, but the pickup itself is plenty big enough.

The four screw holes will need to be drilled by they'll always be covered by a pickup, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  18. beavis2306

Yeh i read one of your threads while trying to research these. I see you said "used" to use. What are you using now and why did you change from them?

19. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Sold the guitar to pay for a strandberg I'm waiting for (any day now!). The only 8 I have at the moment is a Jackson SLATFXMG 3-8 with EMG 81-8X and 60-8X, it's a hold over guitar, I didn't see spending the kinda money the X Bars cost in the UK for a guitar I don't use much.

My strandberg has Lundgren M8's, but my second slot will have X Bars or Aluma-90's.