8 string intonation issues

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Jaysus85, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Jaysus85

Jaysus85 SS.org Regular

Hey all,

another question for you guys as I am new to the 8 string. I've got a 26.5"-28 multiscale and recently went down to 52 and 74 from 64 and 80 (B and F) and tried tuning a half step down from standard.

My issue is when picking the bottom 2 string tend to go rather sharp, should I intonate based on the attack or where the note settles? How do you guys do it? Either way seems like some sort of compromise, chords won't be in tune or sustained notes won't...

I recently switch gauges from:

9, 11, 16, 24, 34, 46, 64, 80 to
    9, 11, 16, 24, 32, 42, 52, 74

to get a bit more bite but I've been having a hell of a time getting it to sound right and not feel like shit. Any tips?

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I'm afraid this is the compromise. You may find you are picky and require both brightness and tension, which puts you in the situation of wanting a longer scale.
    I'm one such person, I'll usually take the tension over brightness and do find that 80 sounds ok on 28". It could be better but it's absolutely usable and less of an issue than pitch wobble for me personally.
    For 28" really I like to stay in F# with a 76 - that extra semitone really does help.
    All you can do if you wish to stay how it is is indeed tune for either attack or sustain, or get used to picking lighter.

You should swap in a 56 or 58 instead of 52 - that'll take care of that string at least and is much more in line with the rest of your changes. Right now I'd expect that string to be the worst

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  3. Jaysus85

Jaysus85 SS.org Regular

Thanks Winspear, it is playing much better now!

Winspear likes this.