8 string down tuning

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by pinkslot007, Jan 27, 2013.

1. pinkslot007

pinkslot007 Member

about september of last year i bought a schecter damien elite 8 equipped with emg808s and guages 10-74 ... im fine with it so far( besides the pickups, im hoping to switch them for some Deathbar and x-bar pups \m/) but im having a problem with the guage of the low string. I tune to drop E .. which gives a tension of 13.786 for a 26.5" ... Im suffering from intonation problems, sloppy feel, dull sound, less volume and sustain than the other strings(example: when i strum a powerchord, there's buzz in the background and then the low string fades away after 1 second.. wtf!) im hoping to get a 90 to fix all of that but im not sure if that would be too big for the slot for the F# hole in the nut... and if i have to increase it, how do i do so without screwing everything up? lol plz help

2. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Circle K Strings

Drop E on a 26.5". Get yourself atleast a 0.090. You'll have to drill out your tuner most likely. It's really simple. I did it to my DC800.

3. pinkslot007

pinkslot007 Member

do i have to do anything to the nut? cuz i could just unwind the string...

4. pinkslot007

pinkslot007 Member

Also, how is the tone with the circle k 90. ive heard good and bad comments on the tone of the gauge 90(and up) string tuned to E1, especially with distorted tones. Does it get muddy? Do circle k strings have that weird chorusy sound with the low strings? Ive decided to get a 94 instead.

5. SPNKr

SPNKr SS.org Regular

I'd try that, may as well.

6. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I use circle k 90s on a number of guitars, they sound fine. They get bassist as you go down, just a touch, they aren't bassy as such and can easily be compensated for as you would anyway tuning that low.

I've not gone thicker than a 90 but I probably wouldn't, any heavier and it'll start sounding really weird IMO.

7. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

You can file the nut using the actual string if you have to.

Circle K makes fantastic strings for tuning low. You won't find another brand that makes a better set of strings for your guitar :)

8. shawnperolis

shawnperolis 7 String Indie Game Dev

I love the tone I get from my Circle K strings... I have a 30" scale though and I'm rocking a .98. I think a .90 is standard for the drop tuning 8 string guitars though, so you should be good with it. Drilling out a tuner is really easy, too.

9. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

im going to recommend that you use a smaller string, iv got a .94 from CK and it sounds way too bassy

10. pinkslot007

pinkslot007 Member

... From what im hearing from other ppl.. gauges in that range for circle k get bassy but enough for it to sound weird. IM confused :scratch: ... how much more bassy can a string get just by increasing the gauge by four? ... and i understand drilling the tuner is an option, but is the slot for the nut big enough to hold a 94 or 90?

11. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

I also have a Circle K .94 as my 8th string. You you will have to file the nut wider to accommodate a .94. I'm experimenting with tuning down to C# which is why I wanted such a thick gauge. I prefer an .90 for a low E, the .94 is a little too tight. Also, when you start tuning this low the strings have a limited useful range. I have found the .94 sounds decent at C# but turns to mud at C. Likewise, I can tune up to E with no problem but F# is pushing it. If I were you, I would try a .90 first, its what I think works the best.

12. pinkslot007

pinkslot007 Member

ok ... i just want something with tone, volume, sustain, no fretbuzz.. and doesn't flop around like my 74 lol sigh the only reason i was thinkin about the 94 was because i thought 90 wasn't enough lol but im now hearing that 94 is a little too much so 90 it is then. whats the easiest way of filing the slot for the nut accurately?

13. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

pay a professional to do it for you

14. pinkslot007

pinkslot007 Member

-seems legit- :hbang: ...

15. Cremated

Cremated SS.org Regular

^Take it to a professional for filing the nut. I guess you could read tutorials and watch videos on how to do it. I just took mine to a pro. Anything other than a setup I let someone else do. I just feel like I'm gonna fuck it up. If you file it too much you won't be able to get the action right and you'll have to get a new nut. You don't want to file it so much that the whole string sits in the nut. You just want to widen it a bit so that the nut holds part of the string.

16. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

Buy one of each and see which you like more :) Circle K has a lot of options, so after a couple sets you'll probably have a very good idea of what gauges you like, then you can order in bulk and save money :yesway:

IMHO, if you're doing drop E, find a balanced 7 string set you like the look of, then buy a single low 8th string. The 8 string sets are more or less designed for standard tuning, so when you tune the 8th string down it'll be lighter than the other strings. Buying a balanced 7 plus an appropriate single 8th gets around this :)

A 90's fairly heavy, so I'd suggest something like the 10-61 7 string set plus the 90 8th string.

EDIT: 10-61 + 90 + 94 so you can try each and see which one you jive with :yesway:

17. Given To Fly

This is the best way. Start with a Circle K .90 gauge guitar string. That will be your best option for drop tuning the F# to E because the tension feels normal in both tunings.

18. Variant

Variant Banned

I use a .100 on my RGA-8 (27.0" scale) tuned down to C0.

I was in D0 back when I was in Tripnol, but it went flat one day and I tuned it down... seemed like God/the universe wanted it that way... LOL! Tension's okay but I prefer a little slack for the sound in the studio.

Live though, a little more is nice for stability when you're being all sloppy, banging things around. :agreed:

19. pinkslot007

pinkslot007 Member

How legit is this method? i just bought a looper pedal and two pickups last week(lace deathbar nd x-bar) ... i dn't think i have any more money to higher a professional to do tht shit

20. Given To Fly

I believe Ibanez 8 string locking nuts are $300+. I paid a guitar tech $50 to file the nut and do a full setup. It's your call.