8-bit just went 8-string (Gradius video game content)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by iceythe, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

Okay, now I've got to ask... How the hell did you manage to get that bass so wet, fat, bassy, audible and clear at the same time? How?

E: BTW, the mix is just really, really good. I mean it.

2. iceythe

iceythe SS.org Irregular

I appreciate your kind words man. Just glad that the time spent on the mix was worth it.

My bass sound evolved to what it is just by chance. The settings on the bass itself is a blend of both neck / bridge pickups, scooped away mids and tone pot maxed out. On the pod I think I use the "Jazz Clean" amp with its drive and treble zeroed, bass, mids and presence maxed. I remember uploading the pod patch, a l6t-file, a while ago, which is found here (though I think you own axefx, right?).

By itself, coming just from the pod, it sounds OK at best. But I think the cherry topping is at the post-processing. In my DAW I use two stereo tracks (that's right) for the bass. They are both in center and use the same waveform, but I'll tell you my trick to avoid phasing.

- The first stereo track is the meat of the bass, clean-ish, handling the bassy sound itself and small amount of mids and very small amount of highs.
    - I use MonoToStereo-plugin to widen the spatial field just a little bit (only about 25%). I found this to be the perfect blend of spatial usage to compliment rhythm guitars.
    - I use a compressor with an inverted curve using my custom-shape-compressor from Melda. The inversion causes the attack to become more transient and and reacts a lot better to how you play the bass. You lose no sustain, you gain the attack, you can kill the sustain and you never get that sudden "wall of bass" gating that is pretty common. The inverted compressor curves like a hill, beginning almost flat and the higher gain the steeper it gets.

Here's the thing though, why use a stereo track at all? Well, stereo plugins won't work on a mono track. You could send the mono track to a stereo FX-channel but hey, there are many roads to the same goal.

Second stereo track is the opposite of the main one, dirtier than your common pub-hopping cougar's crotch. It emphasizes on high mids and highs (hi-pass at around 1-2kHz. This makes the bass sound a whole more wet-ish by a couple things.

- I use the built-in AmpSimulator in Cubase with a crunchy preset, very distorted but you still can hear minute details of the strings slapping around and getting raped.
    - The track uses a MonoToStereo plug-in (reverb plugins work, too, but reverb time has to be at virtually zero).
    A StereoEnhancer to further widen the high end. This is the only part of the bass (the high end of the spectrum) that is widened far out. It doesn't widen the low end. This alone counts for increasing the sensation of a more fuller bass, while the low end actually never leaves the center.

I dissected a section of the chorus from loop 1 with the bass so you can hear the breakdown of the tracks themselves and what kind of sonic properties they have.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1746601/bass-breakdown-01.mp3

0:01 - 0:08 Main bass track soloed
    0:08 - 0:17 Second bass (distorted, hi-pass) soloed
    0:17 - 0:22 Main and second tracks combined
    0:24 - 0:33 Main, second and drum tracks combined

Just hope that anything of this was helpful. I'm more than happy to share any settings I've found decent through the years of experimenting.

Nublet likes this.
  3. Kurkkuviipale

So, do you double track bass, or just copy one take?

Oh, and thanks for your awesome contribution. Gonna try every single bit of that text. You also seem to have mad drum programming skills. :cool:

E: I'd give you rep, but I already gave you on the other thread and the forum isn't allowing me to rep you lol.

4. iceythe

iceythe SS.org Irregular

I copy one take. You could probably achieve a certain wet sound from double tracking, too, but I'm just part lazy and part effective in my workflow. I also just think that double tracking anything at the same stereo field just requires me to play tighter on something that I gain too little to notice any differences.

Thanks, I never held a drumstick in my life haha. I guess a lot of the inspiration and creativity comes from ss.org and avoiding the drum map, just using the piano roll

5. Kurkkuviipale

Whoa it sounds already really much better. I can feel how I just got better @ producing thanks to you.

A little question... What kinda bus-processing do you have on drums? They sound really roomy and somehow fill the whole mix. I do have some bus compressing around on drums, but I never got them to sound that good.

:cheers: once again!

6. iceythe

iceythe SS.org Irregular

I don't know if you use, or have tried parallel compression before? It's the key for getting drums to ring out a lot more than they do just by themselves.

For the drums I use a sort of multi-out setup from SD2.0 and tweak them seperately (EQ, mild compression, envelopes and GClip limiter) in the DAW.

The multi-outs in my DAW go directly to my final bus, where they are just a wee bit compressed with the rest of the composition. This alone gives a dry sound from the drums, depending on your SD2.0 bleed setup. So I added a parallel bus solely for drums, by creating a FX-bus (fancier name than group bus) and did a bus send from the multi-outs to this parallel bus. This parallel bus in turn also goes directly to the final bus.

On the parallel bus I have a very tiny reverb going on. It's so tiny that it's virtually non-existent, at least until you compress it to shit :) The compressor curve is shaped in a logarithmic curve. This means that in fast paced, heavy and loud drumming, the sound is lightly compressed as normally, but as soon as the interval of drums increase and the signal falls down to the knee, the gain is retained giving that roomy sound.

Of course, this is exactly what a cookie-cutter compressor does, but the trick is to soften this knee-transition. The knee of the curve softer and steeper than what any other compressors I've tried were able to do.

A quick pic of how my parallel bus is set up and how the curve looks like. And to showcase my pro mspaint skills.

[​IMG]

7. Kurkkuviipale

Yea I do use parallel bus and compress the shit out of it. By 'final bus' do you mean the master bus of the track? If not, then ain't your picture wrong, as all the multi-out function tracks are automatically bussed to the master bus as well. That way there would be the ultimately dry signal (ofcourse processed, but still dry) and the parallel-bus+dry signal in the master bus.

I did a little test on the new bass sound (thanks million times for you, it's got about 10x better) and drums with extra low thresholded compressor on the bus-track.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11989434/Jetpacks Bass Test.mp3

Gah... now I'm feeling that this thread is going off-topic. Can I send you PM about this? You've been really helpful!

8. iceythe

iceythe SS.org Irregular

Your bass track is awesome!! Very full, tight sound. Details that just make it sound a hell of more massive. Happy to hear it worked for you :)

Yeah, I meant the master bus, where everything else is getting cooked. But essentially, it's just the last bus you use with compressors, limiters, harmonizers, final EQ'ing and whatever. Sorry, that should have been more clear. If the multi-outs and parallel bypassed the master bus, you would effectively lose a lot of the processing that the drums were meant to have.

Sure dude, I don't mind using this thread, or pm for that matter. If I can help out, then this thread was at least worthwhile!

9. Kurkkuviipale

Cheers, as a favor of your tips and such (btw, the MCompressor is awesome) I'm gonna suggest you a Waves RBass plugin. Just found about it a while ago and it had a huge impact on the bass audibility as far as I've tried it. Wroth checking out.

Thanks for all your help and keep up the great work! Can't wait to hear some more music from you. I'll be sure to pop you some PM if I ever stumble upon something.

:yesway:

iceythe likes this.
  10. sami

sami porkshop sammiches

OMFG What a great cover!!!

11. Larcher

Larcher fpoon Contributor

fuck. yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

12. Cancer

Cancer Cancer:The Crucifuct

Before MOLD I used to be in video game cover band, and we did this tune, and your version BLEW OURS AWAY. Nice work, man.

13. Erodrim

Erodrim SS.org Regular

My mind is blown by how good those tracks sound

Great job:hbang:

14. iceythe

iceythe SS.org Irregular

Thanks a lot fellas. I'm so happy that you enjoy it! At least more than I do.

As I felt that the 2nd part never really reached that climax that I wanted, I went about to make a new section with some layering madness. And after 500 takes later, this was the result. It's more like what I hoped the 2nd part would be, but I guess it's there in its own right.

So... here's loop 3

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
    <a href='http://www.soundclick.com/Iceythe'>
    <div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
    <div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
    <param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
    <param name="loop" value="false" />
    <param name="menu" value="false" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    <param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=10480767&scid=10480767&q=hi&ext=1&autoplay=0" />
    <param name="scale" value="noscale" />
    <param name="salign" value="b" />
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
    </object></div></div>

And with this I'll take a break from guitar as my shoulder and joints start to hurt. Think I have a headache lurking, too :scream:

15. Kurkkuviipale

It's like controlled chaos. Just great!

16. iceythe

iceythe SS.org Irregular

Woot, thanks bud!

Shame I can't edit the OP. I'm guessing some aren't finding the added sections :p

17. Kurkkuviipale

Go and double click your thread title on the recording forum subforum. Change it to something like "New content inside".

18. goth_fiend

goth_fiend SS.org Regular

dude, that sounds epic! up there with the metroid metal stuff, really fucking great!

19. IconW

IconW SS.org Regular

This is fucking good.

20. Iheartmidgetbooty

Iheartmidgetbooty Recording Studio Nub

I think my ears....No - Mind, just jizzed all over the place. ALL of those mixes sound godly. Great work!!! :yesway:

EDIT: It's like Animals as Leaders sounding but more metalish and less jazzy. I'm in love.