8-bit just went 8-string (Gradius video game content)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by iceythe, Feb 21, 2011.

1. iceythe

iceythe SS.org Irregular

Sup

Anyone ever play Gradius or Lifeforce (Salamander in Japan) on Nintendo? It was probably the first shoot'em ups I ever laid my hands on, let alone video game at all (dx ball on amiga doesn't count). Expect a few ounces of chaos.

Not too long ago I stumbled upon some videos of game playthroughs on youtube with the original sound track, sounds and everything. Being hit by a severe sense of nostalgia, I ripped whatever I could find from Gradius 1,2, Rebirth and the offshoot, Salamander - which are closest to my heart - and now I'm basically re-living my early 90s childhood.

Surprisingly a lot of these songs have potential as cover songs - or atleast my own interpretation - since a majority of game sound tracks from the 8-bit era use plenty of kick, snare, toms and hats sampling. Not to even mention the convenience of duplet, triplet beats and lots of harmonic leads. Heck, they are pretty metal as-is, though I just notched mine up a bit using my 8-string. 8-bit. 8-string. Strange connections. Anywho..

The mix is supposed to be my breaktrough, spending hours and hours refining every detail. Where I see improvement, I put it on my to-do list as I continue. Generally this approach hinders my progression, where I'd mostly dread to continue knowing that whatever comes next has to be up to par with whatever I have done, and that it needs the same attention. Which in turn will consume a crazy amount of time. The flipside of being your own critic, right there

:/

On a more or less happy note, I've pretty much stopped tweaking stuff (the mix template is a culmination of two-tree years tweaking and 50+ revisions) and now I may focus solely on composition, which I just find to be a lot more productive, and more fun!

Deep down I didn't want to change the tune too much, but I also didn't want them sounding like a complete copy so I just did my own thing, kept the initial beat, bass line and some leads critical to the original. From there.. well it kinda took off.

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
    <a href='http://www.soundclick.com/Iceythe'>
    <div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
    <div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
    <param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
    <param name="loop" value="false" />
    <param name="menu" value="false" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    <param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=10306928&scid=10306928&q=hi&ext=1&autoplay=0" />
    <param name="scale" value="noscale" />
    <param name="salign" value="b" />
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
    </object></div></div>

Original for comparison:

God forbid that I ever should find a working lead tone ever again. So, I'm afraid that's the best sound I could do for now. Another thing worth mentioning is the struggle for balance between rhythm and leads. I have intentionally lowered rhythm at certain areas, emphasizing on leads and such. If anyone has an opinion about that.. See it as an experiment on different sonic focus. Gear is same as before; podxt, s-preshigh impulse, SD2.0, Schecter C8, Yamaha bb615, Cubase, cheap coffee.

The "loop" cover is called "Power of anger". Releasing this fucker so I can begin on a new loop. Should I do a transition / progression or just make a new? All original tunes are just a minute long..

IconW, nojyeloot, tranqx and 22 others like this.
  2. thedrummerkid

thedrummerkid Sweater Bandit

THIS IS FUCKING EPIC.
    i seriously dropped my jaw after 5 seconds dude.
    :bowdown:

3. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

Holy.

Fuck.

4. thedrummerkid

thedrummerkid Sweater Bandit

5 listens in a row.

FUCK.

5. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

I'm having my fourth listen.

6. 13point9

13point9 Now with Less Hair!

just HOT DAMN

7. Semikiller

Semikiller SS.org Regular

Duuuuude Lifeforce is the shit! Major props to you for covering that song man. I remember playing this game all the time when I was little. Awesome stuff.... very very awesome. :)

Edit: If you can do a progression into the other songs that would be excellent.

8. iceythe

iceythe SS.org Irregular

Didn't expect this haha. Thanks guys. I'm so in love with the majority of the original tunes, I'm having trouble sequencing the potential ones. But I'm already working on the next part so I'll post an update here in a while.

9. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

10. Coffee Elf

Coffee Elf SS.org Regular

Wow. This isn't what I was expecting at all. Very well done.

11. georg_f

georg_f SS.org Regular

really amazing, one of the craziest video game guitar covers I've heard
    sound is also good

it's true, those 8 bit video game music is all 80s metal or japanese fusion kind of music

12. walshy0420

walshy0420 Member

DUDE, this is amazing! The more time I spend here, the more I'm blown away by members of this forum. An amazing interpretation of some very cool 8 bit music. But definitely nothing 8 bit about the production - marvellous! I can't believe you can get tone like that from a Pod as well.

:hbang:

13. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Sounds awesome man, very nicely done! :hbang:

14. iceythe

iceythe SS.org Irregular

Thanks :) I've noticed some quirks like strange drums in some places, in which I'll be straightening out, though this part is essentially done. The transition to next part is tracked down and now I'm building up and piecing together the new part which is one of the boss tunes. Just tons of layering, quiet parts, tension-driven storytelling and stuff like that.

15. ooidort

ooidort SS.org Regular

That's my childhood right there. Fcking awesome!

16. btfsam

btfsam Banned

ha man this shit is great, keep it coming!

17. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Dude I went as far as to download Gradius 3 from the SNES on my Wii, love those old games.

Awesome tune dude.

18. LOGfanforever90

LOGfanforever90 Banned

Jesus Christ! TONE! TOOOOONE! Great playing! I wish I played that game as a kid, sounds awesome. Can a brotha get a podxt patch for those tones? lol

19. iceythe

iceythe SS.org Irregular

So I finally had some time to work on the next section. Turned into some stupid cheesy progressions that were leading up to the boss fight. Now, the tune is just beyond recognition except for "chorus" parts that I just had massive problems getting the way I wanted it. Ever had a tune that's just so simple and awesome, but when you metalize it it just sounds dull and plain? Happened here. Well, dull to my ears at least.

Anyhow, a minute more of crap has been added if anyone wants to give it a listen. It must suck getting fed this slow and this little, but I'm just a slow guy. There SHOULD be one more loop to take care of. Ideally I want 3-4 more but that would just take months to complete and this grows old and boring really fast.

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
    <a href='http://www.soundclick.com/Iceythe'>
    <div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
    <div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
    <param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
    <param name="loop" value="false" />
    <param name="menu" value="false" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    <param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=10387037&scid=10387037&q=hi&ext=1&autoplay=0" />
    <param name="scale" value="noscale" />
    <param name="salign" value="b" />
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
    </object></div></div>

My pod's USB port is fubar, so I can't download the patches from it. MIDI just won't work either for some stupid reason. But if you want, I can write down the values in a PM.

20. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

More epic that Chuck Norris riding a shark whilst pimp slapping Courtney Love.